Strongman Robert Oberst Says You Shouldn't Do Deadlifts

Playing devil's advocate here, assuming everyone calling it weak is of the same mindset as I...

When I say his deadlift is weak, that is in direct comparison to his world class competition. I am 100% positive nobody on this board can even touch 700lbs on DL...That still doesn't take away from the reality of Rob's shortcomings on that lift, and why he might feel the way he does about it to make that statement he made.

Many of the top 10 are nearing the 1000lbs mark or are already there/passed it...Except Robert. So it's not hard to put 1 and 1 together on why he dislikes the lift. It also doesn't help that he is built really shitty for it...As one other poster mentioned above.

Saying his deadlift is behind his competitors is fine, but that's not what some people are saying. Bodil clearly said it's weak for someone who does it for a living and used steroids. He couldn't touch that weight even if he trained full time and used steroids. He's not even in my league, let alone in a position to criticise an elite athlete.

You might be putting 1+1 and getting 3. You're purely guessing that's why he said what he did. I'm naturally a very good deadlifter. I deadlifted 230kg back when I could only squat 155kg, and bench 110kg. It's a lift that comes easy to me, but i never deadlift as it beat's me up my lower back more than other lifts do (in terms of fatigue, not pain/injury). I can do more awork without it, and so I'm much stronger and built more muscle.
There's nothing special about the deadlift, you can get just as strong without it as you can with it, and it's not the best option when it comes to gaining mass either.

If I compete again, I'll start doing them again, but otherwise I'll stick with squats, RDL's, glute ham raises etc. I know if my squat and RDL go up, my deadlift will as well , especially once I practice the movement again.

Not that I'm saying everyone should stop doing it, but there are many ways to get strong.

Last edited:
Saying his deadlift is behind his competitors is fine, but that's not what some people are saying. Bodil clearly said it's weak for someone who does it for a living and used steroids. He couldn't touch that weight even if he trained full time and used steroids. He's not even in my league, let alone in a position to criticise an elite athlete.

You might be putting 1+1 and getting 3. You're purely guessing that's why he said what he did. I'm naturally a very good deadlifter. I deadlifted 230kg back when I could only squat 155kg, and bench 110kg. It's a lift that comes easy to me, but i never deadlift as it beat's me up my lower back more than other lifts do (in terms of fatigue, not pain/injury). I can do more awork without it, and so I'm much stronger and built more muscle.
There's nothing special about the deadlift, you can get just as strong without it as you can with it, and it's not the best option when it comes to gaining mass either.

If I compete again, I'll start doing them again, but otherwise I'll stick with squats, RDL's, glute ham raises etc. I know if my squat and RDL go up, my deadlift will as well , especially once I practice the movement again.

Not that I'm saying everyone should stop doing it, but there are many ways to get strong.

I have two discs split down the middle in my lower back...The dealift actually helps with the pain. RDL's tend to put more pressure than the deadlift itself.

With the deadlift, once my cues are in check and I rip it from the ground my lower back doesn't take as much of a beating as it would with RDLs.

I work my hip hinge with heavy kettlebell swings on off days.

If I stop deadlifting for an extended amount of time...say 3 to 4 weeks. My lower back gets pretty damn stiff and then I start having weakness in the legs because of the pinched nerves from those discs sliding in and out of position.

The deadlift is a life saver for me. Makes me strong, keeps my lower back feeling new.

The only way it's going to fuck up your back is if you ego lift more than you can and the form suffers.

I have two discs split down the middle in my lower back...The dealift actually helps with the pain. RDL's tend to put more pressure than the deadlift itself.

With the deadlift, once my cues are in check and I rip it from the ground my lower back doesn't take as much of a beating as it would with RDLs.

I work my hip hinge with heavy kettlebell swings on off days.

If I stop deadlifting for an extended amount of time...say 3 to 4 weeks. My lower back gets pretty damn stiff and then I start having weakness in the legs because of the pinched nerves from those discs sliding in and out of position.

The deadlift is a life saver for me. Makes me strong, keeps my lower back feeling new.

