Economy Stock market chat v4: Planet Fitness downgraded by rogues.

today's a ride. was about to make a popcorn.gif post about mdr, but then montana happened (or rather, didn't).

@brackis1 you're not still holding tlrd, are you? i figured you sold it the next day, but not sure if you were planning on sitting on it re: repurchase

today's a ride. was about to make a popcorn.gif post about mdr, but then montana happened (or rather, didn't).

@brackis1 you're not still holding tlrd, are you? i figured you sold it the next day, but not sure if you were planning on sitting on it re: repurchase
I've been traveling all day actually.
What happened?

I've been traveling all day actually.
What happened?

haha

nothing major. china canceled their agricultural tour of montana. market mini crashed. ~larger companies recovered some by end of day, smaller/shit companies like tlrd, nbev (and etc) bled out.

that, or it's all netflix's fault. THAT BASTARD

you missed a lot of predictable swings with mdr. some easy/free money for a while.

haha

nothing major. china canceled their agricultural tour of montana. market mini crashed. ~larger companies recovered some by end of day, smaller/shit companies like tlrd, nbev (and etc) bled out.

that, or it's all netflix's fault. THAT BASTARD

you missed a lot of predictable swings with mdr. some easy/free money for a while.
I actually tried to short MDR at 2.67 and got rejected was really bummed.
Shorted some CRC
Covered my ROKU short and tried to catch the bottom with mixed results. Just a few blinds trades from my phone.

Quiet in here.
NIO has been in tailspin due to their recalls for battery fire problems and the subsidy cuts in china.
I'm curious to see if this brings concerns for Tesla.

I'm thinking it's time to go underweight US equities.

Convince me I am wrong.

Fyi currently overweight. That debt load is getting bigger and its paid it's gains already. No talk of infrastructure spend.

i dunno, equities seems to still be the best choice. especially usa's.

not sure what you think looks better.

did my usual 'made a killing but still sold too soon' on nbev today.

So I finally broke down and deposited 1k in robin hood to mess around. Turns out I'm fkn horrible at this.

I bought 10 shares of lyft at 48...now at 45

Bought some zillow....down

Bought done roku at 108

AMC and subaru.

Basically everything is down....down 7% already.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not worried because I'm just gonna let it ride and it's only a G. It does however make me hesitant to start investing on the regular at least until I get a better understanding and strategy. I was considering just steadily investing in an index fund...I think they are available on RH.

Anyone got any advice for a newbie?

yeah, there are tons of ETFs. the most common is SPY, which follows the S&P.

as for advice, it depends on if you want to be an investor or trader. for investing, just buy the stocks (pick ones you believe will do well long-term, obviously) and basically walk away for a year. for trading, be opportunistic.

edit: speaking of, it's probably a great time to buy, since the market just dropped over basically nothing.

Last edited:
yeah, there are tons of ETFs. the most common is SPY, which follows the S&P.

as for advice, it depends on if you want to be an investor or trader. for investing, just buy the stocks (pick ones you believe will do well long-term, obviously) and basically walk away for a year. for trading, be opportunistic.

edit: speaking of, it's probably a great time to buy, since the market just dropped over basically nothing.

I guess I'm doing okay then since these are long term plays. You think a crash or major bear market is imminent ?

I guess I'm doing okay then since these are long term plays. You think a crash or major bear market is imminent ?

nah.

i mean, recessions are natural/inevitable at some point. but crashes aren't. and i don't think we'll have a recession all that soon, anyway. at least, not a natural one. the media's been seemingly trying to cause one/incite panic in the markets for a couple years now...

nah.

i mean, recessions are natural/inevitable at some point. but crashes aren't. and i don't think we'll have a recession all that soon, anyway. at least, not a natural one. the media's been seemingly trying to cause one/incite panic in the markets for a couple years now...
We will have segmented crashes based on herd investing and some things being overpegged for growth paired with a hopefully flat global population.
For the sake of humanity we need that lol.

Hating myself for weakhanding some MGI from 4.01 to 4.09 instead of 4.3 -_-
Grabbed some Twilio while it was around 106; Cramer gonna suck the CEO's dick this afternoon.

Went short SONO (Sonos) today. Luckily I couldn't get shares to short when I tried months ago in the 12s and shorted this time at 14.22
The new amazon speakers and the roku line are gonna destroy their marketshare in the millennial speaker market. No way a speaker-only company like theirs can justify 1.5bil valuation. Already made 1.5% :)

i don't even know who sonos is. haha. i played fairly conservatively/boringly today, since i stretched out more margin than i wanted yesterday by repeatedly failing to gauge the bottoms (or rather, fairly accurately gauging them only to have separate drops), but i just realized i'm using much less margin than i thought and am bummed that i wasn't aggro as usual.

made money off all of the dumb little stocks today.

i don't even know who sonos is. haha. i played fairly conservatively/boringly today, since i stretched out more margin than i wanted yesterday by repeatedly failing to gauge the bottoms (or rather, fairly accurately gauging them only to have separate drops), but i just realized i'm using much less margin than i thought and am bummed that i wasn't aggro as usual.

made money off all of the dumb little stocks today.
Never heard of Sonos? Not soros lol. A company selling wannabe bose systems
Thats great for my thesis lol

Never heard of Sonos? Not soros lol. A company selling wannabe bose systems
Thats great for my thesis lol
after looking into them, i really don't understand their valuation, either.

i'm no millenial, though...

after looking into them, i really don't understand their valuation, either.

i'm no millenial, though...
Insane margin on the hardware.
But seems like they're gonna get crushed.
I'm legitimately thinking of betting the farm against them if their valuation goes up any further on a trade deal, which won't do shit to stop them becoming a niche product at best.

i dunno, equities seems to still be the best choice. especially usa's.

not sure what you think looks better.

did my usual 'made a killing but still sold too soon' on nbev today.

Not much help for you guys but Aussie equities and property.
Debt.
I just don't see growth with so many headwinds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back