Opinion Student Loan Debate: SCOTUS strikes down Biden sweeping debt forgiveness order

Which plan do you currently agree with most? (if not exact to your position, explain in a post)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Debt forgiveness is the wrong way to go. Colleges charged ridiculous amounts for a useless degree knowing that students would get loans to pay for it. What needs to happen is allows people with student loans to take the colleges to court for selling them something with very little ROE. These universities are basically doing what DeVry got busted for, so let the debt go back to the colleges. The fed also has to be selective on what student loans are being used for. Stop giving them out for degrees in non-binary trans-Egyptian Pygmy folkloric dance.

The modern day right wing mocks higher education. Hell, they’ve spent the last 40 years calling these people elites who indoctrinate your kids with Marxist ideology.

It’s no surprise this is the fallout from 4 decades of bashing higher education.

FFS, it doesn't have to be political. You'd have to be about as bright as a potted plant to not realize that universities realized a long time ago that they can fleece the American public. At some point it became a near religious belief that "every kid needs a college degree". And not tech school or learn a trade, but they MUST have a 4 year degree. The same way people said "A house can never be a bad investment, they always go up in value..." is how people talk about college degrees (or did...maybe a few people have woken up). Colleges continued to raise prices, and people continued to pay them. And lenders bought into it too, so financing was no problem...for essentially anyone. And for any degree.

So what do we have now? A nation full of college educated liberal arts majors waiting tables and making coffee with $100,000 in student loan debt that they don't know how to pay off.

FFS, it doesn't have to be political. You'd have to be about as bright as a potted plant to not realize that universities realized a long time ago that they can fleece the American public. At some point it became a near religious belief that "every kid needs a college degree". And not tech school or learn a trade, but they MUST have a 4 year degree. The same way people said "A house can never be a bad investment, they always go up in value..." is how people talk about college degrees (or did...maybe a few people have woken up). Colleges continued to raise prices, and people continued to pay them. And lenders bought into it too, so financing was no problem...for essentially anyone. And for any degree.

So what do we have now? A nation full of college educated liberal arts majors waiting tables and making coffee with $100,000 in student loan debt that they don't know how to pay off.

no it is political. One party constantly refers to the educated as “elites, big city elites, coastal elites” and they keep saying colleges are Marxist indoctrination camps. This has been going on for 40 years now.

The funny part is all rich right wingers send their children to be educated by those same “elites” at those Very same “indoctrination centers.”

How about we get government out of the student loan programs and hold the university's accountable for their outrages prices to get a degree.

my wife is going to CSUB and the price of college in the pandemic stayed the same because they were already on a projection to start raising tuition, and because they had to pay for the salaries for admissions AND created a new department for racial integration which is more salaries they have to pay for.

these schools have a glut of people working for them and won't fire anyone to lower the cost of their colleges

On one side we have people empathizing with the generation shackled with debt holding back the economy and ultimately the future of the country, on the other hand you have people who only care about themselves and make themselves feel better, bigger, smarter because other people are suffering.

Make all new student loans BKable, and it would solve the issue over night. Cost of college would plummet, and only those qualified would get loans. Everyone else would pay the lower cost of college in cash if they wanted to go. It would also increase the numbers in skilled trades.

no it is political. One party constantly refers to the educated as “elites, big city elites, coastal elites” and they keep saying colleges are Marxist indoctrination camps. This has been going on for 40 years now.

The funny part is all rich right wingers send their children to be educated by those same “elites” at those Very same “indoctrination centers.”

No it's not political, and you have to be an absolute moron to not realize it. You think only conservatives made universities raise their prices to crazy levels? You think they were the ones who pushed legislation to make sure lending was never an issue for anyone who wanted to go to college?

Maybe I'm talking beyond what you're capable of here, but I hope not. Exactly how do YOU think we got in a situation where we have trillions in student loan debt and a bunch of people that can't pay their loans off? Baristas with six figure college loan debt and degrees in underwater basket weaving? I know your get a little woody to blame literally every issue on the big bad Republicans and them alone, but for once actually THINK about what you're saying.

What about people underwater on their mortgage loan because liberals rioting have driven metro prices down to the bottom? Why student loan debt and not these upstanding people?

No it's not political, and you have to be an absolute moron to not realize it. You think only conservatives made universities raise their prices to crazy levels? You think they were the ones who pushed legislation to make sure lending was never an issue for anyone who wanted to go to college?

