Economy Stock Market chat. Discuss everything from Musk to iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm more / less the same. I don't really have the time more so than patience to monitor the market on a day by day basis to be willing to day trade or actively trade. My goal is to never sell any of my assets, so to me, just getting in at good yields is what I'm after, so I've been buying into this market. I'm content with a ~ 3% spread between my cost to borrow and the dividend yield on my asset purchases, and hoping for share appreciation as gravy. I've hit a pretty solid amount of dividends in 2018, well above the average annual income people have even after my borrowing cost, for what that's worth.

I think there might be some more rough days in the market ahead, that I would continuously buy into to be honest. It's funny that given my objectives, I'm usually happy when prices tank. But really that's a lessen for wider investors... retail investors tend to buy in times of exuberance and sell at times of panic which truly is not a good formula. When you don't need the money, it's much easier to avoid falling into that trap.

I'm good with some downturns. I just reinvest the dividends at a lower cost, which means when it bounces back I'm set.

My goal is 10% total div growth per year, and by that I mean dividend raises overall + dividends yield. For now I'm about 12.3%, and I'm really happy with that. If I can keep the total growth number up, I'm happy because I'm only 37 and will have this for awhile.

Buyupside.com has a div reinvestment calculator, which is cool. https://www.buyupside.com/calculators/dividendreinvestmentdec07.htm Based on that calculator, if I leave my current investments alone, with my current yield and growth, and assume only 5% share price growth per year, I'll have $3.2M in 30 years. Of course, there's variables affecting that over time, but that's if I don't add any more funds, which is pretty cool. I just buy high quality dividend growers and let them ride.

My sneaky way around backdoor Roth conversions will probably be happening shortly. Basically if you have any self employment income, and declare it (even $100!), you can open an individual/self 401k and do an in-kind transfer from a traditional IRA to it. This allows you to avoid the pro rata conversion rule and all crazy taxes around it. The goal is to have only Roth funds in any IRA, because 401k/403b/457/etc don't count.

Only necessary if you're married and making over $203k/year combined or $137k filing individual.

I'm good with some downturns. I just reinvest the dividends at a lower cost, which means when it bounces back I'm set.

My goal is 10% total div growth per year, and by that I mean dividend raises overall + dividends yield. For now I'm about 12.3%, and I'm really happy with that. If I can keep the total growth number up, I'm happy because I'm only 37 and will have this for awhile.

Buyupside.com has a div reinvestment calculator, which is cool. https://www.buyupside.com/calculators/dividendreinvestmentdec07.htm Based on that calculator, if I leave my current investments alone, with my current yield and growth, and assume only 5% share price growth per year, I'll have $3.2M in 30 years. Of course, there's variables affecting that over time, but that's if I don't add any more funds, which is pretty cool. I just buy high quality dividend growers and let them ride.

What are your thoughts on utilities? I didn't go through your symbols to see if any were in there.

Last two months have been a bloodbath, and I must be down $20K at least.

I currently hold Microsoft and Texas Instrument for my tech portfolio. They're solid picks to whether the storm, but I don't expect any gains for the next 18 months due to threat of recession.

I currently hold Microsoft and Texas Instrument for my tech portfolio. They're solid picks to whether the storm, but I don't expect any gains for the next 18 months due to threat of recession.

What you think of the semiconductor sector market. AMD, Intel, Nvidia etc?

What you think of the semiconductor sector market. AMD, Intel, Nvidia etc?
If you still have spare cash available, hold on to them for the time being. Avoid jumping into semiconductor for now. Trade dispute with China is still a long way from being resolved.

If you still have spare cash available, hold on to them for the time being. Avoid jumping into semiconductor for now. Trade dispute with China is still a long way from being resolved.

They came out with the Kirin model but it's all talk no demonstration yet. Heard big things from AMD, but they are racing for 7nm microprocessors. China is a little bit behind so the tariffs won't do much in the stock from what I have seen other then the dow itself.

I’m long on aapl as I think the fundamentals are still strong. Got murdered today, obviously.
This happens all the time. It got hammered to 93 a few years ago. Apple prints money like none other. This will be a blip in the greater scheme of things.
I'm super long Boeing. It's going to do well for the foreseeable future

I am so, so green.

Haha yeah, the fundamentals are still potentially good. Hopefully the bottom of the economy doesn't fall out. Would love another year with no recession

Jack Dorsey's fintech company Square has taken a hit from the 90s. It is moving today. More updates:

sq.jpg

Funko:

fnko.jpg

roku.jpg

another of my good performers last year. planet fitness.

plnt.jpg

Bausch Health

bhc.jpg

US Oil Fund

uso.jpg

Etsy is another favorite of mine:

etsy.jpg

I got in on SQ yesterday when they announced their new CFO. Cashed up 7%, surprised it popped so much.
Nice one with Roku
PLNT I got in on their earnings last fall but haven't touched it since.

Visa is another stock that is just good to own. How can that company lose? Pretty cheap still.

What are your thoughts on utilities? I didn't go through your symbols to see if any were in there.

I don't currently own any, but they're very good at printing money and paying reliable dividends, albeit with minimal growth. The big 4 people gravitate towards are SO, ED, DUK, and D. The only one worth buying at current price levels is ED because it's P/E is 3.43 currently. Others are too high, like SO's 70+ P/E. I do enjoy the very low betas they offer though, because while I'm a dividend growth investor, I also like to have a low overall beta to try to avoid those wild swings. Div payers/growers + low beta = long term success, IMO. Plus, the current yields on utilities is generally lower than it should be, with even ED's being under 4%. Utilities need to be closer to 5% for me to consider them as a small part of my portfolio.

At this point in my life I prefer other "bond replacements" like T, VZ and O because they at least have the ability to grow, albeit slower than the general market.

Visa is another stock that is just good to own. How can that company lose? Pretty cheap still.

I agree. It dominates the market, and the 2nd place player, MA, is growing very well too. I own both.

V and JNJ are my two biggest holdings at 5.6% and 5.7% of my portfolio, respectively.

This happens all the time. It got hammered to 93 a few years ago. Apple prints money like none other. This will be a blip in the greater scheme of things.
I'm super long Boeing. It's going to do well for the foreseeable future

AAPL's forward P/E is 12. 12!! That's insane. It should be 25, along the likes of MSFT.

I'm long on LMT and will like buy BA this year, like we talked about.

Yeah bud, I'm down $15k as of this morning in just my IRAs.

TI is a good company.

AAPL's forward P/E is 12. 12!! That's insane. It should be 25, along the likes of MSFT.

I'm long on LMT and will like buy BA this year, like we talked about.

I was looking at LMT and Northrop. Both charts basically are identical. Defense seems to move together. Except Boeing because they are involved in civilian shit.

Apple's forward PE is 11. That is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back