Starting from standup in BJJ practice?

One of the big problems I have with what i have learned so far is they have not really taught my class about how to fall.

Seriously? Fuck, my entire first intro lesson which was basically one instructor and two of us beginners/first day people ALL we COVERED for about an hour was how to fall. Then we learned about how to control someone in our guard for about 30 minutes and that was it. In our second intro lesson we covered how to fall for 30 minutes including how to fall to either side too and how to sprawl properly. After that it was an hour of how to do an armbar, triangle, or even if you wanted to try a gogoplata from guard and an armbar from mount.

I can't see how you can get away without teaching someone how to fall. People get hurt by doing that.

I pulled a sweet firemans today from my knees....least to say, that guy was surprised...they just do not focus on takedowns, or even semi-takedowns from the knees.

Yep, I know in BJJ that having an opponent in your guard is considered better than being in your opponents guard, but Jesus Christ there are so many takedowns that can get away from that.

Firemen's carry and Single leg takedowns are just one of many

Most of a jiu jitsu match takes place on the floor. The standup is usually just a formality in jiu jitsu.

Yep, I know in BJJ that having an opponent in your guard is considered better than being in your opponents guard, but Jesus Christ there are so many takedowns that can get away from that.

Firemen's carry and Single leg takedowns are just one of many

I wouldn't say that bottom guard is better than top guard. It's a personal preference, and a lot of guys (myself included) prefer top guard.

Seriously? Fuck, my entire first intro lesson which was basically one instructor and two of us beginners/first day people ALL we COVERED for about an hour was how to fall. Then we learned about how to control someone in our guard for about 30 minutes and that was it. In our second intro lesson we covered how to fall for 30 minutes including how to fall to either side too and how to sprawl properly. After that it was an hour of how to do an armbar, triangle, or even if you wanted to try a gogoplata from guard and an armbar from mount.

I can't see how you can get away without teaching someone how to fall. People get hurt by doing that.

No they did spend a good amount of time the first day teaching us. My point is it is only really drilled once, and the best way to learn how to fall is really have people take you down constantly. Just because you 'know' how to fall doesn't mean you are that do it instinctively. If we drilled wrestling, or even falling a couple times per month it would not be bad, but everyone seems to be so scared of getting hurt on the takedown they focus more on falling than actually defending

It is just my opinion as a wrestler though, I have been having trouble adopting the abandoning the wrestling mindset and adapting the BJJ though so take as it is

I wouldn't say that bottom guard is better than top guard. It's a personal preference, and a lot of guys (myself included) prefer top guard.

Maybe it is just because we are working on the fundamentals of the guard that it seems that way to me then, I am a whitebelt after all, but I prefer top guard also. As I said in my last post, I have trouble kicking the wrestling mindset, I have passed guard and instinctively gone for the half nelson about a dozen times now

Starting on the knees simulates standup, but takes away the impact.

No they did spend a good amount of time the first day teaching us. My point is it is only really drilled once, and the best way to learn how to fall is really have people take you down constantly. Just because you 'know' how to fall doesn't mean you are that do it instinctively. If we drilled wrestling, or even falling a couple times per month it would not be bad, but everyone seems to be so scared of getting hurt on the takedown they focus more on falling than actually defending

It is just my opinion as a wrestler though, I have been having trouble adopting the abandoning the wrestling mindset and adapting the BJJ though so take as it is

Alright, sorry about freaking out.

But at the place I go to part of the warm ups is you walk down the length of the mat doing about 3 or 4 right side, 3 or 4 left side, and 3 or 4 regular breakfalls to remember how to do it properly.

IDK, maybe I just lucked out with the place I went to.

OK...well, it could have been space.

However, we never had Randori where people circle up and watch a couple of folks spar.

Least to say I was disappointed, but I have learned quit a bit about BJJ rolling.

Well, full randori is rare and usually done near competitions, maybe you have trained in big gyms, but i have been in gyms when we have to make room even to practice newaza, let alone tachi or full.

Starting on the knees simulates standup, but takes away the impact.

I would have disagree with you. I have been able to pull a couple of scissor sweeps and all...but it is just not the same.

Most guys just lay on their backs. I will admit though...I did focus solely on guard passing the first two weeks.

Alright, sorry about freaking out.

But at the place I go to part of the warm ups is you walk down the length of the mat doing about 3 or 4 right side, 3 or 4 left side, and 3 or 4 regular breakfalls to remember how to do it properly.

IDK, maybe I just lucked out with the place I went to.

We do these too...which is what I find even more odd!

If you don't know how to take someone down, then you don't know how to grapple. I'm also getting the jitters because we never seem to start there.

I know where I go our mat space is very restricted for the amount of people we have (we get taught Kata Guruma once in awhile and I ran head first trying to do it to someone into the wall mirrors we have) and because of this during the free rolling session many people start on their knees due to safety things though we have two judo instructors in our BJJ class that everyone keeps their distance from because they insist on starting it standing to help teach everyone about it.

Do the rolling to the side thing, but it's still really different than having someone pick you up in a double leg and slam you into the mat. Or from performing a hip toss or something like that. I have got the feeling of the couple times we did standing people were afraid to get taken down, and really the only way you get used to being taken down is being taken down. That is what I am trying to say

Do the rolling to the side thing, but it's still really different than having someone pick you up in a double leg and slam you into the mat. Or from performing a hip toss or something like that. I have got the feeling of the couple times we did standing people were afraid to get taken down, and really the only way you get used to being taken down is being taken down. That is what I am trying to say

Any hip based toss worth it's salt has some impact...but it is not that bad. A double leg though? I guess my wrestling background would dictate something more smooth...I never really slammed fellas with doubles.

Any hip based toss worth it's salt has some impact...but it is not that bad. A double leg though? I guess my wrestling background would dictate something more smooth...I never really slammed fellas with doubles.

Well in wrestling I was always more of a defensive wrestlers, and the only times someone could take me down was when they literally managed to lift me and slam me into the mat. So generally that is my experience with double legs, but I agree they are not really that bad

People just think they are bad, and thus are afraid to do it. That is why I think the stand up part is kinda neglected

We start standing enough to keep people aware of it, but we don't train standing very often in the BJJ class itself.

There is a judo class and a wrestling class to work take downs if you really want to, and there we always start from the feet.

once my gym started almost all rolling from the feet I think my overall grappling level improved significantly

Back