Social Study: hispanic voters dont like being called LatinX

The "other" American label always seemed 9dc to me. No accent, born and raised, but a different type of American? Dumb.

Makes sense in a homogeneous society, but not in the new world.
Told this story before, but I was in the sixth grade when African American started gaining traction. Our teacher did an informal poll on what we thought of it. IIRC I was the only black kid that hated it. Nobody understood why until I explained.

I'm not African, I know nothing of Africa and will never go there. I don't want my American identity filtered through a culture that's utterly foreign to me. To me it was like adding some qualifier that I wasn't a real American. They weren't calling other groups German American or Italian American, at least not back then.

So it felt like an indirect way to say I'm not actually American because I'm black. Whereas others that passed for white weren't getting new hyphenated names.

Told this story before, but I was in the sixth grade when African American started gaining traction. Our teacher did an informal poll on what we thought of it. IIRC I was the only black kid that hated it. Nobody understood why until I explained.

I'm not African, I know nothing of Africa and will never go there. I don't want my American identity filtered through a culture that's utterly foreign to me. To me it was like adding some qualifier that I wasn't a real American. They weren't calling other groups German American or Italian American, at least not back then.

So it felt like an indirect way to say I'm not actually American because I'm black. Whereas others that passed for white weren't getting new hyphenated names.

I used to feel the same way about being called black.

I was listening to a lot of Dead Prez back then.

None of these names make any sense whatsoever. Race labels in general are garbage - including white and black. Weird how someone from Mexico is called a "Latino" - Latin came from the Romans so why aren't Italians Latino as well? Some people from Mexico don't even have any Spanish admixture while some are completely Spanish. There is no consistent criteria for race categories, some are based on language, some are based on a phenotypical trait, some are based on location.

"according to a new nationwide poll of Hispanic voters, only 2 percent of those polled refer to themselves as Latinx, while 68 percent call themselves “Hispanic” and 21 percent favored “Latino” or “Latina” to describe their ethnic background, according to the survey from Bendixen & Amandi International, a top Democratic firm specializing in Latino outreach.

More problematic for Democrats: 40 percent said Latinx bothers or offends them to some degree and 30 percent said they would be less likely to support a politician or organization that uses the term"

I mean they didnt need to make a survey to figure this out.

but some dumb white liberal wants to call them that

as far as I've seen in real life latino dudes are dudes and latinas are women...no half ass gender fuckery. the men are men and the women are women.

None of these names make any sense whatsoever. Race labels in general are garbage - including white and black. Weird how someone from Mexico is called a "Latino" - Latin came from the Romans so why aren't Italians Latino as well? Some people from Mexico don't even have any Spanish admixture while some are completely Spanish. There is no consistent criteria for race categories, some are based on language, some are based on a phenotypical trait, some are based on location.

look, we have to have a name for people that are part native american and part european. I mean, you can call them native american and you can't call them european....

as far as white or black nothing wrong with that... we do have race and we do have to be called something to reflect that.

"according to a new nationwide poll of Hispanic voters, only 2 percent of those polled refer to themselves as Latinx, while 68 percent call themselves “Hispanic” and 21 percent favored “Latino” or “Latina” to describe their ethnic background, according to the survey from Bendixen & Amandi International, a top Democratic firm specializing in Latino outreach.

More problematic for Democrats: 40 percent said Latinx bothers or offends them to some degree and 30 percent said they would be less likely to support a politician or organization that uses the term"

I mean they didnt need to make a survey to figure this out.

Good. Because I don’t like that word.

I saw “Filipinx” today for the first time.

Hispanic and Latinx need to fuck off. No one likes either.

Since his "independent" move, Andrew Yang is mostly attacking perceived Democrat talking points day in day out, what a shocker.

I don’t think he commissioned this poll himself.

You know what’s interesting.

That’s how it seemed to me from the outside looking in. I’m Latino and not Black though, so what do I know really.

But I always thought it was interesting when Black people preferred to be called African American and not just American. To me it was like, you been here for 16 generations, your American. And I never had to use the word outside of academic work because as a brown person I could refer to someone as black without people assuming I’m being racist, whereas when you hear a white guy say “Yeah that black guy over there” you have a good chance of being able to see the entire room cringe depending on where you are.

Just one of those idiosyncrasies of the US I suppose.

You know what’s interesting.

That’s how it seemed to me from the outside looking in. I’m Latino and not Black though, so what do I know really.

But I always thought it was interesting when Black people preferred to be called African American and not just American. To me it was like, you been here for 16 generations, your American. And I never had to use the word outside of academic work because as a brown person I could refer to someone as black without people assuming I’m being racist, whereas when you hear a white guy say “Yeah that black guy over there” you have a good chance of being able to see the entire room cringe depending on where you are.

Just one of those idiosyncrasies of the US I suppose.
I was 12 so couldn't articulate it as well as I can now, but it seemed like a way to manipulate language to add more division. Under the guise of being "respectful" I didn't know any black people that objected to the word black in the 90s and I still don't.

I also dont like being referred to as hispanic, you whites need to knock that off too
Hispanic and Latinx need to fuck off. No one likes either.

Whats the issue with Hispanic? I'm legitimately asking, not patronizing

I understand it to be a term refering to spanish speaking countries more or less because the Iberian peninsula was refered to as hispania in latin

Well said

I always thought the term was kind of unusual when it came out when I was a kid

She would withhold los tamales after smacking me with la chancla.
Lol I just the sandal for whatever reason. My grandma was tough. I came home from school when. Was on first grade. Tried to get a snack. She physically stopped me and chase me off with a big wooden spoon.
I don’t think she knew much Spanish. But man does the sandal and spoon carry on

Well said

I always thought the term was kind of unusual when it came out when I was a kid
It also makes it seem like as Mike said you’re beholden to that culture. Like I understand being called a German American if you are from there or your parents are. You’re culturally and linguistically connected to that place.
I think it’s make sense to call recent African Immigrants and their kids AA. Not blacks who’ve been in the USA long term. That’s just silly

It also makes it seem like as Mike said you’re beholden to that culture. Like I understand being called a German American if you are from there or your parents are. You’re culturally and linguistically connected to that place.
I think it’s make sense to call recent African Immigrants and their kids AA. Not blacks who’ve been in the USA long term. That’s just silly

Africa isn’t a country though. My family is from Italy…

Good news! You're now a "person of color".

Here it’s now BIPOC. “Person of Colour”, which was somehow the correct way to replace Black, which needed to be used in place of “Coloured Person”, which was racist, was not specific enough, as it included to many other non-black peoples, whereas BIPOC, or “Black and Indigenous Persons of Colour” is much more specific in referring to only two totally different groups of people.

None of it makes any sense.

Back