Stefan Struve is just terrible

I don't think there has ever been a fighter (certainly not a high profile one) worse at using their reach.

He's too tall for his own good. Very few people his height are athletically gifted, and if they are, they're in the NBA. He's like a baby giraffe. It'd be nearly impossible for this guy to sharpen up his movement, he's just too damn tall.

I think Semmy Schilt in his prime would destroy Struve and is more accomplished.

I was a little disappointed in Struve. Couldn't even take out that zombie formally known as minatauro. The footwork wasn't there and his striking didn't impress.

I think he's still improving, just at an agonizingly slow rate.

Struve is a unique case where we all like him as a person and a fighter, but also agree that he could be more entertaining with more pot-shotting from the outside and less brawling.

He is as he's always been

-great groundgame
-unathletic and slow
-gets caught up brawling or with his back on the fence

When picking a struve fight, just ask "can he get it to the ground and/or win in a brawl?" And then you know if he'll win

Struve is just fine.

Hes a young kid wo's neary 7ft tall.

He's got obstacles to overcome, but hes solid.

Hunt broke him mentally.
Remember he was on a sick run up to hunt including a knock out win over Stipe who took junior's best!

Since then he's been utterly broke mentally.
Hunt pretty much knocked his jaw and teeth into oblivion

Big Nog was literally in zombie mode and was still landing consistently on Struve.

Was kind off funny hearing the coaches in his corner though.
"Use your reach!"
Yeah...wonder how many times he's heard that one

Someone get Struve to a better gym that will teach him how to use his reach and jab, geez.

Reweatching his fight with Mino and I can't believe this guy is a "pro." All he can do is pick on older shorter men than him. I mean who the bleep is this guy's boxing coach? "Stefan I want you to stand there with no movement and eat a couple big shots to the face before you pathetically clinch with him. Throw a jab on the break every once in a while."
He doesn't do anything!!! He doesn't circle, he doesn't dodge, his head movement is to just stare at the ground, he doesn't throw anything with any sort of snap to it, his leg kicks are slow/broadcasted which is why he always eats so many counters. In the clinch he should dominate with such height but instead lays there as the guy hugs his chest. GET A REAL COACH STEFAN

While I agree Stefan needs to cut ties with the idiot blackzillions, He was dehydrated from loosing so much fluid from being sick. Alot of fighters would have pulled out at least he fought.

Put 'em in the ring against 8' ft'ers. THAT'll teach him how to use his reach!

Reweatching his fight with Mino and I can't believe this guy is a "pro." All he can do is pick on older shorter men than him. I mean who the bleep is this guy's boxing coach? "Stefan I want you to stand there with no movement and eat a couple big shots to the face before you pathetically clinch with him. Throw a jab on the break every once in a while."
He doesn't do anything!!! He doesn't circle, he doesn't dodge, his head movement is to just stare at the ground, he doesn't throw anything with any sort of snap to it, his leg kicks are slow/broadcasted which is why he always eats so many counters. In the clinch he should dominate with such height but instead lays there as the guy hugs his chest. GET A REAL COACH STEFAN

This is too harsh.

There are a few things to consider.

First off, yes, he takes waaaay too much damage and doesn't utilize height enough.
Two, he is now cutting weight to make HW. The guys hasn't even grown into his actual weight class which is SHW.

Three, in order to use a jab to keep opponents away you need to be strong. I hate to tell you this but if there's two guys of equal to or close weight, the shorter one will be stronger. It's mechanics. And its very difficult to keep a guys forward momentum away with an arm. Struve has KO power but he isn't strong enough yet to keep someone@bay with one arm for an entire bout. Men hit their peak 27-33.

Lastly, Struve is solid mid-tier and almost always competitive. Nog is a zombie. Struve has not hit his peak physicality and is still competitive in the UFC. This was like his third loser leaves bout. Unfortunately, at his young age he's already taken over 20 bouts. That is a lot. I think his youth helped absorb all this punishment.

And he has improved. Watch his amateur bouts he absorbs so much punishment to pull guard it is RIDICULOUS.

He's trying to utilize reach but simple hasn't developed his power.

My advise for Struve and UFC is
  1. SLOW down his fight schedule
  2. Give him half year till his next fight then give him a fight every 6 mo-1year
  3. Keep him going@slow pace with very few fight until a few years from now when he grow into his body
  4. He WILL be a beast@30

Are there any other somewhat experienced HW fighters who are under 30 y/o besides Duffee and Struve? The division is on its last legs.

Back