Social Study: hispanic voters dont like being called LatinX

I was 12 so couldn't articulate it as well as I can now, but it seemed like a way to manipulate language to add more division. Under the guise of being "respectful" I didn't know any black people that objected to the word black in the 90s and I still don't.

From what I’ve see in life it was pretty much exclusively white people who didn’t like other white people using the word black to describe black people.

And to add on to my post, since I can’t edit, it’s one of those things, I’m no one to think for someone else just always thought that was interesting. I imagine for some people they want acknowledgement of their ancestral roots, and idk, probably some stuff I’ve never thought of/not aware of since ofc I’m not in their shoes. But it’s kind of how I see everyone. After a few generations, you’re just American. Ofc you have traditions culture, etc ancestry, but still. Just how I see it.

"according to a new nationwide poll of Hispanic voters, only 2 percent of those polled refer to themselves as Latinx, while 68 percent call themselves “Hispanic” and 21 percent favored “Latino” or “Latina” to describe their ethnic background, according to the survey from Bendixen & Amandi International, a top Democratic firm specializing in Latino outreach.

More problematic for Democrats: 40 percent said Latinx bothers or offends them to some degree and 30 percent said they would be less likely to support a politician or organization that uses the term"

I mean they didnt need to make a survey to figure this out.

If youre latinx youre probably gay.

Africa isn’t a country though. My family is from Italy…
True. It isn't a country, though that is how it is perceived. I have a bit of trouble being bale to name all the countries in Africa, and I am a huge nerd on stuff like that. I am sure most people are done after like 4-5.
So someone saying they are Tanzanian will lead to blank stares.

The term Hispanic is a disgusting slap in the face itself. Latinx is pure spit.

As someone that's mixed race, I hate white liberals. The more they visually try to befriend me based on nothing but my skin color, the more I want them to die.
The old days were better. CIrca 2008 my friend's GF had a birthday party at Chevy's or something. She wore a Sombrero, and her friend tagged me as the sombrero. I still think it is hilarious.

From what I’ve see in life it was pretty much exclusively white people who didn’t like other white people using the word black to describe black people.

And to add on to my post, since I can’t edit, it’s one of those things, I’m no one to think for someone else just always thought that was interesting. I imagine for some people they want acknowledgement of their ancestral roots, and idk, probably some stuff I’ve never thought of/not aware of since ofc I’m not in their shoes. But it’s kind of how I see everyone. After a few generations, you’re just American. Ofc you have traditions culture, etc ancestry, but still. Just how I see it.
I agree with this. I don't care about being called black. I just want to be treated with respect and I'm good.

These terms make more sense to me for first and second generation Americans, that may want to convey some sort of tie to their roots. Like I could understand if they made up the term to describe recent African immigrants. Since there's not much cultural overlap between them and I.

From my insta
Screenshot-20210929-174127.jpg

Screenshot-20210929-174306.jpg

Screenshot-20210929-174253.jpg

Screenshot-20210929-174245.jpg

I never understood why progressives hate him so much. He's a pragmatic guy and he wants to bring Americans together and end political tribalism.
Er, progressives hate him because he wants to end political tribalism and bring Americans together.

As far as Latinx goes, it's an insultingly stupid term. If it makes latinos feel any better, progressive expect English people to use insultingly stupid terms like ze and zir.

Can confirm. It's more retarded than the majority here.

I was really disappointed when I realized it was not pronounced la teenks

Not even remotely shocking. I've never once met a single person that either likes or calls themselves Latinx. Most find it to be insulting and obnoxious. The only people I see pushing this shit is ignorant condescending White Libs. People who think they know more than the actual group of people this pertains to.

Er, progressives hate him because he wants to end political tribalism and bring Americans together.

As far as Latinx goes, it's an insultingly stupid term. If it makes latinos feel any better, progressive expect English people to use insultingly stupid terms like ze and zir.
It sounds stupid to us because the term was just created, but the term "Hispanic" and "Latino" could also have sounded stupid and insulting to people when it was officially created in the 70s, because it's a case of the US government and cultural elites lumping peoples of all ethnicities and nationalities in Central and South America - who speak Spanish or Portugese - into an artifical grouping. What does an Afro-Brazilian have in common with an Argentinian of German ancestry? Or a Lebanese Chilean have with a mostly Indegenous Mexican?

Told this story before, but I was in the sixth grade when African American started gaining traction. Our teacher did an informal poll on what we thought of it. IIRC I was the only black kid that hated it. Nobody understood why until I explained.

I'm not African, I know nothing of Africa and will never go there. I don't want my American identity filtered through a culture that's utterly foreign to me. To me it was like adding some qualifier that I wasn't a real American. They weren't calling other groups German American or Italian American, at least not back then.

So it felt like an indirect way to say I'm not actually American because I'm black. Whereas others that passed for white weren't getting new hyphenated names.
For years I'd get "what are you?" or "where are you from?". Still get it once in a while when the accent slips out, but it makes sense in such a case. If you don't sound like everyone else people will notice and get curious. I've asked the same of guys from Louisiana or Ireland (can't understand a fucking word coming out of these dudes mouths), but because they sounded different and obviously from somewhere else.

There's no such a thing as looking different in North America though as there's no standard look, so why differentiate?

It did seem like a somewhat "racist" dig at the language.

Among languages, Spanish is probably among the most "gendered", and the alphabet crew will have a hell of a time trying to make it fit their paradigm. Pushing "LatinX" seems to have been a feeble attempt at that.

They'd be better off (or arguably, worse off) in Finland where we have no gender pronouns, which has left the trans/gender-bender folk grasping for straws.

Back