Economy Stock market chat second take: No Canadians allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.
GD is up nicely with the Lockheed Martin news.

I'm sure you know this but they have many classic brands. I think this is a perfect example of what I was talking about brands. Cramer is always goes on about this. The "pantry" brands are dying in food. Classic brands are dying and their portfolio is a perfect example of these dying brands.

Mr Coffee
Crock Pot
Rubbermaid
Yankee Candle

Coleman- this one actually interests me. I think they make good grills and camping equipment.

Then there are the big ones that defined many childhoods that are dying. Elmer's glue. That shit is classic. Papermate. Sharpie.

I see a bunch of unhip brands. Be careful, the yield may be all you get. Actually, they may cut it. It seems like a logical step.

I was looking at their brands just a minute ago.
I think the whole unhip brand thing is a bit over played. It's hard for me to see all those brands fail. The divided cut if any probably won't be that drastic. I checked simply wall Street and looks like the future payout account 54% of earnings.
I'll do a little more research. Plus I never jump in big on any stock. I believe in dollar cost averaging. I'll probably buy 1k at the most at a time.

I was looking at their brands just a minute ago.
I think the whole unhip brand thing is a bit over played. It's hard for me to see all those brands fail. The divided cut if any probably won't be that drastic. I checked simply wall Street and looks like the future payout account 54% of earnings.
I'll do a little more research. Plus I never jump in big on any stock. I believe in dollar cost averaging. I'll probably buy 1k at the most at a time.

Dividend cut is a big black eye for a company. That is the problem with them. You can't go back on them or the market will kill you. This thing is known as being a low growth dividend stock, but if it reduces its dividend, it reduces most of what attracts people to it.

Picked up some SNAP the last few days and it looks like it had a good earnings call.

Learned my lesson and finally won on Snap.
Also a small victory on sixflags :)

This isnt many shares but hope will give them good habits:

Russell Wilson finally has his $140 million contract extension and is now the highest-paid player in the NFL. To thank the linemen who protected him along the way, Wilson reportedly spent more than six figures on a somewhat peculiar gift.

Russell Wilson’s Amazon gift

With Amazon’s stock price currently hovering around $1,800, that $12,000 should roughly work out to around six or seven shares for each lineman.

"When I sat down to think of ways to honor your dedication a dozen different ideas came to mind. Some were flashy, some were cool, but I wanted to give you something that had a lasting impact. Something that would affect the lives of you, your family, and your children."

This isnt many shares but hope will give them good habits:

Russell Wilson finally has his $140 million contract extension and is now the highest-paid player in the NFL. To thank the linemen who protected him along the way, Wilson reportedly spent more than six figures on a somewhat peculiar gift.

Russell Wilson’s Amazon gift

With Amazon’s stock price currently hovering around $1,800, that $12,000 should roughly work out to around six or seven shares for each lineman.

"When I sat down to think of ways to honor your dedication a dozen different ideas came to mind. Some were flashy, some were cool, but I wanted to give you something that had a lasting impact. Something that would affect the lives of you, your family, and your children."
this is total bullshit paraded by amazon to pump their stock lol.
Also notice how it's below the legal taxable threshold of 15k in gifts per year per person.
If it's existing stock he bought or was given years ago by amazon he is also loading them with some fat unrealized capital gains taxes.
The whole thing is fucking weird
Carson Wentz is a known outdoorsman and Yeti conveniently was the gift for his lineman last year.
Almost all celebrity "giveaways" are just free product from companies and/or via sponsorship

Anyone else dodge the GEO GROUP and Corecivics drop last month?

Yeah on Amazon news.

I'm back from vacay and quite salty that I didn't let my SNBR short run for another 10%
TSLA wont fucking die and it's absurd. Elon Musk making up complete bullshit about 1 million robotaxis within the next few years lol. Bruv you can't even make 500k cars a year.

Their earnings will be a mess tomorrow. I think this is his last lever to pull before the noose tightens.

What app/s are you guys using to trade?

Anaylsts "downgraded" IRDM from strong buy to outperform after it beat earnings yesterday. $30 price target. Not much of a downgrade but knocked it down. I will add. This is the satellite company I was talking about that was critical in investigating the Boeing crashes.

chart.ashx

people often compare Stocks to gambling.

do you find this analogy accurate?
(disclaimer: I know jack shit about stocks)

maybe a little. i have the robinhood app on my phone and id be ashamed to know how many times a day i glance at it. and for what? i rarely decide that i actually need to buy or sell something.

Well moneygram finally popped for me after 2 months of waiting with a 15% uptick today.

Dominoes I shorted off earnings and am shocked it went up another 5%, pretty salty. Likewise that Snap plummeted off earnings after Twitter spiked yesterday.

Shorting Harley was candy from a baby at least.

Last edited:
maybe a little. i have the robinhood app on my phone and id be ashamed to know how many times a day i glance at it. and for what? i rarely decide that i actually need to buy or sell something.

Yea, I had a few clients (tax clients) who had modest gains via Robinhood.

I have a very addictive personality, so I stay clear from STocks.

welcome to the club.

Wow, the big oil companies are really duking it out. Chevron bought this company recently, or was about to, was considered just about finished, and then Occidental outbid them. This has been a narrative. These smaller oil companies in the permian are good buy out targets. One shouldn't buy a stock simply on hope of a buyout tho.

HOUSTON (Reuters) - Oil and gas producer Occidental Petroleum Corp on Wednesday made a $57 billion bid for Anadarko Petroleum Corp, topping Chevron Corp's $50 billion offer and sparking the first takeover battle for a major oil company in years.

The surprise $76-per-share bid comes after Occidental had been trying to woo Anadarko and had made two other proposals since late March. Anadarko plans to reply to the offer later in the day, a spokesman said.

The bid pushed Anadarko shares up more than 11 percent in early morning trading to $71.25, well above the $65 per share offered by Chevron. Occidental shares fell about 2 percent to $61.07.

Occidental, which has made two previous offers, boosted the cash portion to 50 percent. Chevron's offer comprised 25 percent cash and 75 percent stock.

A deal would boost Occidental's production in the lucrative Permian to 533,000 barrels of oil equivalent production per day, the company said.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/occidental-offers-buy-anadarko-57-112115458.html

chart.ashx

Last edited:
How many of you have found success in the stock market?

any personal stories of success or dismal failure?

thanks
I had one great outlier. Bought US airways at 17.50, they then merged with American and had a great year. Sold around $50. Rebought at $30 after the ebola scare and sold it again at $45.

Other than that, it was win some lose some. I mostly deal with mutual funds now since I don't want to constantly keep researching stocks.

Sirius XM earnings fail. I may add in a few days. 3 day rule. When a stock drops big, wait another day or two to make sure it is done dropping. Not any kind of real rule but something to consider. The bottom blue line seems to be acting as support and it is there now.

chart.ashx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back