Takanori Gomi - Rate these PRIDE hands out of 10??? Do you hespect Gomi?

How good was The Fireball Kid Takanori Gomi???

• Total voters
Lightweight in Pride was 161 lbs.

That fight was at 155lbs though wasnt it being in the US?

It does feel strange in retrospect that Gomi got crapped on so much for a loss to a guy who prooved to be an elite fighter in the division above him, I mean Gomi has fought as low as 145lbs and Nick as high as 185lbs.

So you are not qualified to criticize this either right?

What about CM Punk? Can't criticize his technique either? Tell us exactly when we are allowed please.

Some things are obvious.
Like (R)Honda and CM.

Just because it took place in the United States doesn't mean it had to be contested at 155 lbs; fights can be contested at any specific weight and the organization can call the weight class anything they want, the only real restriction in the U.S. are fights with too great of weight differences.

They both weighed in at 161 lbs.

Some things are obvious.
Like (R)Honda and CM.

Obviously that depends on one's own training/ education though. To a total newbie, Ronda may not be, but to a 30 year fan or someone with some training, maybe Gomi is?

He sure as hell telegraphs/winds up more than most trainers would advise, but personally I don't know enough to say his technique sucks.

Last edited:
Just because it took place in the United States doesn't mean it had to be contested at 155 lbs; fights can be contested at any specific weight and the organization can call the weight class anything they want, the only real restriction in the U.S. are fights with too great of weight differences.

They both weighed in at 161 lbs.

Always assumed it was at 155lbs never having seen the weigh in but honestly that kind of prooves my point even more doesnt it? Nick was ok at 161lbs but drained badly at 155lbs losing to the first higher level guy he fought.

Gomi by todays standards would be a small 155er and most likely a 145ler, Nick would be at 170lbs and again was a pretty sucessful WW for many years.

This fight was clearly a very big size mismatch yet Gomi did come close to finishing an elite guy at least one division above him, doesnt seem like something he should be strongly criticized for.

Always assumed it was at 155lbs never having seen the weigh in but honestly that kind of prooves my point even more doesnt it? Nick was ok at 161lbs but drained badly at 155lbs losing to the first higher level guy he fought.

Gomi by todays standards would be a small 155er and most likely a 145ler, Nick would be at 170lbs and again was a pretty sucessful WW for many years.

This fight was clearly a very big size mismatch yet Gomi did come close to finishing an elite guy at least one division above him, doesnt seem like something he should be strongly criticized for.
I always wondered why Gomi never went down to 145 I’d imagine he’s one of the guys that would’ve really benefited from a 165 division.

Obvious depends on one's own training/ education though. To a total newbie, Ronda may not be, but to a 30 year fan or someone with some training, maybe Gomi is?

He sure as hell telegraphs/winds up more than most trainers would advise, but personally I don't know enough to say his technique sucks.
On that, we can agree.

Gomi offensively was pretty sharp. I think people are tainted by his moments of swanging bombs. He could pump out a solid jab and work the body.
Defensively he pretty much just took it all on the chin.

Gomi was truly a great fighter, he was blessed with all the physical gifts, Iron chin, KO power, and unbelievably fast hands, and had a very surprising well rounded game. He also had most of the intangibles as well, was truly a great finisher, extremely violent, would instinctually fire back when hurt or stung. Unfortunately for Gomi, also ironic that just like his nemesis BJ Penn, once his physical gifts were no longer enough to keep him on top, his lackadaisical attitude and lack of prolonged work ethic where what would be his downward spiral. Additionally like me the Hawaiian he relied on booze to fill the gap between being a top fighter and just another guy which hastened his decline, it was really sad to see him fall off so fast... 04-07 Gomi was unequivocally one of the most exciting and skilled fighters the sport of MMA had ever seen

8 for hand
7 for hespect

He never tried to evolve and had cherry picked matchups most of his career

It does feel strange in retrospect that Gomi got crapped on so much for a loss to a guy who prooved to be an elite fighter in the division above him, I mean Gomi has fought as low as 145lbs and Nick as high as 185lbs.

PRIDE had a 161 lb division because they wanted Mach Sakurai to be their champ, he was a huge deal before the car accident at 170 and was either too lazy (assumption) or couldn't make 155 so they made 160 for him. Gomi happened and everything ended up squaresies anyways,

it's extremely inefficient and his footwork is awful, it's why he had a questionable gas tank
It was effective, his foot work is different because he uses shifting footwork. Most don't understand what shifting footwork and they don't teach it. So most won't understand the footwork or the moves/techniques that come with it. He was KO everyone in his prime. So his style was working better than everyone elses style vs him. He focused on KOs so he was focused on power shots. He's not a point fighter style so he's not going to fight in that style. Plus he was a pressure fighter so he's always moving forward. It's not going to be the technical stand in place and take turns doing combos at each other type of fight.

What the??? what happened to this place this is oppression
DA94-FBE1-8-EB9-47-A1-84-CA-78-C263-B00-E60.jpg

PositiveAgitatedJanenschia-max-1mb.gif

It was effective, his foot work is different because he uses shifting footwork. Most don't understand what shifting footwork and they don't teach it. So most won't understand the footwork or the moves/techniques that come with it. He was KO everyone in his prime. So his style was working better than everyone elses style vs him. He focused on KOs so he was focused on power shots. He's not a point fighter style so he's not going to fight in that style. Plus he was a pressure fighter so he's always moving forward. It's not going to be the technical stand in place and take turns doing combos at each other type of fight.

Uh... he'd jump into his punches and he'd overextend on almost all of them. He wouldn't properly retract and waste a fuck ton of energy in the process.

You can be technical while moving forward, we have GGG in the modern era to show you how to be active while moving forward, and being technical.

Back