Strongman Robert Oberst Says You Shouldn't Do Deadlifts

I’ve done 605 deficit off a regular weight plate but for the ones that felt funny I was on a big bumper plate using 405

You can still be strong and have mobility issues.

Martins brought it up while training with Hafthor in Iceland. He outright told Thor his log pressing technique lacked mobility, and that if he had Martins' shoulder mobility and technique...He would break the record. Thor has no choice but to muscle/power it up because his shoulder mechanics are very tight and he can barely bring his elbows out in front of his body.

Usually injuries happen because you're not mobile enough in that position. That was my point. Not saying you were weak.

You can still be strong and have mobility issues.

Martins brought it up while training with Hafthor in Iceland. He outright told Thor his log pressing technique lacked mobility, and that if he had Martins' shoulder mobility and technique...He would break the record. Thor has no choice but to muscle/power it up because his shoulder mechanics are very tight and he can barely bring his elbows out in front of his body.

Usually injuries happen because you're not mobile enough in that position. That was my point. Not saying you were weak.
Agree, I’ll stick to just doing them off a regular weight plate. The carryover diminishes the higher the deficit anyhow and it becomes like a really shitty standing leg press.

Who knows why you are getting this upset over a forum... you're really easy to get to.
lol you're the most gotten to poster on this forum in a long time. Constantly trying to defend every remark about your average numbers that you want validated as rare. And the worst part is you take passive-aggressive digs at actually strong lifters. All the roids in the world won't give you Oberst's "weak" deadlift even if you made it your full time job. You're a middling lifter who thinks he's a beast because he works out in a chain gym with middle aged dads.

Yes, your routine must have took a vast knowledge of training and research. Picking three lifts as a minimalist approach to combat the Big 3 having "too many holes". Sounds genius - just like everyone else told you in the thread.

Didn't you say you've been training 10+ years in another thread? You weigh 210 lbs, right? Maybe you should sit back and listen to some other people. I squatted 425 lbs after less than 2 years of training at a lighter weight. 475 lbs at less than 3 years of training at a lighter weight. Before you start your list of excuses stating that you were training other aspects besides strength, so was I. Those numbers aren't groundbreaking either - others have done and continued to do a lot better. The difference between me and you is that I actually listen to others. In your routine thread, you basically dismissed all critiques which were from people who move a lot more weight than you and have experience.

I know one of your excuses about training was that it doesn't pay your bills and it is not your area of expertise. Here is another piece of advice - you suck in the career world if you are regularly working 70 hours a week. Maybe you should improve that as well.

Odd reply, I didn’t make a single excuse about anything.

You’re getting desperate with these attacks now. Right now, I'm around 87g at 5’11 with single digit body fat. Around 20lbs lighter than you. I competed in one powerlifting comp ages ago as a last minute favour to the organisers. I don’t even deadlift, which is 1/3 of powerlifting, so I’m far away from being a powerlifter. My cardio is very good thanks.

List of excuses for being Bodil being weak compared to others
- Natty
- Goes to work
- Not a powerlifter
- If someone is stronger , they must train like a powerlifter
- If someone is stronger, he must be fat
- If someone is stronger, his cardio must be poor
- If someone is stronger, he must use shit form to lift the weight

CourageousQuickItaliangreyhound-max-1mb.gif

Well after moving 2 tons of wood from the street to my grandma's basement by myself I d say good that I have DL-ed picking up and carrying the bags was the easiest part. Loading the bags with wood and then unloading and then putting them in order in the basement was fucking disgusting. All that picking up killed my lower back and hands.

lol you're the most gotten to poster on this forum in a long time. Constantly trying to defend every remark about your average numbers that you want validated as rare. And the worst part is you take passive-aggressive digs at actually strong lifters. All the roids in the world won't give you Oberst's "weak" deadlift even if you made it your full time job. You're a middling lifter who thinks he's a beast because he works out in a chain gym with middle aged dads.

Again, you took all the time to write that, clearly youre mad.

Bugenhagen meanwhile is built for deadlifting, hence why he loves it.
maxresdefault.jpg

What are your thoughts on Jefferson deadlifts vs. sumo or hex bar DL? My conventional pull has always sucked and I suspect my body dimensions are crap for it (although my arms are long enough to not smash my balls in a wide stance Jefferson as Bugenhagen is doing above).

