Takanori Gomi - Rate these PRIDE hands out of 10??? Do you hespect Gomi?

How good was The Fireball Kid Takanori Gomi???

• Total voters
Uh... he'd jump into his punches and he'd overextend on almost all of them. He wouldn't properly retract and waste a fuck ton of energy in the process.

You can be technical while moving forward, we have GGG in the modern era to show you how to be active while moving forward, and being technical.
You can jump into punches and you can over extend, he's shifting. There's different styles and I understand Gomi's style well. Yes it's not a traditional technical textbook style, nothing about his style is. But to the people that understand it's technique, Gomi knows what he's doing. His punches uses different techniques so you can't base it from regular textbook style techniques. His style of punching most trainers/coaches don't understand and won't be able to teach. But the proof is in the fights, with all his KOs.

Gomi had a visually sloppy technique when everyone was trying to be stiff.
It worked, due to fast reflexes. There is still technique in there.

Going one step further... and hijacking this topic.

GOMI (vs Nick) DIAZ was the fight of the century.

Gomi was no slouch and when Nick didn't go out cold,
that mighty asian heart began to crumble. Incredible brawl.

Prior to that,
there was debate (between Gomi and Hughes) as to "the best in the world" at ww.

Nick took out Robbie and Gomi,
then GSP finished Bisping but couldn't finish Nick.

We often forget guys like Gomi prior to Nick.

27 wins, 8 losses by nonsense.
If Nick rematched anyone from his past,
they would crumble and they always did.
Who else in history laid down in front of Anderson mocking him.
Dethroned Gomi when it mattered.

Remember when people brought up Tibau vs Khabib?
just gonna leave this here ...

You can jump into punches and you can over extend, he's shifting. There's different styles and I understand Gomi's style well. Yes it's not a traditional technical textbook style, nothing about his style is. But to the people that understand it's technique, Gomi knows what he's doing. His punches uses different techniques so you can't base it from regular textbook style techniques. His style of punching most trainers/coaches don't understand and won't be able to teach. But the proof is in the fights, with all his KOs.
Shifting while moving forward can be done without jumping into your punches. Let's say you throw a 1-2 you can shift on the 2 to cock your hook if the opponent is moving backwards. That's not difficult and pretty rudimentary.

Edit: you can also not overextend on your punches while doing it. There is an optimal point of impact, and missing those punches beyond that is tiresome as fuck.

Gomi had a visually sloppy technique when everyone was trying to be stiff.
It worked, due to fast reflexes. There is still technique in there.

Going one step further... and hijacking this topic.

GOMI (vs Nick) DIAZ was the fight of the century.

Gomi was no slouch and when Nick didn't go out cold,
that mighty asian heart began to crumble. Incredible brawl.

Prior to that,
there was debate (between Gomi and Hughes) as to "the best in the world" at ww.

Nick took out Robbie and Gomi,
then GSP finished Bisping but couldn't finish Nick.

We often forget guys like Gomi prior to Nick.

27 wins, 8 losses by nonsense.
If Nick rematched anyone from his past,
they would crumble and they always did.
Who else in history laid down in front of Anderson mocking him.
Dethroned Gomi when it mattered.

Remember when people brought up Tibau vs Khabib?
just gonna leave this here ...

hell yeah dude
Diaz-rattle-Gomi.gif

I'd rank him a 9/10, for his era. Gomi was arguably the #2 LW overall for a stretch and he was a problem for anyone.

Getting dealt with by the pre-Khabib GOAT (who also tapped WW king Hughes a few months later) is hardly a stain on what was otherwise a very impressive run through Shooto and Pride
<---------------

Lots of casuals or newer fans only saw post-Pride Gomi and don't understand how highly esteemed he was in the MMA world.

He was good, but BJ was better.

in pride he was a solid 8/10 fighter. there were very few 10/10 fighters back then, if any. gomi is an all time great tho

With guys like Felder and Iaquinta consistently in the top 10 I disagree. Gomi's power was comical. Considering old Kawajiri could still break into the top 15 of FW in the UFC I don't see why Gomi couldn't.

That was a much weaker FW division than today's. Iaquinta and Felder are much better, more fundamentally sound strikers than Gomi ever was, just not as hard hitting.

He had great timing.

Watching him fight with his hands down in last UFC fights was frustrating.

Shifting while moving forward can be done without jumping into your punches. Let's say you throw a 1-2 you can shift on the 2 to cock your hook if the opponent is moving backwards. That's not difficult and pretty rudimentary.

Edit: you can also not overextend on your punches while doing it. There is an optimal point of impact, and missing those punches beyond that is tiresome as fuck.
It all depends on range. You are not hitting pads, you are trying to hit a guy that is either moving forward or moving backwards while also trying to hit you. That's why some fighters can't transfer their pad work into their fights, their range and everything is off and they just hit air. Sometimes you have to jump forward to hit someone, Tyson does it all the time with his hooks. I am willing to bet most trainers/coaches will tell you never to jump into a punch or have your feet off the ground for a punch. I know because I've heard it over and over again while watching Tyson and other high level boxers do it. That's just one example, there are many.

Last edited:
Uh... he'd jump into his punches and he'd overextend on almost all of them. He wouldn't properly retract and waste a fuck ton of energy in the process.

You can be technical while moving forward, we have GGG in the modern era to show you how to be active while moving forward, and being technical.
Yes I agree with GGG. But his style would be adjusted in mma if he was also worried about level changes and takedowns.

He's a top 5 LW GOAT for sure. Probably wouldn't beat most guys in today's UFC LW division, but 2005 - early 2008 Gomi was arguably the best LW at the time and had a historical run. Only second to possibly BJ Penn, who beat Gomi, but neither were in their primes yet.

Basically "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing". ;)

He doesn't train.... He was self training most of his time towards the end of Pride. After Pride, he did stints in America and flirted around with training there full time. Majority of the time in Japan, he would spend time at university wrestling club and a karate studio. He has his own gym but it's folded or something. There was that brief success with Tyson Griffin but they were sparring partners before in America.

With guys like Felder and Iaquinta consistently in the top 10 I disagree. Gomi's power was comical. Considering old Kawajiri could still break into the top 15 of FW in the UFC I don't see why Gomi couldn't.
Lmao you just reminded me of Kawa's UFC run. Not bad for an old man, should have been in the UFC years before that though.

Back