Economy Stock Market chat. Discuss everything from Musk to iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at LMT and Northrop. Both charts basically are identical. Defense seems to move together. Except Boeing because they are involved in civilian shit.

Apple's forward PE is 11. That is great.

LMT and BA are your major players, and both win huge government contracts around the world, which means they're books are solid for years to come. I don't know much about Northrop though, so I can't offer any insight there.

I checked AAPL's P/E this morning and it said 12 (12.05 right now on Google Finance). Either way, that's way too low for the company that prints money, even with a lowered forecast. That's buy territory, in my opinion. It's in my wife's Roth, so I'm going to add some funds to it to buy in the next day or so.

I don't currently own any, but they're very good at printing money and paying reliable dividends, albeit with minimal growth. The big 4 people gravitate towards are SO, ED, DUK, and D. The only one worth buying at current price levels is ED because it's P/E is 3.43 currently. Others are too high, like SO's 70+ P/E. I do enjoy the very low betas they offer though, because while I'm a dividend growth investor, I also like to have a low overall beta to try to avoid those wild swings. Div payers/growers + low beta = long term success, IMO. Plus, the current yields on utilities is generally lower than it should be, with even ED's being under 4%. Utilities need to be closer to 5% for me to consider them as a small part of my portfolio.

At this point in my life I prefer other "bond replacements" like T, VZ and O because they at least have the ability to grow, albeit slower than the general market.

AEP has had a good year and is in a dip now. been in an uptrend for years. Actually, D is similar. I used to own them but got sick of them moving like molasses. ETR is another that has been in an uptrend for years.

chart.ashx

chart.ashx

chart.ashx

For what it matters, here's a breakdown of my portfolio.

Sector, Dollar weight, income weight
Energy 0.00% 0.00%
Materials 3.43% . 3.18%
Industrials 12.67% 12.57%
Consumer Discretionary 15.31% 12.45%
Consumer Staples 25.89% 30.31%
Healthcare 12.69% 11.39%
Financials 4.05% 5.80%
IT 16.51% 6.90%
Telecom 9.44% 17.41%
Utilities 0.00% 0.00%
Other 0.00% 0.00%

As you can see some industries pay much higher divs than others, and some are growing rapidly. Technically V and MA are in the IT sector, and they're both growing divs at roughly 20% with a low starting div amount, which is why their dollars don't match their income weight. It balances out the telecom sector.

oil stocks are still cheap imo. oxy. mro.

chart.ashx

chart.ashx

You will get a nice dividend with Royal Dutch Shell too. over 6%

For what it matters, here's a breakdown of my portfolio.

Sector, Dollar weight, income weight
Energy 0.00% 0.00%
Materials 3.43% . 3.18%
Industrials 12.67% 12.57%
Consumer Discretionary 15.31% 12.45%
Consumer Staples 25.89% 30.31%
Healthcare 12.69% 11.39%
Financials 4.05% 5.80%
IT 16.51% 6.90%
Telecom 9.44% 17.41%
Utilities 0.00% 0.00%
Other 0.00% 0.00%

As you can see some industries pay much higher divs than others, and some are growing rapidly. Technically V and MA are in the IT sector, and they're both growing divs at roughly 20% with a low starting div amount, which is why their dollars don't match their income weight. It balances out the telecom sector.

Financial stocks have been horrific. May be a good time to buy. Healthcare is always good and doesn't slow with recession.

You guys ever look at what the big dogs are buying? From sites like Guru focus. I watch what Carl Icahn does. Among others. But he started pumping money into Energen earlier last year and it soon rocketed and was bought out. I like Icahn. IEP is his ticker. It is down big, diversified and big dividend.

Icahn Enterprises L.P., through its subsidiaries, operates in investment, automotive, energy, railcar, gaming, metals, mining, food packaging, real estate, and home fashion businesses in the United States, Germany, and Internationally. Its Investment segment operates various private investment funds.

Just one thing to say on this subject: fuck Apple.

Edit: I normally abhor shitposting, so my apologies, but yeah, fuck 'em.

Last edited:
Financial stocks have been horrific. May be a good time to buy. Healthcare is always good and doesn't slow with recession.

Technically my only financial is O, a REIT. I think this year a new category came up for REITs alone, but it's a pain in the arse to change my spreadsheets so I left it in financials.

And yes, they've been hammered. I've been really tempted to buy CINF or even DFS or TROW. All have low P/Es at the moment (CINF is 22, not bad for a midcap stock). I owned WFC for a bit, and was up 20-30% when the fake account news hit, and I sold right away.

You guys ever look at what the big dogs are buying? From sites like Guru focus. I watch what Carl Icahn does. Among others. But he started pumping money into Energen earlier last year and it soon rocketed and was bought out. I like Icahn. IEP is his ticker. It is down big, diversified and big dividend.

Icahn Enterprises L.P., through its subsidiaries, operates in investment, automotive, energy, railcar, gaming, metals, mining, food packaging, real estate, and home fashion businesses in the United States, Germany, and Internationally. Its Investment segment operates various private investment funds.

damn man, 12.5% div right now.

Here's my list for potential targets this year: BA, GPC, CHD, SBUX, ABBV, KR, K, TROW, XOM.

I still want to add more to CLX, ADP, TGT, KMB, and HD.

I really wish I could buy individual stocks in my 401k program.

