Syndrome Linked To Smoking Weed Spikes In States With Legalized Marijuana

dfoster

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertg...states-with-legalized-marijuana/#7b2234644968

On a recent shift in the ER, after multiple rounds of medicine to control his nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain, a patient explained to me that he had been smoking marijuana daily over the past 5-10 years. He also stated that he would often take hot showers and baths to help control his symptoms.

At this point--after describing how hot showers relieved his symptoms--it was clear to me that he was suffering from a poorly understood condition that some long-term heavy pot smokers experience, now known as cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome, or CHS.

LaPook interviewed Dr. Kennon Heard, who described his 2015 study from the the journal Academic Emergency Medicine, which noted that, after medical marijuana was legalized in 2009, the prevalence of cyclical vomiting visits associated with cannabis doubled in two Colorado hospitals. Colorado made recreational marijuana legal in 2012.

chronic marijuana use stimulates cannabinoid receptor type 1 (CB1) in the brain, which results in reduced contraction of smooth muscle in the wall of the intestines. Researchers believe that because CB1 is situated closer to the so-called thermoregulatory center in the hypothalamus, the continuous hypothalamic stimulation of CB1 might be relieved by showering with hot water. Another theory involves the concept known as “cutaneous steal syndrome” in which hot showers help ease symptoms by drawing blood flow away from the gut, since chronic cannabinoid use results in CB1-induced vasodilation.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/mysteri...na-use-on-the-rise-in-states-with-legal-weed/
NEW YORK -- For more than two years, Lance Crowder was having severe abdominal pain and vomiting, and no local doctor could figure out why. Finally, an emergency room physician in Indianapolis had an idea.

“The first question he asked was if I was taking hot showers to find relief. When he asked me that question, I basically fell into tears because I knew he had an answer,” Crowder said.

The answer was cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome, or CHS. It’s caused by heavy, long-term use of various forms of marijuana. For unclear reasons, the nausea and vomiting are relieved by hot showers or baths.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4469074/
Primary Outcome

In the pre- and postliberalization periods, there were 41 versus 87 visits for cyclic vomiting, respectively (Figure 1). Thus, the prevalence for cyclic vomiting visits increased from 41 per 113,262 ED visits to 87 per 125,095 ED visits after liberalization, corresponding to a prevalence ratio of 1.92 (95% CI = 1.33 to 2.79).

Interesting, wonder if this will happen in Cali now that weed is legal. Any long term users want to chime in?

Interesting, wonder if this will happen in Cali now that weed is legal. Any long term users want to chime in?
I dont use, but the article references side effects that pale in comparison to alcohol and cigarettes.

I hope research is geared toward emotional and psychological side effects as people generally will see mild physical side effects as a green light to use, or to be lax on punishing their children who use.

Alcoholism spikes in states where alcohol is legal.

I dont use, but the article references side effects that pale in comparison to alcohol and cigarettes.

I hope research is geared toward emotional and psychological side effects as people generally will see mild physical side effects as a green light to use, or to be lax on punishing their children who use.
There are emotional side effects in the people I know. They're very emotional and unable to restrain themselves.

Wow. Long term excessive pot use has a side effect almost as bad as long term aspirin use.

no self-admitted users even after it's been legalized? :)

CHS can lead to dehydration and kidney failure, but usually resolves within days of stopping drug use. That’s what happened with Crowder, who has been off all forms of marijuana for seven months.

“Now all kinds of ambition has come back. I desire so much more in life and, at 37 years old, it’s a little late to do it, but better now than never,”he said.
now we need this kind of research

I use, and of course it has side effects, but what the fuck doesn't? And is it worth the "risk" of these side effects to reduce the crimes against humanitiy that outlawing it did?

Last edited:
I like to mainline my marijaunas after snorting a couple rails of pots.

It's one of those things that some few people will get. I know a person who's son suffers from this. But I also know more people who are chronic users that experience nothing of the sort.

The closest I would say this is like an allergy. Those who get this shouldn't smoke weed, just as someone with a peanut allergy would avoid peanuts, or someone with celiac needs to avoid gluten.

I think getting arrested and a getting a criminal record for weed is more dangerous than any of the side effects

I think getting arrested and a getting a criminal record for weed is more dangerous than any of the side effects
Exactly. It ruins not just the user's, but all of the family's lives. It's really horrific when you look at what the war on drugs has done to us over the years.

Like any drug, abuse will have it's side effects.

The myth that "weed is completely harmless" needs to be addressed. It's not, but it's also not anymore dangerous than the drugs already widely available. That's for damn sure.

The closest I would say this is like an allergy. Those who get this shouldn't smoke weed, just as someone with a peanut allergy would avoid peanuts, or someone with celiac needs to avoid gluten.
Keep in mind the article said the kid abused the drug for 10 years. and he got a stomach ache.

I think the real downside of marijuana is it can be used as an emotional crutch, and because it has no real physical damage and can be abused for such a long time you can end up realizing you have been walking through reality at a much slower pace than you should.

I burn through about an ounce a month(3-4 bowls a day) when I partake. Sometimes I smoke daily for months, other times I dont smoke at all for months, just depends on how I feel. Ive never been hospitalized or gone to the Dr for anything related to marijuana use and Ive smoked like this for 8 years.

In all honesty, these "side effects" sound about as serious as a person who's lactose intolerant when they drink some milk. Your body is yours and only you should have a say what goes in it. If a person who's lactose intolerant wants to drink milk, nothing should stop them from doing so except themselves.

Pro-marijuana crowd: "It's healthy, natural, and has no negative side effects!"

*turns out it does have at least one negative side effect and, as many of us have said, it would be nice to make it legal so we can know what we're getting into after it becomes easier to research marijuana's effects*

Pro-marijuana crowd: "BUT IT'S NOT AS BAD AS ALCOHOL! OR CIGARETTES! THEY'RE WORSE! WORSE WORSE WORSE!"

I guess the pro-marijuana crowd really isn't interested in learning what this substance actually does so long as they can keep their "it's perfectly healthy and natural!" bragging rights... Otherwise, this rush into defense mode likely wouldn't happen. Frankly, I'd just like to use it knowing what it can do to me.

Like any drug, abuse will have it's side effects.

The myth that "weed is completely harmless" needs to be addressed. It's not, but it's also not anymore dangerous than the drugs already widely available. That's for damn sure.

Your avatar and posting quality match you so well. Spot on.

joff-03.gif

Back