Economy Stock Market chat. Discuss everything from Musk to iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.businessinsider.com/new-yorks-governor-called-tesla-for-help-with-nyc-subway-2019-1

• New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo has reached out to Tesla for ideas to improve New York City's subway system, Cuomo said during a press conference on Thursday.
  • "I called up Tesla and I said, here's the question: We're trying to move subway cars, get them closer together. Do you have any ideas? You're talking about flying cars, we're just talking about moving trains," he said.
God that is so painful to read and shows how confused/deluded people following Musk are.
Flying cars? lol. Most people clearly have no idea about technology in the slightest.

Can anyone tell me if this will mean that's Apple will give great new smartphone deals for X XR and XS

Roku's new content partnership with Showtime, Starz, and other premium channels is "just the beginning" of a greater expansion into paid content, the company's VP of programming and engagement told Cheddar Thursday.

Roku announced Wednesday it is expanding The Roku Channel to include "premium subscriptions." The new content is in addition to the more than 10,000 free ad-supported movies and TV episodes already available.

https://cheddar.com/videos/roku-dea...he-beginning-of-premium-content-plans-roku-vp

somebody tried to pump apple. fail

aapl.jpg

Roku's new content partnership with Showtime, Starz, and other premium channels is "just the beginning" of a greater expansion into paid content, the company's VP of programming and engagement told Cheddar Thursday.

Roku announced Wednesday it is expanding The Roku Channel to include "premium subscriptions." The new content is in addition to the more than 10,000 free ad-supported movies and TV episodes already available.

https://cheddar.com/videos/roku-dea...he-beginning-of-premium-content-plans-roku-vp
What does this actually mean though? I'm unaware of what Roku does beyond tv top and remotes. Is this basically just integrated access to those networks for cable cutters who want to buy them?
They've gotten destroyed lately on the markets

Airlines getting killed as usual. Richard Branson said the easiest way to become a millionaire is to be a billionaire and then get in the airline business. Warren Buffett said the Wright brothers should be shot. It's a tough industry.

103917827-GettyImages-104016838.1910x1000.jpg

What does this actually mean though? I'm unaware of what Roku does beyond tv top and remotes. Is this basically just integrated access to those networks for cable cutters who want to buy them?
They've gotten destroyed lately on the markets

Everyone has been getting destroyed in the markets. They are perfect for people like my parents. One remote and device that does Netflix, Amazon, etc.

Everyone has been getting destroyed in the markets. They are perfect for people like my parents. One remote and device that does Netflix, Amazon, etc.
No I mean, what does this Roku Channel bullshit and what does this new announcement mean beyond there being an app on the roku for each of those channels?

Roku has been getting particularly abused. 55% loss in 3 months.

dividend growth investor here. I hold 31 div paying stocks in IRAs and Roth IRAs, and various MFs in 401ks.

Current yield is 3% (was 2.8% or so before December insanity hit), with div growth of 9.32% on average right now. I'll take a 9.3% increase in pay every year when I retire.

I’m long on aapl as I think the fundamentals are still strong. Got murdered today, obviously.

No I mean, what does this Roku Channel bullshit and what does this new announcement mean beyond there being an app on the roku for each of those channels?

Roku has been getting particularly abused. 55% loss in 3 months.

Buy roku at 30 and thank me later. It's a swing trade. This is not about Roku's future as a business long term. It will bounce.

Last edited:
FSMEX has been my best performer. Also has been paying out pretty nice dividends.

dividend growth investor here. I hold 31 div paying stocks in IRAs and Roth IRAs, and various MFs in 401ks.

Current yield is 3% (was 2.8% or so before December insanity hit), with div growth of 9.32% on average right now. I'll take a 9.3% increase in pay every year when I retire.

I'm more / less the same. I don't really have the time more so than patience to monitor the market on a day by day basis to be willing to day trade or actively trade. My goal is to never sell any of my assets, so to me, just getting in at good yields is what I'm after, so I've been buying into this market. I'm content with a ~ 3% spread between my cost to borrow and the dividend yield on my asset purchases, and hoping for share appreciation as gravy. I've hit a pretty solid amount of dividends in 2018, well above the average annual income people have even after my borrowing cost, for what that's worth.

I think there might be some more rough days in the market ahead, that I would continuously buy into to be honest. It's funny that given my objectives, I'm usually happy when prices tank. But really that's a lessen for wider investors... retail investors tend to buy in times of exuberance and sell at times of panic which truly is not a good formula. When you don't need the money, it's much easier to avoid falling into that trap.

Those mfer's at Apple need to earn their huge paychecks and quit wasting money building the fancy UFO headquarters building. It's embarrassing. Sounds like a lot of their iPhone sales are coming from existing users upgrading, but not this time due to battery replacements. They need to focus on new revenue sources and quit rolling out iOS updates that fuck shit up that needs immediate patching.

I’m long on aapl as I think the fundamentals are still strong. Got murdered today, obviously.
P/E ratio shrinking. I'm hoping they aggressively do stock buybacks now dirt cheap so at least EPS goes up.

apple is a terrible company post jobs. every new iphone is the same thing with a bigger screen and a better camera. no new innovation whatesover
All that post-Jobs health monitoring, overlay augmented reality glasses, and car shit needs to add to revenue soon. Cook mentioned yesterday on CNBC something about their ad service, so about fucking time they make some ad money like Google does.

If its not too much trouble, would you be willing to post your list?

No problem. I have a google doc with 7 sheets on it for all things retirement related. There's a mix of high payers, low growers (O, T, VZ) mid pay, mid grow (nearly everything else) and low pay, high growers (V, MA, LOW, ITW, HD)

WMT
BDX
O
T
V
GIS
VZ
APD
MA
CAH
DIS
JNJ