Strict barbell curl

• Thread starter Deleted member 576123
  • Start date
Sure, but which is more admirable?

Since everyone who can row 315 can curl 50, but not everyone who can curl 50 can row 315, rowing 315 is more admirable

*edit - other than a freak injury that only hinders one of the two exercises the above is true.

Similar to anyone who can bench 300 can bench 200, but not everyone who can bench 200 can bench 300.

I'm leary of a max effort curl. Know too many guys that have blown a bicep various ways, including curling, and I'm paranoid. May not get a lot of takers here.
I'm honestly surprised that bodybuilders have picked up on this trend. I expect the first big-name bicep tear from filming a curl tik tok within the next 6 weeks.

LOL.. I will film myself later... Today is back day so I throw a little bit of biceps.

Prepare to be dissapointed.

Well guys. I got 11 pretty strict reps first set. 9 on second, starting to cheat. 3rd set dead.
This was after squats and military press.

But these are 15kg plates.
Otherwise I have 25kg plates.

I tried recording midnight on Monday but didn't capture a thing. 60kg feels comfy and was very strict.

Might keep some momentum and see how this unfolds.

If you want to increase your max at any kind of curl do entire sets of slow negatives to absolute failure.

If you want to increase your max at any kind of curl do entire sets of slow negatives to absolute failure.
I partially agree with this. Negatives to failure are a big deal for biceps but doing entire sets - do you mean multiple sets? That I don't agree with. Diminishing returns for me. I get one absolute failure set, then a second set can border counter productive. Though I was hitting 70kg a while back. It gets a bit dangerous to be hitting absolute failure negatives with heavy weights for biceps alone.

I partially agree with this. Negatives to failure are a big deal for biceps but doing entire sets - do you mean multiple sets? That I don't agree with. Diminishing returns for me. I get one absolute failure set, then a second set can border counter productive. Though I was hitting 70kg a while back. It gets a bit dangerous to be hitting absolute failure negatives with heavy weights for biceps alone.
Yeah typo on my end, I mean one set of reps to failure including assisted reps with slow negative to total failure.

When you do those, only one set is needed of them lol.

Yeah typo on my end, I mean one set of reps to failure including assisted reps with slow negative to total failure.

When you do those, only one set is needed of them lol.
I'm a big proponent of single failure sets, for both muscle building and strength gains.
Gets laughed off by some people but I've been training for some time and that gives me the biggest response even at 39 years old. Wish I'd started strength training dedicated instead of messing about with combat sports lol.

I'm a big proponent of single failure sets, for both muscle building and strength gains.
Gets laughed off by some people but I've been training for some time and that gives me the biggest response even at 39 years old. Wish I'd started strength training dedicated instead of messing about with combat sports lol.
Show them a picture of prime Dorian Yates. Guy worked out 3-4 times a week 45 min a day and the dude was beyond jacked. People don't believe he worked out for such a small amount of time because they've never done reps to beyond failure including slow negative. It's literally the number one reason he won Mr Olympia 6 straight years.

Show them a picture of prime Dorian Yates. Guy worked out 3-4 times a week 45 min a day and the dude was beyond jacked. People don't believe he worked out for such a small amount of time because they've never done reps to beyond failure including slow negative. It's literally the number one reason he won Mr Olympia 6 straight years.
Yeah. Mentzer was one of the OGs for it and to me, his physique was beautiful.

I like Dorian, and I’m sure you could make a case for the efficacy of his style of training. That said, his genetics and the anabolic she was on are the primary reasons he won 5 Mr. O’s.

Training to failure and beyond is the only way I can put muscle.

Love me some dropsets.

Well guys. I got 11 pretty strict reps first set. 9 on second, starting to cheat. 3rd set dead.
This was after squats and military press.

But these are 15kg plates.
Otherwise I have 25kg plates.

I tried recording midnight on Monday but didn't capture a thing. 60kg feels comfy and was very strict.

Might keep some momentum and see how this unfolds.

Good work man.

BTW.. you sound like a bus door closing lol. I expected worse grunts.

Sorry bro. Better later than never.

There you go my 80lbs strict curl with coronavirus and no proper warm up:

Had to put Pantera to feel more badass while lifting my babyweight.

I think I can get 100lbs.

BTW.. I'm 135lbs after a big meal.

Good work dude!

Sorry bro. Better later than never.

There you go my 80lbs strict curl with coronavirus and no proper warm up:

Had to put Pantera to feel more badass while lifting my babyweight.

I think I can get 100lbs.

BTW.. I'm 135lbs after a big meal.

Coronavirus BTFO

I was a big fan of Dorian Yates, not so much his gargantuan physique (although IMO his back is second to none) the fact was that Dorian didn’t have great genetics, but he willed himself to completely change the architecture of modern bodybuilding and took his body past his genetic limitations. There were other bodybuilders of the era (1990’s) who were blessed with better genes, but year after year Yates would show up even looking more freaky than he did the year prior... dat IGF-1/Insulin stack... here are some 1993 photos IMO he looked his best 93/94, before he tore his bicep.

The shadow...
47B8B113-FCA4-41A4-B46D-AE6CF1BC95FC.jpeg 37C5B0A8-1A67-401D-83AD-C54C4BE8E118.jpeg

He was doing a tweaked version of Mike Mentzers Heavy Duty, I think someone already mentioned it. People think it requires less work, it does but the working sets would be brutal, beyond failure. The movements focused on heavy weight using strict form being cognizant of keeping the resistance on the backside of the exercise, going until failure, then working past that by resisting the weight. You had to have a good workout partner, we would usually only train one or two body parts per week using Dorians “Blood and Guts”, when doing the large muscle groups like back or legs I’d be sore for days on end... sadly this training approach is why Dorian had to retire, he completely tore his bicep doing bent rows, then his tricep the next year IIRC.

Back