Economy Stock market chat second take: No Canadians allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.
bought Qualcomm puts. It has run up too fast imo

chart.ashx

How many of you have found success in the stock market?

any personal stories of success or dismal failure?

thanks

i played around early on for a few years then realised i'm not capable of beating the market over a sustained period of time, then i discovered index etf which is basically investing in the market as a whole so it's a simple long term approach

back in 2016 i heard about the rise of cannabis, and got in early on a cannabis stock, canopy and basically hit the jackpot with half my savings, i haven't cashed out yet, because i think there's still some more potential until it becomes legal at the federal in the US, after that i will cash out and put into index etf

A few minutes in the life of a day trader. This guy is from Discord chat.

He buys at $79.20 and sells at almost $80. So not even 80 cents per share. But if you throw a lot of money at it, its a decent gain.

Screenshot_20190418-200150.png

This guy feels real lucky getting Stone at this price lol .

Ok, I have been reading about insider buying. One person buying is not a strong signal. Maybe they are new to the company or whatever. There are many reasons for one insider to buy, but when many start buying that is when you start paying attention. Here are 4:

1. EQT Corp. (NYSE:EQT, $21.61) deals with natural gas in the Appalachian area. You may have never heard of EQT corporation, but you have probably used their products, as it’s the largest producer of natural gas in the United States.

Insider buying at the EQT Corporation has been prolific. The President, Robert McNally, bought almost 21,000 shares on March 29 at an average price of $20.80. He spent $200,000. The Executive Vice President, Erin Centofanti, bought almost 8,000 shares on March 29 at $20.83. Sue Smith, the CFO, paid $19.75 for 6,000 shares on March 14.

Back in February Jonathon Lushko, the General Counsel and a Senior VP of the company, purchased almost 8,000 shares on the open market at an average price of $19.04. That is an investment of almost $150,000. In addition, the Senior VP of Human Resources, David Smith, invested more than $300,000 when he purchased 16,800 shares of the stock at an average price of $19.06.

It is always interesting to see if and when the insiders buy their company stock after it has sold off significantly. In this case, the price of
EQT has fallen about 50% in less than a year. This could be the reason why these insiders decided to invest. The stock is currently trading around $21.61, so they have already profited nicely.

2. RumbleOn, Inc. (NASDAQ:RMBL, $5.60) is an e-commerce platform that is designed to help consumers and dealers finance, buy and sell used cars.

Denmar Dixon is a member of the Board of Directors of RumbleOn. Mr. Dixon purchased 50,000 shares at $4.76 in early April. He also made considerable purchases early last year before the stock rallied. Back then, it was trading around the same levels that it currently is.

3. Endologix, Inc. (NASDAQ:ELGX, $6.99) performs research and development and manufactures devices that treat aortic diseases. Its portfolio of products includes AFX Endovascular AAA System, Nellix and Ovation.

On April 3, it was announced that the CEO, John Onopchenko, invested $200,000 when he purchased just over 30,000 shares. This increased his personal holdings in the stock by almost 40%. The CFO, Vaseem Mahboob, invested $100,000 of his personal money when he acquired 15,000 shares. In addition, two of the company’s directors bought and additional 25,000 shares. These shares were all purchased at an average price of $6.61.

Endologix has lost more than 90% of its value over the past year. They have recently announced that they are going to restructure their debt. This could be a good thing, or it could be a sign of desperation. The insider buying may mean that the insiders think that the restructuring will work.

Chaparral Energy, Inc. (NYSE:CHAP, $5.58) is in the natural gas and oil exploration and production (E&P) business. Specifically, CHAP makes its money on deposits of Stack, Meramec and Osage, Oswego and Woodford located in Oklahoma and the Texas Panhandle. Founded by Mark A. Fischer and Charles A. Fischer in April 1988, Chaparral Energy is headquartered in Oklahoma City, OK.

The CEO of the company, K. Earl Reynolds, purchased 7,100 shares of CHAP on March 29th at an average price of $4.64. A large institutional holder, Strategic Value Partners, also recently acquired 900,000 shares at a price of $4.45.

The stock has fallen by more than 75% over the past year. Mr. Reynolds and the portfolio managers at Strategic Value Partners must believe that the stock is very attractive at these prices.

Wall Street likes this stock as well. It is followed by four firms that follow the company on a research basis. The average rating is a buy and the average target price is $18.38. That is more than 300% higher than where it is currently trading.

I lost my job today, so I'll have some money to invest in my Roth. Hooray?

I don't have much money. lol. It takes a lot of money to make a lot of money. I am building though. It alone can't sustain me at this point. It's add income. Even if I only make $100 a week, or 200 a month, that is a car insurance payment and pays for my phone. I always have most of my cash in the market.

You have to treat your money like it is on fire. It is burning and losing its value all the time. You should have at least some cash in case a good investment deal pops up and you can buy. Stocks are very liquid though. I can turn them into cash quickly.

