Strict barbell curl

• Thread starter Deleted member 576123
  • Start date
Dorian didn’t have great genetics,
Wait... what?
99,99% of people could never look like Dorian Yates even with all the PEDs in the world and training in the best way possible.

And I like Yates and I'm glad he is way smaller and healthier now. Seems like a great dude.

He was doing a tweaked version of Mike Mentzers Heavy Duty, I think someone already mentioned it. People think it requires less work, it does but the working sets would be brutal, beyond failure. The movements focused on heavy weight using strict form being cognizant of keeping the resistance on the backside of the exercise, going until failure, then working past that by resisting the weight. You had to have a good workout partner, we would usually only train one or two body parts per week using Dorians “Blood and Guts”, when doing the large muscle groups like back or legs I’d be sore for days on end... sadly this training approach is why Dorian had to retire, he completely tore his bicep doing bent rows, then his tricep the next year IIRC.
Training to failure (and beyond) is super underrated. People looking for the perfect amount of reps and sets, and the % of RM, etc etc. LOL.

Wait... what?
99,99% of people could never look like Dorian Yates even with all the PEDs in the world and training in the best way possible.

And I like Yates and I'm glad he is way smaller and healthier now. Seems like a great dude.

Training to failure (and beyond) is super underrated. People looking for the perfect amount of reps and sets, and the % of RM, etc etc. LOL.
That came out wrong, Dorian has incredible genes, I’m an interview he said something to the fact that there were a half dozen IFBB Pro BB’s with superior genetics, but work ethic, staying disciplined, and the ability to dial in contest night was something he himself had total control over. Maybe I should’ve said he didn’t have the top genetics out of the active pro BB’s of his era.

I’ve listened to several of his interviews over the years and I agree that he’s a solid dude, really down to earth for a guy who’s achieved the highest level in his profession.

I actually wish I could still train super intense, I usually train by myself now, besides I’m an old fuck (48) I am just happy to be able to train again. I was out of it for about 10 years until I had my back cut on in 2015, it’s been a fun journey relearning my body, unfortunately I absolutely cannot train as I did, I have to be smart and can’t load up my lower back too much, bar squats and dead’s are out. But I’m able to be creative with my regimen and make it work, pump up the Slayer and grind out.

That came out wrong, Dorian has incredible genes, I’m an interview he said something to the fact that there were a half dozen IFBB Pro BB’s with superior genetics, but work ethic, staying disciplined, and the ability to dial in contest night was something he himself had total control over. Maybe I should’ve said he didn’t have the top genetics out of the active pro BB’s of his era.

I’ve listened to several of his interviews over the years and I agree that he’s a solid dude, really down to earth for a guy who’s achieved the highest level in his profession.

I actually wish I could still train super intense, I usually train by myself now, besides I’m an old fuck (48) I am just happy to be able to train again. I was out of it for about 10 years until I had my back cut on in 2015, it’s been a fun journey relearning my body, unfortunately I absolutely cannot train as I did, I have to be smart and can’t load up my lower back too much, bar squats and dead’s are out. But I’m able to be creative with my regimen and make it work, pump up the Slayer and grind out.
Oh yeah. I get it now.

The concept of training hard is different for everybody tho.
I'm 33 and I realized that my body is not made for lifting heavy things. It would fell apart if I try to go hard on singles.
I have to go the volume route and go to failure but in the 10-15 rep range. I could never be a powerlifter.

Keep training and loving it. At the end of the day that is the most important. And don't forget your cardio... the heart is the most important muscle of all.

Wait... what?

Doesn't 99.99 percent of people mean one in a thousand could look like Dorian? He doesn't have the worlds "best" genetics but they are pretty damn close lol.

He's been training for about 7-9 months in the picture on the left. Better than I look after decades.
asas.jpg

Doesn't 99.99 percent of people mean one in a thousand could look like Dorian?
Technically one in ten thousands but yeah.. it has to be higher than that.

