Taking fight on short notice = Accepting to lose

what the heck are you talking about? are you sure you even watch fights?

this was a horrible performance? possibly one of the greatest slams in UFC history

2iszdia.gif

he finished mario miranda a 11-0 prospect, who went on to beat david loiseau, and close decisions with demian maia and aaron simpson?
are you sure you watch fights?

the harris and salter fights were fucking terrible up to the finishes. I misspoke earlier, the miranda fight was the only good one. Also, miranda did not lose close decisions to Maia and Simpson. Both were as one sided as they get.

Let me guess, you think Mir/Crocop was FOTY too?

Having a spectacular finish in an otherwise horrible fight does not make you a commodity.

Not at all, look at what taking a fight on short notice did for Tito and Chris Leben

Respect to those who take fights on short notice, doing favours for Dana and the fans, but the last a fighter that took a fight on short notice and actually won was Chris Weidman when he fought Demian Maia on UFC on Fox 2. DaMarques Johnson got cut because of his losses in fights he took on short notice, Nam Phan recently stepped in for Cub Swanson and got the worst beating of his carreer. Personally, I would think twice if I would take a fight on short notice. The losing percentage is above 90%.

But everyone thinks that those fighters who take short notice fights are warriors even if they arent in the UFC or employed.

But a guy like Jones can turn down a fight, he is the LHW champ, he can get away with something like that but small time fighters may not be so lucky.

The problem is with King Dana, if you make him angry he cuts you. The other big problem is if you lose too many fights in the UFC you get cut so putting on fights for the fans and taking reckless short notice fights can do some real damage to your career if you arent one of Dana's favorites.

Thanks for the statistics tho and lets be honest Dana dont give two shits about the fighters, he cares about the money they bring in.

Last edited:

the harris and salter fights were fucking terrible up to the finishes. I misspoke earlier, the miranda fight was the only good one. Also, miranda did not lose close decisions to Maia and Simpson. Both were as one sided as they get.

Having a spectacular finish in an otherwise horrible fight does not make you a commodity.

first of all i make no assertion about Mir/Crocop

you're the one exclaiming he had three terrible fights which is a matter of subjective opinion, the fact is he was cut after one loss

you're just in the habit of making terrible claims

Charlie Brenneman demolished the Rick Story hype train on 1-2 days notice.

Charlie Brenneman demolished the Rick Story hype train on 1-2 days notice.

Brenneman had nothing to lose. When you have nothing to lose its not a tough decision.

Some fighters have more to lose.

W's undoubtedly count for a lot but style (and translate that to popularity) is undoubtedly more important. If not then then these things would be different:

No 205 title shot for Chael
Fitch would have fought GSP at least twice
Machida would have had a title shot 2 - 3 fights before he did
Diaz wouldn't be returning to a tiltle shot

And so on...

HA!

So you're saying fighters can afford to say I can lose no problem because I have style? I don't think so.

You can only depend on the "W".

Depends on the fighter. Some guys like the Diaz bros, Condit, Cole Miller, etc stay in shape year round and can be ready on short notice. Some guys get way out of shape in between fights i.e. 40% body fat bj penn.

I wouldn't do a short notice unless ufc promised not to cut
me win or lose for my next 2 fights

thats like old pride style matchmaking, made for exciting fights sometimes

Yes, it is a higher mountain to climb.
However, the reward is also greater (in case of a win).

The risk & reward is always a hard decision. but when you fight for a living, I guess they just cherrish the challenge.

note: also note that most fighters keep in shape nowadays, even without having signed for a fight. So the only thing missing would be working on specific points for the fight.

but 80% of the work should be done/in process before getting the call.

I saw the fight, it was not the greatest fight in the world, definitely not "fucking terrible" as you're describing it.

The play by play on Sherdog also confirms that is was a normal fight with a spectacular finish.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/UFC-116-Results-Live-PlaybyPlay-25286

Back