Here's my list for potential targets this year: BA, GPC, CHD, SBUX, ABBV, KR, K, TROW, XOM.

I still want to add more to CLX, ADP, TGT, KMB, and HD.

I really wish I could buy individual stocks in my 401k program.

I got Target in the 80s not too long ago. 60s now. I'm not selling though. I like what they are doing with their stores.

Thinking about buying some vix or short the market etfs. In case this goes south. Volatility has been ridiculous. Starbucks has been good. I believed in that company when they dropped big to the 40s.

I love picking stocks. It is more art than science as Peter Lynch says. It's like being a talent scout.

I like to buy chicken stock when I go to the market.

What's your go to stock @Clippy ?

I got Target in the 80s not too long ago. 60s now. I'm not selling though. I like what they are doing with their stores.

Thinking about buying some vix or short the market etfs. In case this goes south. Volatility has been ridiculous. Starbucks has been good. I believed in that company when they dropped big to the 40s.

I love picking stocks. It is more art than science as Peter Lynch says.

I've had TGT on and off. Two years ago I sold it when they were shitting the bed, then I bought back in right before they had several blowout quarters in a row, and I'm glad I did because I'm still up 36%. I think I sold half my position when I was up 50% so I could buy ADP or AAPL, I can't remember.

I just shorted ROKU.
Mad I didn't buy in the morning. 13% upswing on no news besides market is batshit.

It is just push down and pop up. Roku was upgraded recently so it was headed up anyway. It got smacked down by the market though. It will slow at least. If it drops this much tomorrow I just buy it back.

It's like what I said about Starbucks and others in the past. These fuckers have been punished enough. They will come back. FB and Apple are being punished more than they should too.

Oh, and the news today was the Fed softening its language.

Last edited:
Here is another utility I like. Only 2% dividend.

chart.ashx

American Water Works Company, Inc., through its subsidiaries, provides water and wastewater services in the United States and Canada. It offers water and wastewater services to approximately 1,600 communities in 16 states. The company operates approximately 72 surface water treatment plants; 527 groundwater treatment plants; 8 combined treatment plants; 127 wastewater treatment plants; 50,382 miles of transmission, distribution, and collection mains and pipes; 1,103 groundwater wells; 1,428 water and wastewater pumping stations; 1,313 treated water storage facilities; and 80 dams. It also undertakes contracts with the United States government to provide water and wastewater services on various military bases; and municipal, commercial, and industrial customers, primarily to operate and manage water and wastewater facilities, as well as provide other related services. In addition, the company provides warranty-type services to homeowners and smaller commercial customers to protect against the cost of repairing broken or leaking water pipes or clogged or blocked sewer pipes, interior electric lines, heating and cooling systems, and water heaters, as well as power surge protection and other related services; and water sourcing, transfer services, pipeline construction, and water storage solutions for natural gas exploration and production companies. Further, it supplies water to public fire hydrants for firefighting purposes, and private fire customers for use in fire suppression systems in office buildings and other facilities, as well as to other water utilities and community water systems. The company serves approximately 15 million people with drinking water, wastewater, and other water-related services in 46 states; the District of Columbia; and Ontario, Canada. The company was founded in 1886 and is headquartered in Camden, New Jersey.

61hl40f2U9L._SX425_.jpg

Here is another utility I like. Only 2% dividend.

chart.ashx

American Water Works Company, Inc., through its subsidiaries, provides water and wastewater services in the United States and Canada. It offers water and wastewater services to approximately 1,600 communities in 16 states. The company operates approximately 72 surface water treatment plants; 527 groundwater treatment plants; 8 combined treatment plants; 127 wastewater treatment plants; 50,382 miles of transmission, distribution, and collection mains and pipes; 1,103 groundwater wells; 1,428 water and wastewater pumping stations; 1,313 treated water storage facilities; and 80 dams. It also undertakes contracts with the United States government to provide water and wastewater services on various military bases; and municipal, commercial, and industrial customers, primarily to operate and manage water and wastewater facilities, as well as provide other related services. In addition, the company provides warranty-type services to homeowners and smaller commercial customers to protect against the cost of repairing broken or leaking water pipes or clogged or blocked sewer pipes, interior electric lines, heating and cooling systems, and water heaters, as well as power surge protection and other related services; and water sourcing, transfer services, pipeline construction, and water storage solutions for natural gas exploration and production companies. Further, it supplies water to public fire hydrants for firefighting purposes, and private fire customers for use in fire suppression systems in office buildings and other facilities, as well as to other water utilities and community water systems. The company serves approximately 15 million people with drinking water, wastewater, and other water-related services in 46 states; the District of Columbia; and Ontario, Canada. The company was founded in 1886 and is headquartered in Camden, New Jersey.

61hl40f2U9L._SX425_.jpg

Way too low of a div for a utility, which is why it gets screened out whenever I do any searching. Water is important though.

Way too low of a div for a utility, which is why it gets screened out whenever I do any searching. Water is important though.

I'm not a dividend guy. Buffett's Berkshire B shares don't have a dividend, which surprised me. Buffett was asked about this and said that money is spent better elsewhere than paying out dividends. I largely agree with that. Except for obvious sectors like utilities.

You can go to Buffett's annual festival by owning a single B share. I think you can even bring a few guests. I may buy it for that. Buffett doesn't have many years left. Bill Gates will be there too.

For utilities I decided to go the mutual fund route. It's done better than most for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back