Tap Excuses

dutchmasterj3 said:
There was one guy in my class who fortunately doesnt come anymore who is the biggest pussy. If you got side mount on this dude and went for an armbar he would like tap out once you passed your leg over his head and had control of his arm.

Thing is though those people never learn. That dude must have been rolling for a year, and I started crushing his ass within my first 3 weeks of class.

I hate dudes who tap out to early and dont really let you apply the pressure cause it hurts both of your games.
And applying pressure on his arm will improve what really? If you have an armbar, how will it matter if you apply pressure?

Good point. My instructor does that sometimes, he will just sit there without putting pressure on my arm sometimes and I'm trying to wiggle out and he is just giving me that "Tap you asshole" look.

saying you can't do that to a perfectly legal move
making you seem like a cheap shot artist or something when your not

saying, I tapped to show you how to do it correctly, let me show you the right way.

minimagpro said:
the thing that bothers me is this, it happened about a week ago

theres this guy that comes to our gym named "shotgun" I dont know his real name but thats what we call him

anyway the 2 purple belts are just gently rolling around and I was like, "hey shotgun you just wanna get warmed up and roll gently for a few". he said ok

so we start rolling real easy and I armbar him but dont stretch it out and i just go back to gaurd.

He then picks me up and arona slams me and the 2 purples looked up and were mad because this isnt the first time this has happened with them.

When it came time to spar at the end of the class, one of our bluebelts proceeded to submit him about 15 times and pop both his elbows and he hasnt been back to class since but I hope he learned his lesson because that is not right

also im about 175 lbs and he weighs atleast 230
Its not right, but I dont think you should be popping his elbows...

i have gassed before but usually either wait till i am in a better postion to say so. if i don't better my posisiton then i don't say a word about it and take the next roll off.

Typically I just complement my opponent after a tap, especially if it's something slick. Sometimes I'll make an "old man groan" if I'm slammed that's not intended to be a tap so I guess that's an excuse.

Being big I sometimes get the guys who just taps out verbally when I finally work my way into mount or sidemount saying: "it's no use for me trying to get out, you're too big" or something like that and thereby denies me the practice of setting up subs. That's really annoying.
Still I must confess that I sometimes completely gas out when rolling with the skilled guys in our gym and when they flip me or pass my guard I'm completely smothered by them from any mount and must tap out or pass out.

My excuses for tapping to Jacare were as follows:
"I was about to fall asleep"
"That would have broke my arm"
"I was about to fall asleep again"
"That would have broken my foot"

They went on like that for a while...

Well I had one excuse.......I was grappling with the gi and this guy heel hooked me.....I wasn't expecting it b/c usually heel hooks are illeagal with the gi on.....but I love heel hooks with the no-gi.....so I was pissed b/c I would've heel hooked him a long time ago if I knew we were playing no holds barred.....but the only thing that came out was.....

"Nice HEEL HOOK."

"gi funk!"

woody might appreciate this. it hasn't happened yet but someday.

someday.

i always tell the guy thanks for the roll and ask for some tips/feedback or how he setup wht he did to finish me; my prob is tht people make excuses when they can't tap me or can't do it quickly, they find out i don't have a formal background and then wanna go ten times harder or spar again and again..cus they feel like they should not have any trouble w/a guy w/no real rank or training

ichimonji said:
I tapped early because that my bad arm, or leg, or ankle, or shoulder, or airway ...
HAHA!! bad airway.... anyways I usually only get the "you're bigger" which is true in most situations... and whenever someone taps me, specially whenever its something new to me, I always ask to see. No way better to learn something than to have it used on you!

This thread is funny.

I train with Japanese people and I don't think any of them have ever tried to make excuses to me. This could be becasue they don't think I'd understand them if they did.

Usually I feel like saying, man, I only beat you 'cause I'm twice your size!

I really don't like to crank subs too fast or hard, if a guy's not tapping then I'll move to something else. Likewise, I prefer to tap early against armbars and leglocks. I'll hold on to the bitter end against chokes though.

One time I rolled with this guy who wouldnt tap at all. Whenever youd sink in a hold hed just scream out in pain then Id stop and say 'are you alright?'. Then like an ass he would be like 'yeah Im good lets keep goin'. Id say 'did you tap?' and hed be like 'oh no its just my joint loosening up'.

I hate the jerkoff's with something to prove that try to force submissions and end up injuring your arm in the process.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back