The only way it's going to fuck up your back is if you ego lift more than you can and the form suffers.

I'm not suggesting you shouldn't deadlift. I also never suggested deadlifts would fuck your back up.

Like I said, there are many ways to get strong.

EDIT
I limited RDL's as well for the same reason.
I have done more TBDL in the past, but not for 8 months.

Last edited:
I'm not suggesting you shouldn't deadlift. I also never suggested deadlifts would fuck your back up.

Like I said, there are many ways to get strong.

EDIT
I limited RDL's as well for the same reason.
I have done more TBDL in the past, but not for 8 months.

I need a trap bar in my life. Only used one a couple times at this other gym I went to before. I'm thinking of investing in one for home use.

There are some decent sub 200$ ones with 750 to 1000lbs capacity.

I love the trap bar, especially good for high reps. I might start doing them again.

I love the trap bar, especially good for high reps. I might start doing them again.

Not to mention their use for overheard pressing and farmer's walks. Fell in love with the damn bar. Too useful of a tool to not add it to your repertoire.

On the days where I feel shitty on the conventional DL, I could switch it up if I had it.

Indeed. The guy is just foaming in front of his computer because I didnt include squats. Most people here dont know how athletes train, they copy paste generic powerbuilding routines like 5/3/1 and think they know about athletism and fitness.

It is a weak lift, wether it triggers you or not.

Are you saying that we cant critique because he outlifts us? What if a hockey player scores 1 goal per season, I cant call him a shitty hockey player because hes better at it than me?

I judge people based on what they specialize in. Yeah, my Squat 1RM is probably around 425-450, and? I work 70 hours a week and am a life time natty, are you trying to compare me to some roidhead who does this for a living?

This thread sums up internet tough guys.

Yes, your routine must have took a vast knowledge of training and research. Picking three lifts as a minimalist approach to combat the Big 3 having "too many holes". Sounds genius - just like everyone else told you in the thread.

Didn't you say you've been training 10+ years in another thread? You weigh 210 lbs, right? Maybe you should sit back and listen to some other people. I squatted 425 lbs after less than 2 years of training at a lighter weight. 475 lbs at less than 3 years of training at a lighter weight. Before you start your list of excuses stating that you were training other aspects besides strength, so was I. Those numbers aren't groundbreaking either - others have done and continued to do a lot better. The difference between me and you is that I actually listen to others. In your routine thread, you basically dismissed all critiques which were from people who move a lot more weight than you and have experience.

I know one of your excuses about training was that it doesn't pay your bills and it is not your area of expertise. Here is another piece of advice - you suck in the career world if you are regularly working 70 hours a week. Maybe you should improve that as well.

Did some deficit deadlifts off a 4 inch box and now my lower back hurts. Was Oberst right all along?

Did some deficit deadlifts off a 4 inch box and now my lower back hurts. Was Oberst right all along?

If your flexibility/mobility sucks...I wouldn't suggest deficit deads.

I seem to recall a video where Martins(MARTIIIIIIIINS!!!!!!) Licis was doing deficits and he had not done so in a while. He could feel his lack of mobility and flexibility in the lift. He was far too tight and it hindered his technique.

I do them rarely because of my lower back, it's too taxing for me to go on a 4 inch deficit compared to normal bar height.

I would suggest more mobility before doing heavy defecits.

I do my deficit deadlifts from a 2" deficit and feel it gives plenty of deficit. Anything higher just really alters the lifts and technique.

Yes, your routine must have took a vast knowledge of training and research. Picking three lifts as a minimalist approach to combat the Big 3 having "too many holes". Sounds genius - just like everyone else told you in the thread.

Didn't you say you've been training 10+ years in another thread? You weigh 210 lbs, right? Maybe you should sit back and listen to some other people. I squatted 425 lbs after less than 2 years of training at a lighter weight. 475 lbs at less than 3 years of training at a lighter weight. Before you start your list of excuses stating that you were training other aspects besides strength, so was I. Those numbers aren't groundbreaking either - others have done and continued to do a lot better. The difference between me and you is that I actually listen to others. In your routine thread, you basically dismissed all critiques which were from people who move a lot more weight than you and have experience.