It never ceases to amaze me that people just leave money sitting in their bank account. I'll admit, I'm still learning how to day trade and understand stocks etc, but simple things like inflation and finding high interest savings accounts to house an 'emergency fund' should be common knowledge. They should teach this in high-school for crying out loud.

Stone letter to shareholders explaining what's going on. I still believe and will add.

To our shareholders:

As we have seen in the past, competitor campaigns generate a lot of noise, but we remain focused on delivering a differentiated value proposition to our clients through our proprietary and disruptive business model. However, given some recent inquiries we have received and the lack of information in the market we wanted to share some of our thoughts and perspectives to put some of this noise into context.

Aggressive Initiatives to Recover Lost Share from Legacy Providers is Nothing New

We have seen numerous aggressive initiatives from competitors in the past, including discounts, promotions and “zero rate” offers, in an attempt to lure customers to legacy bank offerings that have been losing market share and to force clients to use additional bank services. For example, we have seen legacy providers announce high double digits discounts to our clients, which turned out to be closer to 5% or 10% in reality. We have also seen competitors offer 0% MDR rates to our clients, which turned into much higher rates after 3 months. Despite these efforts in the past, we have seen limited impact to our business, which has continued to produce growth and market share gains.

Anti-Competitive Actions from Banks are Not Uncommon in Brazil

We have seen banks in Brazil fined for anti-competitive actions as a result of their attempts to gain market share through untransparent pricing strategies. That´s how some large players in the country have been doing business for years. For example, Itaú paid fines in the recent past for anti-competitive measures that tied offerings together in an attempt to win new business. As noted in our prospectus, it was in 2010 that the Central Bank of Brazil and Brazilian antitrust authorities implemented a series of initiatives to create a regulatory framework aimed at fostering a more open and competitive environment. We designed Stone to disrupt the incumbents model and their practices by providing differentiated offerings to our clients through a strong client-centric culture as well as fair and transparent rates.

At This Moment, The Latest Incentive Offers from Competitors Don’t Change Our Strategy

We are always monitoring our competitive landscape and taking note of various marketing programs, competitor initiatives and potential anti-competitive actions. For example, Rede (an affiliate of Itaú) recently announced a new pricing offer for part of its prepayment solution, offering zero prepayment rates in some cases. Our initial thoughts on this are the following.

First, as total take rates paid by clients include other components such as MDRs and subscription revenue, it is still unclear what will be the benefit to clients on a take rate basis. Given discrepancies between how take rate is distributed among revenue streams from different players in the market, we do not believe that all clients being offered such zero prepayment rates will have lower take rates when compared to Stone´s current offering.

Second, we do not believe that clients choose Stone only based on price, but rather because of the value proposition it offers, that includes integrated solutions, unique customer service and level of support, reconciliation features, as well as transparency in all rates. That´s one of the reasons why Stone has been able to accelerate its net addition of clients, keeping healthy growth and take rate levels despite a very competitive market.

At this time, it is still very early to discuss how such new offerings from competition could impact our business. As always, we will continue to listen to our clients to find new ways to serve them better and disrupt existing incumbent offerings.

Stone will always advocate in the market and with authorities for transparency in the rates in Brazil to make it simpler for clients to understand and make their choice.

The relationship we have with our clients and shareholders is very important for us. If and when we see any material changes in our operations because of competition, we will be the first ones to communicate to you. We remain very confident in our strategy, the strength of our business model and our profitability going forward.

Kind Regards,

You guys ever heard of the better mousetrap theory? Using a mousetrap as an example of a product. You make a mouse trap that is better than all others and cheaper. You put it on the shelves and the wheels of time will eventually spin it to the top. NO. lol. The best product often fails. It is so much more than that. I used to think otherwise. If you make a great product at great prices it should take care of itself and eventually rise to the top.

So many examples of this. Arlo for example. May be the best camera in its class. That doesn't matter. Many people think that marketing just communicates value that has already been created. No. It creates value itself.

"I think Henry Ford once said, 'If I'd asked customers what they wanted, they would have told me, “A faster horse!”' People don't know what they want until you show it to them. That's why I never rely on market research. Our task is to read things that are not yet on the page.”

-Steve Jobs

“Talent hits a target no one else can hit. Genius hits a target no one else can see.”

― Arthur Schopenhauer

What did early Apple customers want after the Apple 2? A better Apple 2. A faster horse. They don't say, "I want a Mac". You have to invent that and tell them they want it.

I really like the part about seeing what isn't on the page. When you study the market, you are doing market research. All these charts and patterns are great for seeing things on the left side of the screen and everybody can see them. They tell us nothing about what it is to come on the right. The unseen.

A master at work. "Never trust a computer you can't lift."