My lower back is always cracking and hurting from BJJ as it is. I'm considering switching over to sumo or Jefferson DL as a substitute for conventional.

Last edited:
What are your thoughts on Jefferson deadlifts vs. sumo or hex bar DL? My conventional pull has always sucked and I suspect my body dimensions are crap for it (although my arms are long enough to not smash my balls in a wide stance Jefferson as Bugenhagen is doing above).

My lower back is always cracking and hurting from BJJ as it is. I'm considering switching over to sumo or Jefferson DL as a substitute for conventional.
Nothing wrong with sumo or trap bar, do whatever deadlift feels most comfortable to you. I don't understand the utility and purpose of Jefferson deadlifts though. Bugenhagen does odd lifts as a feat of strength rather than as a training tool.

Sumo would be the way to go. Jefferson lacks both hip hinge and hard lockout. It’s essentially squat.

Well after moving 2 tons of wood from the street to my grandma's basement by myself I d say good that I have DL-ed picking up and carrying the bags was the easiest part. Loading the bags with wood and then unloading and then putting them in order in the basement was fucking disgusting. All that picking up killed my lower back and hands.
Did you try rubbing vagisil on them

Nothing wrong with sumo or trap bar, do whatever deadlift feels most comfortable to you. I don't understand the utility and purpose of Jefferson deadlifts though. Bugenhagen does odd lifts as a feat of strength rather than as a training tool.

They do look crazy though. Here's a vid of Bugenhagen's 800 lbs Jefferson DL:

marked

I'm not remotely competitive or informed in powerlifting, but am I wrong in thinking that's fucking insane, juiced or otherwise? Assuming his conventional or sumo is even higher, wouldn't that make him world class for a guy billed as 6'1" 233 lbs?

Last edited:
They do look crazy though. Here's a vid of Bugenhagen's 800 lbs Jefferson DL:

marked

I'm not remotely competitive or informed in powerlifting, but am I wrong in thinking that's fucking insane, juiced or otherwise? Assuming his conventional or sumo is even higher, wouldn't that make him world class for a guy billed as 6'1" 233 lbs?

Yeah, that dude is freakishly strong no doubt. I don't know how he avoids injuries with that intensity- reminds me of young Pete Rubish in his basement days until he matured and wised up.

Sumo would be the way to go. Jefferson lacks both hip hinge and hard lockout. It’s essentially squat.

Just tried very light Jefferson DL's at the end of my workout. Could just be me, but seems unnatural to keep the bar aligned with the front of your body. More natural movement for me is to straddle the bar evenly, like doing a reverse grip sumo DL, straddling a landmine. Guess I'll just stick to sumo and conventional with lighter weight for now.

But there is something primal about lifting heavy shit off the ground. After a heavy DL set, I'm filled with confidence and well being that I'd compare to a runner's high, but possibly even better.

Yeah, that dude is freakishly strong no doubt. I don't know how he avoids injuries with that intensity- reminds me of young Pete Rubish in his basement days until he matured and wised up.

Yeah the angle makes it hard to confirm, but he appears to have serious rounding in his back in some of his DL's in the vid. Plus he allegedly goes for a new max almost every day. Not sure HTF that's even possible but I'd suppose PEDs help.

Just tried very light Jefferson DL's at the end of my workout. Could just be me, but seems unnatural to keep the bar aligned with the front of your body. More natural movement for me is to straddle the bar evenly, like doing a reverse grip sumo DL, straddling a landmine. Guess I'll just stick to sumo and conventional with lighter weight for now.

But there is something primal about lifting heavy shit off the ground. After a heavy DL set, I'm filled with confidence and well being that I'd compare to a runner's high, but possibly even better.
The Steinborn Squat terrifies me.

Just looks like a severe muscle tear waiting to happen.

Geez that looks like some 1800's circus strongman shit

You should follow Martins on youtube, his channel is hilarious. He is very strong and very technical. You should see him teaching Larry Wheels how to tire flip and do strongman exercises to get him ready for his first strongman qualifier. He is not only a great student, but teaches pretty damn well too.

Back