I know one of your excuses about training was that it doesn't pay your bills and it is not your area of expertise. Here is another piece of advice - you suck in the career world if you are regularly working 70 hours a week. Maybe you should improve that as well.

tenor.gif

If your flexibility/mobility sucks...I wouldn't suggest deficit deads.

I seem to recall a video where Martins(MARTIIIIIIIINS!!!!!!) Licis was doing deficits and he had not done so in a while. He could feel his lack of mobility and flexibility in the lift. He was far too tight and it hindered his technique.

I do them rarely because of my lower back, it's too taxing for me to go on a 4 inch deficit compared to normal bar height.

I would suggest more mobility before doing heavy defecits.
I’ve done 605 deficit off a regular weight plate but for the ones that felt funny I was on a big bumper plate using 405

Damn, someone is absolutely raging.

The training is doing fine... thanks for asking.

Regarding work, I likely earn more daily than you do bi-weekly, so I'll stick to what I'm doing. Thanks.

Calling someone much stronger than you weak is silly, especially when your you're not even advanced yourself.

So you haven't even squatted 425-450? Just probably could? The way you act on this forum I thought you must be really strong yourself. Turns out I was wrong. Achieve something first, then your opinion on lifting will matter.

Nice list of excuses for not being strong! lol I know loads of natty people who work those hours who still make progress. Stop making excuses.

Who's making excuses? You sound like you are, as well as being mad.

This is a strength and conditioning forum, not a power-lifting forum. Your fat ass can probably squat 500 with shit form, yet you can't run a mile without getting close to a heart failure and would absolutely get killed in a ring or on a mat.

Regarding work, I likely earn more daily than you do bi-weekly, so I'll stick to what I'm doing. Thanks.

Yes, I'm sure that your assessment is as accurate as "people like you do poorly in the gym". Too bad you didn't realize the reality is that I've squatted more than you ever have with 3 years of training vs your ten years of training. Keep fighting the good fight.

Yes, I'm sure that your assessment is as accurate as "people like you do poorly in the gym". Too bad you didn't realize the reality is that I've squatted more than you ever have with 3 years of training vs your ten years of training. Keep fighting the good fight.

Who knows why you are getting this upset over a forum... you're really easy to get to.

All of this doesn't help your arguement, it just makes you sound like a dickhead.

Who's making excuses? You sound like you are, as well as being mad.

This is a strength and conditioning forum, not a power-lifting forum. Your fat ass can probably squat 500 with shit form, yet you can't run a mile without getting close to a heart failure and would absolutely get killed in a ring or on a mat.

Odd reply, I didn’t make a single excuse about anything.

You’re getting desperate with these attacks now. Right now, I'm around 87g at 5’11 with single digit body fat. Around 20lbs lighter than you. I competed in one powerlifting comp ages ago as a last minute favour to the organisers. I don’t even deadlift, which is 1/3 of powerlifting, so I’m far away from being a powerlifter. My cardio is very good thanks.

List of excuses for being Bodil being weak compared to others
- Natty
- Goes to work
- Not a powerlifter
- If someone is stronger , they must train like a powerlifter
- If someone is stronger, he must be fat
- If someone is stronger, his cardio must be poor
- If someone is stronger, he must use shit form to lift the weight

Last edited:

You’re either a software engineer or a gigolo

Odd reply, I didn’t make a single excuse about anything.

You’re getting desperate with these attacks now. Right now, I'm around 87g at 5’11 with single digit body fat. Around 20lbs lighter than you. I competed in one powerlifting comp ages ago as a last minute favour to the organisers. I don’t even deadlift, which is 1/3 of powerlifting, so I’m far away from being a powerlifter. My cardio is very good thanks.

List of excuses for being Bodil being weak compared to others
- Natty
- Goes to work
- Not a powerlifter
- If someone is stronger , they must train like a powerlifter
- If someone is stronger, he must be fat
- If someone is stronger, his cardio must be poor
- If someone is stronger, he must use shit form to lift the weight
Don’t forget he can just pay people to lift the weight for him

Back