Economy Stock Market chat. Discuss everything from Musk to iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're not really zero man. Brokers have a number of tricks in order to make hidden fees off of your orders- for example, selling them to HFTs that then 'front run' your order (which can be illegal under some circumstances). So you're just paying more in the bid/ask spread, that's how they make their commissions these days. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...controversial-bargain-with-high-speed-traders

Any decent index fund contains hundreds of individual equities, not just 20. There are all kinds of issues with ETFs (they're partly made up of derivatives and so only suitable for very short-term trading- within a week they start to diverge far from the actual equity in question).

You. Can't. Beat. The. Market. Dude. Yes what they're doing is different all right lol. They're losing money while I'm making money

Tell me what ETFs you own. I want to see what great gains you made on them. VOO is barely green the last 365 days. I am up 40%.

Last edited:
Buffett and Berkshire released their 4th quarter moves. Reduced Apple and totally exited Oracle. Added STNE. This is already moving the market.

Screenshot_20190214-164648.png

Man I've gotten cruuuushed the last few days on some bad earnings.
Won some bets on oil recovery but got smoked on a small position of Bristow Helicopters (down over 50%) and shorting Sleep Number (overpriced crap beds were about the only retail to beat somehow). Now I get to sit and watch it flop around trading way below book.

Keen on Bloom Energy though and like this STNE news :)

Still waiting on Canopy earnings to release tonight. This delay makes me wish I'd shorted it.

No, I don't pay a commission. I pay what I put the order in for. Limit order. There is no slippage.

I don't think you understand the discussion. The point is that 'no commission' companies are simply charging you fees in other, hidden ways. I linked the Bloomberg article showing that one way is that they front run your order to an HFT who screws you. You, the retail trader, are the dumb money- the sucker at the table. (How do you think these for-profit corporations make money, anyways? You thought they were giving you free trades because they're nice guys?)

I don't think you understand the discussion. The point is that 'no commission' companies are simply charging you fees in other, hidden ways. I linked the Bloomberg article showing that one way is that they front run your order to an HFT who screws you. You, the retail trader, are the dumb money- the sucker at the table. (How do you think these for-profit corporations make money, anyways? You thought they were giving you free trades because they're nice guys?)

If he's paying the price he wants and nothing more than how's he a sucker?

Right. Paying what I want to pay makes me a sucker. You gonna tell me these index funds you made bank on?

I know how the system works you clown. Firms move as close to exchanges as possible to outspeed people and each other. You are giving me sophmoroic information .

Last edited:
Stone is a rocket today. I'm adding more Twitter too.

been learning to scalp, learning option call and puts, and had to resort back to basic futures, none of that is clicking well enough for me or style too complex. Took a nice run on ES last time from the 2730 low, one heck of a run.

Stone is a rocket today. I'm adding more Twitter too.
Stone honestly sucks ass today I'm pissed it hasn't popped closer to 7-8%.
Had a nice little runup on MoneyGram today that I vultured after earnings, made 10% today on that.

Arlo is tempting me

chart.ashx
It's a risky one for sure. I got torched on a small position. Their latest model got delayed on top of poor earnings. This one could fold as part of a tech bubble or get bought out by someone who sees it as cheap if they believe they can hold marketshare.

My current debate is over the much discussed Herbalife company.
Any halfway smart person knows this is a giant pyramid scheme, but the stock has historically crushed shortsellers. Recently a competitor in the Multilevel marketing vitamin space Usana had bad earnings, but Herbalife is a much bigger player. Trading around all-time highs and up 50% over the last year, but their CEO resigned as part of a DOJ thing last month.
Very tempted to short where big time hedge funds have tried and failed.

My current debate is over the much discussed Herbalife company.
Any halfway smart person knows this is a giant pyramid scheme, but the stock has historically crushed shortsellers. Recently a competitor in the Multilevel marketing vitamin space Usana had bad earnings, but Herbalife is a much bigger player. Trading around all-time highs and up 50% over the last year, but their CEO resigned as part of a DOJ thing last month.
Very tempted to short where big time hedge funds have tried and failed.

Herbal Life only lived cuz Carl Icahn doesn't like Bill Ackman. Icahn has the gift. He made Caesars pop yesterday by saying he is pushing them to sell. He owns like 10%.

Looks a little risky, hope it pays off.
BOX has been going quite well for me.

I put my money on the long shots.

I went from luke warm to hot. etc. If my situation aint improving I'm trying to murder everything moving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back