Maybe I'm talking beyond what you're capable of here, but I hope not. Exactly how do YOU think we got in a situation where we have trillions in student loan debt and a bunch of people that can't pay their loans off? Baristas with six figure college loan debt and degrees in underwater basket weaving? I know your get a little woody to blame literally every issue on the big bad Republicans and them alone, but for once actually THINK about what you're saying.

no it is political.

according to pew research:

At the beginning of the 2010s, 58 percent of Republicans believed that colleges and universities had a positive impact on the course of the country, according to the Pew Research Center. As the decade nears its close, that number has fallen precipitously: It now sits at 33 percent, with the majority of the drop occurring from 2015 to 2017.

According to Pew, there seems to be little disagreementbetween political parties on the notion that a diploma helps one succeed in the world or that the cost of attaining one is too high. The complaints particular to Republicans, though, are ideological in nature: They are far more likely than Democrats to believe that higher education is shaping America for the worse because too many professors impose their politics on students and because colleges go too far in shielding students from things that might offend them.

the government already pays back student loans.

if you join the military.

but everyone wants free shit. go earn it.

no it is political.

according to pew research:

At the beginning of the 2010s, 58 percent of Republicans believed that colleges and universities had a positive impact on the course of the country, according to the Pew Research Center. As the decade nears its close, that number has fallen precipitously: It now sits at 33 percent, with the majority of the drop occurring from 2015 to 2017.

According to Pew, there seems to be little disagreementbetween political parties on the notion that a diploma helps one succeed in the world or that the cost of attaining one is too high. The complaints particular to Republicans, though, are ideological in nature: They are far more likely than Democrats to believe that higher education is shaping America for the worse because too many professors impose their politics on students and because colleges go too far in shielding students from things that might offend them.

This thread is about STUDENT LOAN DEBT. If you want to talk about people's ideological views on college curriculum then start a thread on it.

Do you or do you not understand the reasons that we have the student loan debt problem that we do and that those are not political in nature? Simple question.

This thread is about STUDENT LOAN DEBT. If you want to talk about people's ideological views on college curriculum then start a thread on it.

Do you or do you not understand the reasons that we have the student loan debt problem that we do and that those are not political in nature? Simple question.

This is called back peddling 101. Go take a nap and sleep it off fella.

Also you quoted me and started this interaction together.

Fuck that. I'm debt free. But why should you get a handout, and not me? If you get $50K, I should get a $50K check too.

Democrats love handouts. Im just wanting to take mine

Suck it.

I was onboard, until Biden's plan said he was only cancelling loans for federal loans, and only for public universities. I went to a private school for undergrad, and refinanced half my loans through a private lender after grad school. His doesn't help me at all.

What makes more sense to me from an economic perspective is to just cancel all interest on federal student loans for existing and future borrowers. The government should not be lending to students for profit.

My wife went back to school several years ago.
She had a “federal” loan to cover part of her tuition. After she graduated, the feds sold the loan off to a private company.

It’s paid off now, but I wonder how this situation would be addressed.

Man are you dense. I wasn’t having a convo with you, in fact I was quoting another poster. You got so triggered you needed to start a convo with me because you couldn’t handle it. Next time dont quote me and start an interaction.

It also didn’t take long to crush your horse bunk post.

You are in a thread about student loan debt. If you don't want someone to call out your idiocy, don't post in the thread. Calling out your stupidity isn't being triggered LMAO, that's just a normal day on Sherdog.

"OMG you jumped into my conversation!" You're posting on a forum, window licker. If you want to keep your stupidity private, don't put it out there for everyone to see.

Again, the thread is about student loan debt. Which you have yet to even comment on. Because...you're an idiot and can't find a way to just blame Republicans so you just ignore the actual topic of the thread.

I wish it was a bit more fun making you look so stupid, but it's like kicking a cripple.

I support this, pay my mortgage down 50k if you are relieving debt.

What an absolute slap in the face to people that worked their asses off paying loans off.

I agree with you, but unfortunately, any social safety net could be viewed as a slap in the face to someone who worked their ass off to get out of a situation.

I'd be fine with cancelling interest on it. I'm not fine with completely erasing the loan. Many people made significant life choices based on either avoiding or paying off student loans. Forcing those people to eat the cost of outstanding loans seems pretty ridiculous to me.

Last edited:
"Every election is a sort of advance auction sale of stolen goods."

I think the debt should be subject bankruptcy. Wholesale forgiving debt is dumb. That would reward people who never paid for their loans and not reward those who saved and paid them off as a priority.

Back