Last edited:
I also like this analogy and Youtube series. This guy summarizes famous business books. The intelligent investor by Benjamin Graham. The market is like a crazy, bi polar neighbor. You buy a house for 100,000. You know that is its value. But every day some nutcase knocks on your door and offers to buy your house for more or less. lol. Ignore the nutcase. You know what it is worth.

The fuckin irony is that Wozniak is more arrogant than Jobs. He is a genius and he knows it. He isn't a dick about it but it is something he doesn't try to downplay at all. He's always tooting his horn. Which is fine but people act like Woz was this humble guy who got screwed and Jobs was the bad guy. Woz is still getting paid by Apple. He said only Jobs had the authority to fire him and he never did lol.

people often compare Stocks to gambling.

do you find this analogy accurate?
(disclaimer: I know jack shit about stocks)

I know you didn't ask me, but I'm sticking my nose in here lol.

I would say the analogy is inaccurate.

First off, in the loosest sense, pretty much everything in life can be considered a gamble. Driving a car is gambling you won't get hit by someone and die. Going out for a beer is a gamble you won't run into a crazed lunatic who will shoot you. Absurd examples, but what I"m trying to say is that because something has risk, doesn't mean it's not an endeavor worth following.

Investing in stocks has risk, but unlike a gambler who's odds are stacked against them and in favor of the house, an investor generally has odds heavily in their favor that they will make positive returns, especially over time, and especially the longer the time window.

Essentially investing in stocks is investing in a business, and investing in hte overall economy, and "gambling" that mankind will continue to innovate, do things faster/better/cheaper, and in turns produce value. That's what mankind, despite all it's imperfections and at times huge fuck ups, does indeed do.

Investments result in people growing their wealth as they ultimately are rewarded for providing their financial resources to those who need it in order to build better mouse traps. Think of what a bank does for a company. Someone has a great idea and starts a company. They get money from the bank, which is essentially the bank getting their cut in the form of interest, for funding that great idea. The person with the idea plans on profiting beyond just his cost of interest. So to turn that into fruition, he needs funding.

Think the same as a student who needs a loan to go to school. The idea is to invest in themselves to the point htat they can produce value in excess of the opportunity cost and cost of their student loan.

Investing in stocks is the same. You are investing in the capital of the firm you purchase in that they can create value greater than their cost of borrowing / cost of capital. And as such, you are rewarded for it.

Betting that economies and GDP will continue to grow is a much different set up than someone saying "I'll bet you $50 bucks that if I flip this coin it'll be heads". Now, to be fair, that is describing the passive, equity, index investor. You can certainly get riskier and more into a gambler if you are looking to buy/sell in very short terms looking for speculative price moves. And that would be because you're underlying bet isn't based on a long term fundamental assumption, but instead an ability to "time the market" which inherently has short term irrationality is spots or in specific companies that could be susceptible to idiosyncratic events that are very hard to predict like frauds and scandals.

The investing concepts around risk adjusted returns are alpha and beta. Alpha being getting extra return from an investment that carries that same amount of risk as another. And Beta is essentially how an individual investment's returns varies from the larger index.

Invest 70% of your money, but keep 30% as reserve and emergency fund. In case market crashes, you can still scoop some stock up for cheap.
I do the opposite . I keep a small reserve as cash and the rest is invested. Sitting on cash means you're losing out, and have been for over ten years now.
I ride my stocks down and add to them occasionally on weaknesses. Waiting for a downturn, you're just losing to the market and inflation

I lost my job today, so I'll have some money to invest in my Roth. Hooray?
That sucks man. Redundancy?
Hopefully you're backin Soon due to low unemployment and your background

I never had these but I watched some documentaries. The reporter and restaurant critic had to admit they couldn't tell the difference. I'll buy.

Beyond Meat is going public: 5 things to know about the plant-based meat maker

Beyond Meat, the company created by vegan Ethan Brown in 2009, is planning to go public to raise the money it needs to grow its line of plant-based meats.

The maker of the Beyond Burger, which is sold at Whole Foods and restaurant chain TGIF, set terms for the deal on Monday, saying in a regulatory filing that it plans to offer 8.75 million shares priced at $19 to $21 each. The company would raise $183.8 million at the top of that range and be valued at $1.21 billion. It has applied to list on Nasdaq under the ticker symbol “BYND”.

Goldman Sachs, JPMorgan and Credit Suisse are lead underwriters on the deal with BofA Merrill Lynch, Jefferies and William Blair acting as co-managers. The company, which also makes pork and poultry products, has not yet set a price range or specified how much it is aiming to raise, using the placeholder sum of $100 million in its prospectus.

Proceeds of the deal will be used to expand current manufacturing facilities and open new ones, to finance research and development and to boost sales and marketing, along with the catchall “general corporate purposes,” according to the prospectus.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/b...-based-meat-maker-2018-11-23?siteid=rss&rss=1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back