What the hell he was doing before lifting weights? Please tell me he was loading heavy boxes in a dock or something.

This has turned in to a beautiful thread
Well dude.. I did my best... even uploaded a video of me doing strict curl.

BTW. Are you familiar with the YT channel Nick Strength & Power? Dude basically covers bodybuilding but he is really promoting the strict curl (he competed at that). He shares almost everyday some updates about the strict curl, who curled what, how much, etc.

Technically one in ten thousands but yeah.. it has to be higher than that.

What the hell he was doing before lifting weights? Please tell me he was loading heavy boxes in a dock or something.

I remember reading an article about Ed Coan. Apparently, at age 14(I think) he bought a cheap weight set from his buddie's dad's garage sell. 3 months later, he won his first PL'ing meet, and benched like ~250lbs at like ~150lbs.

Obviously take it with a grain of salt, but some folks are just built for this shit. A natty version of prime Dorian still probably beats 9/10 juiced-up bodybuilders.

A natty version of prime Dorian still probably beats 9/10 juiced-up bodybuilders.

Look better than 99.9% of regular gym bros? Sure.

Beat 90% of juiced up bodybuilders? If you mean local shows, maybe? Certainly not pros.

I meant bb'ers as a whole. Obviously anyone with an IFBB card would smoke him.
Well, if you’re talking bodybuilders as an entire population, yeah. Most of them look terrible. There’s absolutely no barrier to entry and anyone can sign up lol.

As a true lifetime natty, I don’t think you’d even make it to a national level stage.

Well, if you’re talking bodybuilders as an entire population, yeah. Most of them look terrible. There’s absolutely no barrier to entry and anyone can sign up lol.

As a true lifetime natty, I don’t think you’d even make it to a national level stage.
To my knowledge, Reg Park's prime was in an era before anabolics were prevalent in the bb'ing community. And he looked like this:

IMG_2584.PNG

I don't know a great deal about bb'ing, but I'd wager this physique could get you to middle-of-the-pack NPC level bodybuilding. So Dorian, like Reg, being in the top .001% of the human population, in terms of genetic affinity for adding muscle mass and strength to their bodies, could conceivably reach this level. Again, assuming Reg was natty(or something close to it), and that Reg had an NPC-worthy physique.

This is what Dorian looked like, juiced to the gills. I’m not claiming Reg was/wasn’t juicing. But I think it’s conceivable that a natty version of the guy below would look something similar to what Reg Park looked like in the 50’s.
18C9DD9E-9676-4867-8848-799EC13CCBC2.jpeg 0DCE497F-7B31-4542-B8F5-8EF91E3F1F2D.jpeg

This is what Dorian looked like, juiced to the gills. I’m not claiming Reg was/wasn’t juicing. But I think it’s conceivable that a natty version of the guy below would look something similar to what Reg Park looked like in the 50’s.

Yates was also the first guy to look like that. Lee Haney was arguably the first “mass monster,” but Yates really took it to that next level, probably due to being one of the first guys to start abusing insulin/growth hormone.

You can find pictures of Yates online from various stages of his bodybuilding career.

Well dude.. I did my best... even uploaded a video of me doing strict curl.

BTW. Are you familiar with the YT channel Nick Strength & Power? Dude basically covers bodybuilding but he is really promoting the strict curl (he competed at that). He shares almost everyday some updates about the strict curl, who curled what, how much, etc.
It was seeing his channel that made me wonder and get on to it again.

I'll be back curling tomorrow so I'd better eat some food tonight or else pass out when I curl.

See if I can get a decent triple on 60kg, with some cheat if necessary.
Wonder if there's a natty curl competition.

Depends, are people lifting purely for strength or are they bodybuilding?

People are lame about that shit. It’s weird how it’s somehow taboo for some people to do direct bicep work. Like ignoring directly training a muscle is cool lol.

Curls have a ton of use. Bigger biceps help your bench and overall elbow stability. Hammer curls are great for keeping elbows feeling good and easing pain from tendinitis.

Last edited:
Back