Strongman Robert Oberst Says You Shouldn't Do Deadlifts

You should follow Martins on youtube, his channel is hilarious. He is very strong and very technical. You should see him teaching Larry Wheels how to tire flip and do strongman exercises to get him ready for his first strongman qualifier. He is not only a great student, but teaches pretty damn well too.

Just looked him up and didn't realize he just dethroned Bjornsson as WSM. It's amazing to me that guys his size and smaller can give up 100 lbs and still beat out giants like 6' 9" 400+ lbs Bjornsson and Brian Shaw in pure strength.

Just looked him up and didn't realize he just dethroned Bjornsson as WSM. It's amazing to me that guys his size and smaller can give up 100 lbs and still beat out giants like 6' 9" 400+ lbs Bjornsson and Brian Shaw in pure strength.
Recently saw a video of either Shaw or Eddie Hall complaining that the WSM doesn’t even determine the strongest man because there aren’t enough static strength exercises and too many events that favor conditioning over strength.

Recently saw a video of either Shaw or Eddie Hall complaining that the WSM doesn’t even determine the strongest man because there aren’t enough static strength exercises and too many events that favor conditioning over strength.

I believe it. I think Pudzianowski said that was his rationale for being jacked and a little bit smaller. I guess anyone over 300 lbs, no matter how strong, is so damn big he's going to gas out just jogging around the block, let alone farmer's walk with 600 lbs and all that other shit.

He actually trained with Thor before the event. He came in second behind Thor at the Arnold's and they got together to train.

Martins has self deprecating humor, he likes to shit on himself for a laugh. It kind of pissed Bjornsson off in one video.

He basically told Martins off saying that he just came in second at Arnolds and he should have more confidence in himself...and that he could easily win WSM if he was confident.

A month or two later...He wins.lol

Didn't help that Thor injured his foot in like the second event. Eddie Hall called it, he said WSM are so unorganized and dangerous for the athletes that one or more would be injured in the event.

Bam...Thor and I think Oberst got injured if I recall.

I believe it. I think Pudzianowski said that was his rationale for being jacked and a little bit smaller. I guess anyone over 300 lbs, no matter how strong, is so damn big he's going to gas out just jogging around the block, let alone farmer's walk with 600 lbs and all that other shit.

Bjornsson has a gas tank for his size, watching him and Martins training loaded carry showed that. Martins looked more out of breath than Bjornsson who outweighs him by 80-90lbs.

It's impressive to see a man his size move like he does.

Shaw is Huge, but he is lumbering in comparison.

Bjornsson has a gas tank for his size, watching him and Martins training loaded carry showed that. Martins looked more out of breath than Bjornsson who outweighs him by 80-90lbs.

It's impressive to see a man his size move like he does.

Shaw is Huge, but he is lumbering in comparison.

Yeah I've only seen highlights of Bjornsson but he's always struck me as very well-proportioned and fairly quick for such a huge guy. Like you could shrink him by a foot at the same proportions and he would look like a regular size burly dude. But I didn't realize he has shoulder mobility issues like you pointed out in your other post.

Do you think he's a ringer for next year if he doesn't get hurt? And what about this Mateusz Kieliszkowski (sp?) guy? He placed 2nd in his first WSM appearance right?

UPDATE ON THIS CONTORVERSY!

Oberst and Duffin are on IG live discussing this topic.

Yeah I've only seen highlights of Bjornsson but he's always struck me as very well-proportioned and fairly quick for such a huge guy. Like you could shrink him by a foot at the same proportions and he would look like a regular size burly dude. But I didn't realize he has shoulder mobility issues like you pointed out in your other post.

Do you think he's a ringer for next year if he doesn't get hurt? And what about this Mateusz Kieliszkowski (sp?) guy? He placed 2nd in his first WSM appearance right?

Bjornsson would have won this year's WSM to be honest, with the injury he still managed to podium at 3rd. You could see he had major issues with his foot. The log press event he was trying hard to reset his foot after bringing the log up to shoulder height before the press.

I think he can win both WSM and Arnolds if he keeps working like he does.

Martins' size is great for speed and endurance events though so he is always a threat. He has amazing grip strength as well from training with Odd Haugen. His technique and speed, and strength are all top notch. He really has no clear weakness to him.

Mateusz Kieliszkowski is pretty fucking great too. He seems to lose steam in endurance/speed events though. He had a weak deadlift but seems to have worked on it. He won first at Giants Live in London. The guy is wicked strong.

Novikov is the new guy that looks like he will be fire in the next 5 years.

I was really curious, thanks for the reply man.
LOL
Sorry I'm in clinic so not much time between patents. I would imagine someone has it or has posted it on youtube or something...

I think he has an argument, but there are counter arguments to it as well. Its not uncommon for people to pull and get out of position. The only time that I've really injured myself was deadlifting. I wasn't a complete newb at that point either - I was pulling 500+ by then. You see a lot of beginners who pull way to hard at first and can get rounded. With that said, I think it's very beneficial to learn to pull properly. As someone else mentioned, you use that in everyday life. In MMA, you see a lot of guys without wrestling backgrounds trying to get takedowns. They don't understand the concept at all of not being folded completely at the waist. You can notice that with people picking up boxes or whatever else too. It's a good skill to have.
Of course it is but 99 % of people who deadlift dont hip hinge at all when they pick boxes or anything. Irony at its best LOL

large.jpg

World-renowned S&C (scritchies and cuddling) expert Baron Thaddius M Woofleton probably agrees with Robert Oberst.

that was a crap podcast. So many of Rogan's guests seems like they could be interesting and then you realize they're another pothead flat earther.

Back