"Stipe was never my friend..."

It's funny because I had that very thought about Sylvia before Stipe fought DC. Tim would be a very tough match up for Stipe and it would've been fun as hell to see.

Fun fact: Stipe sparred with Sylvia while training for the Struve fight.

I never saw him as the greatest Heavyweight or even the most dominant. Even if he had the most wins. I predicted DC to beat Stipe and I also think prime Tim Silvia would also beat Stipe.
aside from one fight with aa (really one shot aa lunged into (again)), which performance from Timmay leads you to believe he’d beat stipe?

I was never sold on Stipe, though I didn't talk about it much because doing so while he was on his run would just get you called a casual and an idiot. He's a great fighter in a weak division.

That being said, his accomplishments cannot be denied. I would favor him over every heavyweight that isn't DC (or a rejuvenated, healthy Cain) at the moment.

I agree Sherdog's "what have you done for me lately" mindset when it comes to evaluating fighters is tiresome.
HW has always been a "weak division" on Sherdog, but that is precisely because it is the most dangerous division, and the best fighter does not always win when guys can bang and swing like that. There is no one at flyweight that can hit like Ngannou, and as such, the most skilled fighter always generally wins and that is why MM is on his 100th defense and Stipe was lucky to even get 3. If Fedor had fought in the modern UFC, no way he would have went on a decade tear. It is just too difficult to put runs together when guys hit that hard.

It's not everyone TS.

You have to understand that the haters are just the louder & more obnoxious minority of the bunch. Anytime someone is prime for abuse, they jump on them like rabbid dogs & strip them down to nothing.

Real fans however pop into threads like this once or twice & then split while the minority of the haters will post probably 15 or 20 times in a thread if their hater circle jerk crew is feeding the frenzy with them.

Personally, I've been on team Stipe since well before he was in title contention & there's no love lost for getting KO'ed in the HW division. It happenz. There's a reason Stipe's 3 title defenses is a record. Everyone gets caught eventually if they're constantly fighting the best in the world.

The fact still remains though that Stipe holds the record for title defenses & that can't be taken away by even the craftiest troll.

If there one thing I’ve learned over the years it’s that Sherdog’s UFC forum is fucking retarded.
I'll back up that statement. MMA fans aren't a smart bunch, that's for sure.

I was always baffled by the idiots here who said he would beat Fedor.

Prime fedor beats Stipe and DC.

Stipe is a very game contender, he has shown to have a vulnerable chin in the past, and his style of fighting long has definitely been key to his path to success as he has the quicker hands and better boxing than most of his opponents.

Got finished by Struve, dropped by Overeem's quick left cross (with not much behind it, Overeem was kind of surprised too), and lastly took a devastating shot from DC he never saw coming.

Stipe is very good. Problem is the UFC hype machine and the idiots who believe every overhyped fighter they promote as the new GOAT.

I can't take any more GOAT arguments seriously on Sherdog, anymore.

Miocic went from GOAT to can in one fight, what the hell?

He was just the greatest Heavyweight Champion the UFC has ever seen and then he gets cracked by Cormier and Sherdog says...."Stipe was never my friend."

Some had him beating a prime Fedor and now people barely have him beating Demetrious Johnson.

One bad fight doesn't make the man, he is still at the top of the heap but a bad day at the office and you get Sherdogged...
He was never the GOAT. He was never one of the best ever. Never. Ever.

Those of us who knew this just weren't as loud as everyone saying it. Now they are quiet, so you can hear us.

Stipe is really good. He's not legend. He's just good.

Welcome to the internet... where even the casual has his opinion heard.

I can't take any more GOAT arguments seriously on Sherdog, anymore.

Miocic went from GOAT to can in one fight, what the hell?

He was just the greatest Heavyweight Champion the UFC has ever seen and then he gets cracked by Cormier and Sherdog says...."Stipe was never my friend."

Some had him beating a prime Fedor and now people barely have him beating Demetrious Johnson.

One bad fight doesn't make the man, he is still at the top of the heap but a bad day at the office and you get Sherdogged...

Nope. Even before he lost to DC, all polls conducted on Sherdog indicated that the majority felt Fedor was the GOAT.

No one said he was a can either. Just the truth that he was a good fighter that benefited from a shallow and aging division.

Quit with this revisionist BS.

Losing to DC hasn't changed my opinion of his in cage abilities. Not much of a fan at all but it's certainly not like now I won't watch him fight.

Nope. Even before he lost to DC, all polls conducted on Sherdog indicated that the majority felt Fedor was the GOAT.

No one said he was a can either. Just the truth that he was a good fighter that benefited from a shallow and aging division.

Quit with this revisionist BS.
Did you see the boards after the fight?

Stipe is very good. Problem is the UFC hype machine and the idiots who believe every overhyped fighter they promote as the new GOAT.
This is probably the most evident. Ngannou went from the "new breed" to "what the hell was that crap" in no time but the UFC hype machine had everyone talking about him being the next goat.

I was always baffled by the idiots here who said he would beat Fedor.

Prime fedor beats Stipe and DC.

Stipe is a very game contender, he has shown to have a vulnerable chin in the past, and his style of fighting long has definitely been key to his path to success as he has the quicker hands and better boxing than most of his opponents.

Got finished by Struve, dropped by Overeem's quick left cross (with not much behind it, Overeem was kind of surprised too), and lastly took a devastating shot from DC he never saw coming.
I agree but in that division, what HW isn't vulnerable to a clean shot?

This place and what seems to be a lot of the MMA community in general can be real garbage a lot of the time. Even the MMA media is getting behind hype trains and going along with jokes you see here. Pretty trash. I feel like communities like this have too much sway in what the popular notions are but a lot of it are people trolling. The internet has ruined MMA

Back