T.J. Dillashaw says no rematch for Renan Barao: "I messed him up"

I agree. TJ Dillashaw may not even hold the belt by the time Renan Barao earns another title shot.

Hes going to need to beat Raphel Assuncao (who he lost to) possibly Takeya Mizugaki before he faces the one year younger Barao.

I agree. I see Assuncao countering TJ for 5 rounds. I'm expecting a close but clear decision for the Brazilian. Again.

Barao does not deserve an immediate rematch based on that first fight, but I agree that champs should STFU and fight who they're told to fight.

You had Anderson & GSP picking and choosing some of their fights and now you've got Jones trying to be the matchmaker too.

As someone who truly thought Barao was going to wreck him, TJ is right. It wasn't close, Barao wasn't some god like champion who deserves an immediate rematch. It was one of the most one sided title fights of all time, next to Bones/Shogun.

His logic is strange - the faster you finish someone the more dominant it shows you are (depending on how the fight played out).

TJ looked amazing but it took him 4 rounds to put away Barao after he CRUSHED him in the 1st with that right hand, if anything that's a credit to Barao's toughness to survive the first and keep things somewhat competitive for rounds 2 and 3 before getting obliterated in 4 and 5.

Not sayin' he deserves an instant rematch but it's not like TJ slowly picked Barao apart, he severely wounded him early and Barao never recovered (which we should credit TJ for because he kept the pressure up and put a beating on him eventually).

Yeah I'm just pointing out the principle more than trying to criticize. I like TJ, and I'm sure he'll fight whoever they put in front of him.
Principles? Just becuase he doesn't a fight against someone he just destroyed, it has nothing to do with principles. Its not like he is going to deny the fight if they give it to him. He's just speaking his mind and he is correct about it.

Back