Taking fight on short notice = Accepting to lose

Zlatan1

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Respect to those who take fights on short notice, doing favours for Dana and the fans, but the last a fighter that took a fight on short notice and actually won was Chris Weidman when he fought Demian Maia on UFC on Fox 2. DaMarques Johnson got cut because of his losses in fights he took on short notice, Nam Phan recently stepped in for Cub Swanson and got the worst beating of his carreer. Personally, I would think twice if I would take a fight on short notice. The losing percentage is above 90%.

Got to look at it the other way also look at Rick story taking Charlie on a days notice or whatever lol...

I've said a few times that Johnson cut was a bit harsh.. but it is what it is... If they take a fight on short notice and lose they could get their pink slip.

Now they know.

varner replaced dunham on short notice against barboza.

Some fighters prefer a nice paycheck over a victory, so it worth the risk for them.

I've said a few times that Johnson cut was a bit harsh.. but it is what it is... If they take a fight on short notice and lose they could get their pink slip.

Now they know.

Wasn't it more to do with others were willing to take the fight that could make weight or something?

varner replaced dunham on short notice against barboza.

That's an example of the other 10%.

It's more common that the fighter that steps in gets a chance to fight a higher-ranked opponent - on short notice, ofc. Mitrione did it against Nelson and he got knocked out. Nam Phan did it and he got his ass kicked. They all have the chance to catapult themselves into the rankings but that happens 1/10 times.

Respect to those who take fights on short notice, doing favours for Dana and the fans, but the last a fighter that took a fight on short notice and actually won was Chris Weidman when he fought Demian Maia on UFC on Fox 2. DaMarques Johnson got cut because of his losses in fights he took on short notice, Nam Phan recently stepped in for Cub Swanson and got the worst beating of his carreer. Personally, I would think twice if I would take a fight on short notice. The losing percentage is above 90%.

If you're going to accept a fight, you better be ready and in most of those cases, those guys would lose no matter what the notice

Taking a fight on short notice = true fighter :|

That's retarded.
A fighter's job is to win fights. You should never take a fight you know you're going to lose.

Now they know.

Johnson got cut because he failed to make weight and on top of that the guy simply wasn't UFC caliber and got finished almost all the time.

That's retarded.
A fighter's job is to win fights. You should never take a fight you know you're going to lose.

A fighter's job is to fight, no more no less. You'd be surprised to know how many fighters are only interested in a paycheck. It's even possible to make a career out of loses.

If you're going to accept a fight, you better be ready and in most of those cases, those guys would lose no matter what the notice

The problem is, when a fighter takes a fight on short notice, his chances to lose immediately increase - and with that the risk of being cut (see DaMaruqes Johnson). If a fighter refuses to take a fight on short notice, he isn't a "true" fighter anymore and Dana gets pissed (see Dana's reaction on Machida and Shogun refusing to fight Jon Jones on short notice).

remember when they cut gerald harris for no reason

A fighter's job is to fight, no more no less. You'd be surprised to know how many fighters are only interested in a paycheck. It's even possible to make a career out of loses.

Sapp comes to mind.

Anderson Silva accepted the loss when taking on Bonnar. He did win the fight though. So it's not so black and white, is it...

Their job is to fight, but if they wanna keep their job they better win

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Judoka_Noob
Back