T.J. Dillashaw says no rematch for Renan Barao: "I messed him up"

pcbh

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
http://msn.foxsports.com/ufc/story/t-j-dillashaw-says-no-rematch-for-renan-barao-i-messed-him-up-053014

"If I would have caught him in that first round, dropped him and finished him I could understand them saying 'oh he got caught, give us a chance', but I messed him up," Dillashaw said. "I beat him up for five rounds. I proved to a lot of guys in my weight class that Renan Barao can be beat and I gave them the blueprint of how to do it.

"So he needs to show he can come back from that before he can even fight me again. He could be beat once again. He's got to come back and prove that first before he can fight me again."

Yes I agree, he handed Barao an asswhooping and he doesn't deserve a rematch straight away.

Great... No defenses and he's already being picky with fights. I was pretty happy when he won but seriously.

On a separate note I would disagree with an immediate rematch.

And basically everyone other than Barao's camp agrees.

Great... No defenses and he's already being picky with fights. I was pretty happy when he won but seriously.

So you think Barao deserves an instant rematch after that fight?

They should probably do something like Renan Barao vs. Francisco Rivera, maybe headline a Brazil card with that fight.

With all respect to TJ, and he's got a point, but champs should not decide who they fight.

I like it. Far too many re matches being handed out and delaying it is better because it builds for the next bout. Plus he destroyed Barao.

There will be a rematch. Just hopefully not an imediate one. TJ's right- it was a decisive victory. Let Barao wipe the floor with a top 5 guy on a win streak and the rematch will be more marketable anyways.

Realistically Renan should need at least two wins to get another shot at the belt as long as TJ's holding it. He got owned.

With all respect to TJ, and he's got a point, but champs should not decide who they fight.

So you think during an interview he should just keep saying "Let Dana decide?". Not only would that be boring, but the reality is often times what the champ (or anyone says for that matter) dictate's the next fight. How many times can you count a fight happening just because two guys started chirping at each other, or they said they would/ would not want to fight guy X?

And he didn't even say who he should fight, he said who he shouldn't (the guy he just dismantled).

Let him earn his rematch.
That's the right thing to do.

And basically everyone other than Barao's camp agrees.

So you think Barao deserves an instant rematch after that fight?

Maybe you should read his whole post, because the next fucking line he said "
On a separate note I would disagree with an immediate rematch."
and it wasn't edited

And even if it was, it doesn't matter...been on like 5 posts on here in 2 days and you like the 2nd poster on each one, you must be a real winner. Sherdog must be proud!

And who cares if they cut the 135 division entirely, the male one anyway...at least Ronda is interesting.

Meh. In a perfect world, maybe. But let's not pretend the title picture isn't already tainted by the ufc's marketing interests. Nothing wrong with a champ speaking his mind and most fans agree with him, it would seem.

I'm not a fan of the company-shill, automaton style of champion.

On a separate note I would disagree with an immediate rematch.

How is it being picky when you don't want to do an immediate rematch against a guy you trounced? I'd call that a basic expectation.

Agreed. I have never been a fan of immediate rematches.

Why would there be an immediate rematch? Barao's team is reaching. The fight wasn't close or controversial and Barao wasn't that dominate of a champion (held the belt for less than 2 years with 3 defenses which puts him in the same league as Ben Henderson). BW is shallow..one win and he's back in the hunt so I don't really understand the urgency.

Back