Economy Stock market chat second take: No Canadians allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.
REITs still getting hit. I'm buying some.

Was losing your job expected? Are you in trouble?

Unexpected at this time, expected in the future due to restructuring and company focus. I just took the job last July, so I'm not happy about it.

REITs still getting hit. I'm buying some.

If O declines, I'm happy with it. It's yield should realistically be around 5% and it's just over 4% right now. It's had a good run up, and I'm happy with the monthly divs, but I want to reinvest at lower prices.

If O declines, I'm happy with it. It's yield should realistically be around 5% and it's just over 4% right now. It's had a good run up, and I'm happy with the monthly divs, but I want to reinvest at lower prices.

I buy REITs for my dad. lol. Got him some O today. I manage my parents account too. I am much more conservative with their money. I have gotten a lower return too. That could obviously change. His oil plays are paying off now. Valero for example. 4% yield too.

chart.ashx

Got him some IRT today too. Around 7% yield

chart.ashx

This is one of the stocks I posted about a few days ago with insider buying. Energy stock

chap.jpg

I bought Abbot Lab calls. This company is huge and the whole sector is getting hit.

chart.ashx

Qcom still ripping. I somehow made money on my puts I bought on Thursday though. Don't know how. I bought them for 180 and put a limit sell order in for 200 last night and I woke up and they are sold.

I know you didn't ask me, but I'm sticking my nose in here lol.

I would say the analogy is inaccurate.

First off, in the loosest sense, pretty much everything in life can be considered a gamble. Driving a car is gambling you won't get hit by someone and die. Going out for a beer is a gamble you won't run into a crazed lunatic who will shoot you. Absurd examples, but what I"m trying to say is that because something has risk, doesn't mean it's not an endeavor worth following.

Investing in stocks has risk, but unlike a gambler who's odds are stacked against them and in favor of the house, an investor generally has odds heavily in their favor that they will make positive returns, especially over time, and especially the longer the time window.

Essentially investing in stocks is investing in a business, and investing in hte overall economy, and "gambling" that mankind will continue to innovate, do things faster/better/cheaper, and in turns produce value. That's what mankind, despite all it's imperfections and at times huge fuck ups, does indeed do.

Investments result in people growing their wealth as they ultimately are rewarded for providing their financial resources to those who need it in order to build better mouse traps. Think of what a bank does for a company. Someone has a great idea and starts a company. They get money from the bank, which is essentially the bank getting their cut in the form of interest, for funding that great idea. The person with the idea plans on profiting beyond just his cost of interest. So to turn that into fruition, he needs funding.

Think the same as a student who needs a loan to go to school. The idea is to invest in themselves to the point htat they can produce value in excess of the opportunity cost and cost of their student loan.

Investing in stocks is the same. You are investing in the capital of the firm you purchase in that they can create value greater than their cost of borrowing / cost of capital. And as such, you are rewarded for it.

Betting that economies and GDP will continue to grow is a much different set up than someone saying "I'll bet you $50 bucks that if I flip this coin it'll be heads". Now, to be fair, that is describing the passive, equity, index investor. You can certainly get riskier and more into a gambler if you are looking to buy/sell in very short terms looking for speculative price moves. And that would be because you're underlying bet isn't based on a long term fundamental assumption, but instead an ability to "time the market" which inherently has short term irrationality is spots or in specific companies that could be susceptible to idiosyncratic events that are very hard to predict like frauds and scandals.

The investing concepts around risk adjusted returns are alpha and beta. Alpha being getting extra return from an investment that carries that same amount of risk as another. And Beta is essentially how an individual investment's returns varies from the larger index.

giphy.gif

Newell Brands is hilarious. Glad I got out. I'm tempted to get back in.

chart.ashx

<Lmaoo>

Bought some KSS last week and it’s shot up 8% today. Nice

Bought some KSS last week and it’s shot up 8% today. Nice
Yeah on Amazon news.

I'm back from vacay and quite salty that I didn't let my SNBR short run for another 10%
TSLA wont fucking die and it's absurd. Elon Musk making up complete bullshit about 1 million robotaxis within the next few years lol. Bruv you can't even make 500k cars a year.

That fuckin oil company with insider buying is a rocket I missed.

chart.ashx

Jetblue did good on earnings. Iridium did good on earnings. Good day.

Healthcare is back. Glad I loaded up. REITs are back too. Everything is. Funko up more than 5%

chart.png

I will show my failures too. As Francis Bacon said, the root of all superstitions is that men see things when they hit and not when they miss. I bought WOW on insider buying and it has been shit. Down big again today even. lol. Fortunately, it isn't making a dent in my account cuz almost all others are doing good.

chart.ashx

TAIT- Taitron Components up 11% today.
Up 58% for the month.

The yield is up to 4.9. Might buy some.

I'm sure you know this but they have many classic brands. I think this is a perfect example of what I was talking about brands. Cramer is always goes on about this. The "pantry" brands are dying in food. Classic brands are dying and their portfolio is a perfect example of these dying brands.

Mr Coffee
Crock Pot
Rubbermaid
Yankee Candle

Coleman- this one actually interests me. I think they make good grills and camping equipment.

Then there are the big ones that defined many childhoods that are dying. Elmer's glue. That shit is classic. Papermate. Sharpie.

I see a bunch of unhip brands. Be careful, the yield may be all you get. Actually, they may cut it. It seems like a logical step.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back