Starting from standup in BJJ practice?

New guy here. I have several years of wrestling experience, and about a year of Judo.

I have been taking a BJJ class, and I am struck by the fact that our Randori always begins on our knees. In a month, we have begun from standup once. Besides everyone wanting to just pull guard, I found it unusual.

Your thoughts?

BJJ is ground fighting and you find it weird that they begin on your knees.

Oh Ok!

starting from your knees is stupid and doesn't simulate anything.

I don't know how many people, or how much space you have at your gym, but starting from stand up can be extremely dangerous when you have a bunch of people rolling at the same time...whether or not you are "aware".

In BJJ you usually cover about 10 feet in order to take somebody down, multiply this by all the people in your class and see if it is still a safe option. If it is, you must have a big ass gym or very few members.

yeah so start in guard, or one person on their butt, just like you see in lots of grappling comps. Wrestling from knees is stupid and can also be dangerous for the getting peoples knees twisted.

b'c if ur doing throws every time u practice 4x a week then ur bound to get injured faster. u only have 1 body.

try 5 days a week rugby training.

the key is knowing how to fall to prevent injury

Actually yea...they don't have you begin on your knees in a tourney, do they?

When you start on your knees in BJJ training, you are not supposed to be wrestling on your knees.

Usually and commone sense woud be one person play guard and one plays top.

Now back to BJJ competition, you can play guard from the start as long as you grab one sleeve.

So yes, in BJJ competition, you can legally begin on your knees or ass.

Most of a jiu jitsu match takes place on the floor. The standup is usually just a formality in jiu jitsu.

?

in comp a td is 2 points.

in real life you have to take the fight to the ground.

how is standup a formality?

I would never train at a place that does not train takedowns.

When you start on your knees in BJJ training, you are not supposed to be wrestling on your knees.

Usually and commone sense woud be one person play guard and one plays top.

lol so whats the point then? if one person immediately plays guard, then why not just start in guard or any other position you feel like starting in.

?

in comp a td is 2 points.

in real life you have to take the fight to the ground.

how is standup a formality?

I would never train at a place that does not train takedowns.

Why try to argue when he is pointing out to the obvious.

In BJJ competition, you can pull guard without getting penalize (i.e losing points) as it is considered a neutral position.

Some clubs do train standup and some do not train stand up.

Buyers beware.

lol so whats the point then? if one person immediately plays guard, then why not just start in guard or any other position you feel like starting in.

exactly! they already that as well. You can pull guard without getting penalized.

Often, you can just see both opponents pulling guard at the same time.

Why try to argue when he is pointing out to the obvious.

In BJJ competition, you can pull guard without getting penalize (i.e losing points) as it is considered a neutral position.

Some clubs do train standup and some do not train stand up.

Buyers beware.

if you pull guard your opponent gets and advantage and thus are down on scorecards. if you pull guard while your opponent has a grip on your pants it's considered a takedown and your opponent is given two points.

if you pull guard your opponent gets and advantage and thus are down on scorecards. if you pull guard while your opponent has a grip on your pants it's considered a takedown and your opponent is given two points.

I am getting mixed responses about this advantage rule.

Is it written on the rules of the IBJJF?

exactly! they already that as well. You can pull guard without getting penalized.

Often, you can just see both opponents pulling guard at the same time.

I was talking about in training when both people start from their knees, is quite stupid. If one person immediately pulls guard then why not just start in guard. You say that people aren't supposed to wrestle from their knees but lots of people actually try to, and if they don't wrestle and just pull guard then starting from your knees is completely pointless.

My BJJ school just moved to a new, much bigger location and as a direct result of the increased mat space our instructor is putting much more emphasis on takedowns. I'm very happy about it.

I was talking about in training when both people start from their knees, is quite stupid. If one person immediately pulls guard then why not just start in guard. You say that people aren't supposed to wrestle from their knees but lots of people actually try to, and if they don't wrestle and just pull guard then starting from your knees is completely pointless.

no midget wrestling!

you always will see one guy just sitting back and playing and the other guy playing top.

BJJ is about using the guard: no midget wrestling.

OK this is how my coach explained to me why we never did much stand up.
"The take down is such a small part of the jiu jitsu game. It is important but it is more important I teach you the other things. We worry about take downs closer to tournaments."

At our school we start in guard, on knees, and sometimes specific training. There are far too many people to start on our feet. There is open mat 6 days a week, less people, much easier to start standing up. My coaches will show takedowns, but more towards tournaments or during open mat.

I am getting mixed responses about this advantage rule.

Is it written on the rules of the IBJJF?

Yes. Btw there are different reasons for pulling guard; Mario speedy pulled guard on roletta and Mario had done judo for almost 10 years. Jacare pulled guard on Marcelo; do u think that Jacare was afraid of marcelos takedowns?

As in all things in Bjj, don't try to look to the reef for help. If your opponent pulls guard it's because you couldn't take him down before he pulled guard.

My school we start on the feet for EVERY roll. We also begin each class with 5 minutes of takedown drilling. If I see someone pulling guard and not going for a takedown I will start them back up on their feet.

Yes. Btw there are different reasons for pulling guard; Mario speedy pulled guard on roletta and Mario had done judo for almost 10 years. Jacare pulled guard on Marcelo; do u think that Jacare was afraid of marcelos takedowns?

As in all things in Bjj, don't try to look to the reef for help. If your opponent pulls guard it's because you couldn't take him down before he pulled guard.

Sorry can't find it on the rules?

can you please just cut and past the relevant paragraph?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back