Story of Jesus Christ was 'fabricated to pacify the poor', claims Biblical scholar Joseph Atwill

I wonder what Jesus and Muhammad would say today if they knew their lies and bullshit were responsible for hundreds of millions of deaths in the past 2000 years.
Jesus would say the exact same things recorded in the Bible.

Well duh

The meek shall inherit the Earth

How else do you pacify someone with nothing?

Religion is what keeps the poor people from killing the rich.

Religion allows the poor to do anything as long as they repent after that. Sins are easily washed.

Well paid bodyguards are what keeps the rich alive.

I have a very hard time believing some people deliberately came up with a story with the intention of pacifying poor people. If that is true, then they sure did not do a very good job when you look at the incredible accomplishments that have been inspired by Christianity.

It could have been co-opted for that purpose.

@horc00

You are telling me the 1% can defeat the 99%

The only reason the 1% still exists is the 99% defend them, out of fear of god.

@horc00

You are telling me the 1% can defeat the 99%

The only reason the 1% still exists is the 99% defend them, out of fear of god.

The only 1% that were defended by the 99% in the past were religious leaders and the government, and they sometimes were the same people. Even then, they had the military to protect them.

As for the rich citizens, they absolutely weren't protected by the poor out of fear of god. Whatever protection they had was paid for in gold.

It gave them hope, and a feeling of personal value.

@horc00

What I’m saying is the 1% back then, couldn’t just rely on gold, they invented Christianity to passify the 99%. They relied on this group to be their troops and bodyguards as well. The only way to garuntee their safety was to promise eternal salvation or damnation

'To pacify the poor' no I don't buy it. Everyone was poor back then so what does that even mean. Mind control? You could look at most things that way. Government for example.

I'd be more likely to buy (and this applies to any major religion) that it was developed to unite people under a common purpose and to transcend tribal differences in order to build civilizations. That is what religions have done historically, and they can be used that way deliberately.

Last edited:
'In the beginning, man created god.'
He had no choice, how else could primitive man try to explain the world around him? Life/death, earthquakes, thunder/lightning, fires, floods, failed crops, etc, how does one find answers for these type of things?
They made up stories about superbeings being in charge of all of us.
Early mankind had no science, how else could they explain everything around them?

'To pacify the poor' no I don't buy it. Everyone was poor back then so what does that even mean. Mind control? You could look at most things that way. Government for example.

I'd be more likely to buy (and this applies to any major religion) that it was developed to unite people under a common purpose and to transcend tribal differences in order to build civilizations. That is what religions have done historically, and they can be used that way deliberately.

No, everyone was not poor back then, at least not in the roman empire. That's what the Gracchaian reforms were all about. That's by the brothers Gracchus were murdered. Some people, for example Cicero, were quite rich, while most people were extremely poor. Because of roman city planning, people were keenly aware of the disparity. It was a continual source of strife in the late republic and early empire.

About transcending tribal differences, this is actually how the Roman religion worked. New gods could be and were added to the pantheon all the time. This obviously couldn't happen with Christianity. Rather than building and spreading civilization, Christianity was spread by a civilization and led to quite a bit of conflict along the way. Funny enough, the only religion the romans ever really tried to kill became the world's most wide spread religion.

No, everyone was not poor back then, at least not in the roman empire. That's what the Gracchaian reforms were all about. That's by the brothers Gracchus were murdered. Some people, for example Cicero, were quite rich, while most people were extremely poor. Because of roman city planning, people were keenly aware of the disparity. It was a continual source of strife in the late republic and early empire.

About transcending tribal differences, this is actually how the Roman religion worked. New gods could be and were added to the pantheon all the time. This obviously couldn't happen with Christianity. Rather than building and spreading civilization, Christianity was spread by a civilization and led to quite a bit of conflict along the way. Funny enough, the only religion the romans ever really tried to kill became the world's most wide spread religion.

I imagine that he would be referring to the areas where the "fable" of Jesus Christ started spreading from, at the hands of men like St. Paul. I think it would be fair to say that these areas were probably dirt poor at that time, and quite far off their days of glory. The Jewish civilization was on the decline, and under Roman control.

So it was probably not the Semites, originally, that invented Jesus as a social control mechanism against the poor. If anything spreading Jesus's word may have been more of a "last hope" to empower the poor people in these areas. Indeed, it appears that Christianity, initially, was mostly a religious cult for social outcasts. Fanatical, beyond doubt, but not overtly powerful or influential.

But it is fully possible that the Romans, at a later date, saw the possible advantages in having the poor people of Rome believe in a benevolent deity and an after-life, instead focusing on secular matters, such as the increased division between the classes that partially led to Rome's decline. Rather than treating Christianity as a threatening social movement of the poor, as they had originally done, they decided to absorb it and mold it to serve the state's best interests. And thus, the corruption of the church and the "spirit" began, from the very day the organized church was established.

Of course, there's so much that we don't know, and never will know, about the origin of Christianity, that everything of this sort is basically reduced to "educated guesses" and speculation, even on the part of expert historians.

Making a statement such as "the story of Jesus Christ being fabricated to pacify the poor", sounds bold and bombastic, and possibly even logical, but in reality it's the statement of a hack. There's absolutely no way of verifying that statement on facts. It has been two thousand years since then, and unfortunately, not all of the records were well kept, including the potential original source material that may have been used as reference to write the gospels.

It would be more appropriate to say that the story of Jesus Christ has indeed been used to pacify the poor, many many times. That would be 100% factually correct.

Last edited:

The threat of eternal damnation to a person with nothing was a strong tool, who wants to life a shit life then be damned to hell? So they created eternal salvation, live your shit life, in the end, you go to heaven. It’s really quite simple if you actually look at the situation, the people, and the outcome

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...s-controversial-biblical-scholar-8870879.html

This is the identical set of conditions present today with Christians today.

"Outlining his ideas in a blog posting on his website Mr Atwill writes: "Christianity may be considered a religion, but it was actually developed and used as a system of mind control to produce slaves that believed God decreed their slavery.

Although Christianity can be a comfort to some, it can also be very damaging and repressive, an insidious form of mind control that has led to blind acceptance of serfdom, poverty, and war throughout history
"

Oh jeez. Joseph Atwill isn't a "Bible Scholar" he's an atheist who hates christianity and wrote some books about it. He then sold those books to other atheists who specifically hate christianity. This isn't new, and reading his work doesn't make you a deep thinker.

What does that have to do with the obviously made up story being made up?

Go on. Which part is the "made up part"? P.S., I'm agnostic, so if your reply is going to be some weak "LOL, CHRISTIANS" nonsense, please don't waste my time.

Because while you may not believe in genesis, you believe in something more insidious and dangerous. That weakness is strength. That weakness should be preserved. Fuckin weak ass shit brought down the Roman Empire and fuckin all of Europe. We need Gods of War. Not flags with a pussy on them. Who went down without a fight. The West fuckin despises strength.

This is comedy gold right here. They could make a south park episode on this material right here

Back