• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Economy stonks v27: banks, the kings of vega

Increased my SCHW position by 25% at $53.31.

SCHW looks a little juicy. I think we definitely have some further downside.. megacaps still holding up whilst everything else gets hammered but this seems a time to begin chipping away albeit I think we are in for a potentially a rough time economically for a while.

SCHW looks a little juicy. I think we definitely have some further downside.. megacaps still holding up whilst everything else gets hammered but this seems a time to begin chipping away albeit I think we are in for a potentially a rough time economically for a while.
It's alright, I've got a decent amount of cash now, so I'll buy on the way down. Bought again today at $51.37. Also bought more LMT at $404.19 and more HD at $292.48.

So it's like a round of funding for a privately held company, specifically for retail? That's interesting...and unusual.

Usually that's only open to the ultra-wealthy and hedge funds. Like with Theranos, where Betsy DeVos and Rupert Murdoch were dropping $100 million.

Regardless, I'd still stay away. Way too speculative for me. You're really rolling the dice with that.
Well I dropped 5G
I spend more on weed every year so I guess I can afford to lose it all.

giphy.gif

LMT has broken below $400. Picked up a good chunk at $399.50. Down over 20% since April now. Yield is now over 3% too.

LMT up 9% today, to $436.8, largely because of what took place in Israel. Other defense stocks, like Northrop Grumman NOC up even more today - 11,12%.

LMT also announced a 5% dividend increase over the weekend, which is a bit on the weaker side for them, but oh well. Their massive stock buybacks are also continuing. Hopefully they did some good buying when the stock was below $400 recently.

Lowest I got in was $397.77 on the 5th, which was fairly close to lows. It broke below $395 for a few minutes.

Last edited:
get on that ITA for some nice broad war exposure!

Looks like these markets are marching upwards no problem. I guess CPI will come in slightly hot but markets are already aware of that. Seems the bets are being placed on a pause for longer and no hikes for a while yet.

Seems small and med caps have been thrown in the trash, and a lot of deSPAC's are heading for bankruptcy. These high rates are crushing companies. Lucid 330k loss per a vehicle lmao.

Looking to perhaps get back in Oil on a greater pull back.

Thanks for the info. I don't buy individual stocks, my index funds track the S&P and others and it's been a good year of performance.

Can you talk more about why this will be a rough time for small and mid cap companies?

Making all kinda moves...

Increased my HD position by a good chunk...maybe 20%, between $287 and $285. My average cost per-share is now $291.89.

Added more SCHW. Got in below $50. Also created a limit order for more EWBC at $51 on Friday. To my surprise it got filled after hours.

I also parked some cash in PFF at $28.47. It's a preferred stock ETF. I had moderate success messing around with it 10+ years ago, and pretty good success with HYG, a junk bond ETF, during the Great Recession aftermath. You get a monthly dividend with PFF, and it's now yielding about 7.5%.

Oh...also added a very small amount of URI around $407 on Friday.

More buying! Couldn't resist. Bought BAC today at $25.73. Just about at its 52-week low. Looks about the lowest it's been in 3 years. 3.75% dividend is nice while I wait. I plan on this one being short-term. I'll sell at $30.

I think people are making much ado about nothing with the unrealized losses. The paper losses won't become real losses; instead, you're getting a pretty rock solid income stream that I think isn't greatly at risk. Stock is trading at 80% of book value.

MSFT very solid earnings. Nadella is just a beast of a CEO. And makes that can Ballmer look even worse as time goes by. Up 4.5% to $345.

GOOGL were also solid, but cloud didn't meet expectations, so down 6% anyway. Stock price been on a strong run recently though, so that 6% haircut doesn't really create an attractive buying opportunity.

Added more HD at $282.24. BAC hits new lows. Bought more at $25.37.

Back