Starting from standup in BJJ practice?

DoubleUp

White Belt
Reaction score
New guy here. I have several years of wrestling experience, and about a year of Judo.

I have been taking a BJJ class, and I am struck by the fact that our Randori always begins on our knees. In a month, we have begun from standup once. Besides everyone wanting to just pull guard, I found it unusual.

Your thoughts?

I absolutely hate it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Usually i will ask to start standing and my parnter will get a look of terror in his eyes and i will suggest that we start from standing and then one of us at least go thru the motions of a takedown or throw and the other guy not give to much resistance.........you know, just to remind the muscles what those moves are like.

I can understand it if the mat space is packed and whatnot, but really i just feel its very bad practice and something that BJJ gets wrong.

Standup is way better, If you decide to do tournaments most of them are from standing so its a good idea to practice that instead of going to your knees to start your roll.

You know, I have been in packed Judo dojos and we always found space. You have to just be aware.

I absolutely hate it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Usually i will ask to start standing and my parnter will get a look of terror in his eyes and i will suggest that we start from standing and then one of us at least go thru the motions of a takedown or throw and the other guy not give to much resistance.........you know, just to remind the muscles what those moves are like.

I can understand it if the mat space is packed and whatnot, but really i just feel its very bad practice and something that BJJ gets wrong.

That was me the first few weeks :D

This is what my instructor said although during the free rolling generally most people start on the ground due to lack of space (he teaches what is called a BJJ class but with Judo throws in it to get it on the ground):
Judo is the means to get the fight to the ground and if you need to you can finish from where you end up. BJJ is the art of finishing on the ground if you are the one that gets thrown. Both are needed to be a complete grappler and throw in some wrestling and you will be ace

It's going to be real hard to convince your opponent to start from their knees in a real fight:icon_chee

You know, I have been in packed Judo dojos and we always found space. You have to just be aware.

The difference in in Judo you are often getting right back up after the throw. The real danger IMO is not other guys working throws, but guys working throws right next to you when you are already on the ground.

I now at my old gym the problem was with space.

b'c if ur doing throws every time u practice 4x a week then ur bound to get injured faster. u only have 1 body.

The difference in in Judo you are often getting right back up after the throw. The real danger IMO is not other guys working throws, but guys working throws right next to you when you are already on the ground.

This, you either do tachiwaza, newaza or special drills.

Full randori usually has 1 or 2 pairs and everyone is sitting making space.

b'c if ur doing throws every time u practice 4x a week then ur bound to get injured faster. u only have 1 body.

Proper breakfalling is a must. I did Judo 6 sometimes 8x a week. Sure I hurt but the amount of time that I missed practice due to injury in 4 years wasn't that much considering the amount of falls we took.

My gym we start from the knees every class. We have only done takedown drills about 3 times in the 10 months I've been training there. After the first class that we drilled TDs I went up to my instructor and told him how awesome and how much fun it was. Now when I train I usually let the other guy pull guard, or I just fake single legs until we get into a scramble and end up both on our feet. My gym just added a wrestling only class about 3 weeks ago though so I will be taking that every so often to help my overall game.

This, you either do tachiwaza, newaza or special drills.

Full randori usually has 1 or 2 pairs and everyone is sitting making space.

OK...well, it could have been space.

However, we never had Randori where people circle up and watch a couple of folks spar.

Least to say I was disappointed, but I have learned quit a bit about BJJ rolling.

So I guess all us wrestling and Judo practicioners are screwed. I wrestle 5x a week, and starting standing isn't injuring me.

I absolutely hate it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

haha good stuff TF. Its sometimes even better in a way when the mat is packed(with vets) cuz then you both game around your surroundings and incredible as it seems, you can score just as much if not better as well. Fir instance, I never use ogoshi(major basic hip throw) in a wide open match but do use it often in uchikomi for warm-ups and there, in packed mats, is will you will hafta pull it and you would actually score with it.

Just saying that packed mats can sometimes force you to do some stuff that you both would be too defensive minded/stanced to do in more open space...as well as paying more attention to your surroundings/creating more peripheral vision, that kind of stuff..lol Pure open space randori only is like fighting in stand without a gi...you have already set your human limits.

Just 'judo talk'lol.

I have noticed that too

I know I am just a white belt and thus should want to work on my fundamentals, but everyone's takedown game sucks.

I wrestled for a few years, and really feel that is suffers. Particularly cause I always can get the single leg and land right in side control. I had a good single leg in high school, but i have not wrestled for three years! You think someone would be able to stop me

So I guess all us wrestling and Judo practicioners are screwed. I wrestle 5x a week, and starting standing isn't injuring me.

One of the big problems I have with what i have learned so far is they have not really taught my class about how to fall. When I began wrestling my coach would drill how to fall at the beginning of the year, and if anyone seemed to have trouble falling correctly he would spend extra time with them

Haven't really dealt with that at all in my BJJ classes. I think that could be the big reason, you can chuck me around and it won't hurt me at all, for most people it seems like they are being ragdolled

It sucks. Standup should be a regular part of training, I try to do it whenever I can, but my takedowns still suck.

I have noticed that too

I know I am just a white belt and thus should want to work on my fundamentals, but everyone's takedown game sucks.

I wrestled for a few years, and really feel that is suffers. Particularly cause I always can get the single leg and land right in side control. I had a good single leg in high school, but i have not wrestled for three years! You think someone would be able to stop me

I pulled a sweet firemans today from my knees....least to say, that guy was surprised...they just do not focus on takedowns, or even semi-takedowns from the knees.

Back