Starting from standup in BJJ practice?

Bro I have kept score in the mundials/pan ams/nationals for the ibjjf.

OK this is how my coach explained to me why we never did much stand up.
"The take down is such a small part of the jiu jitsu game. It is important but it is more important I teach you the other things. We worry about take downs closer to tournaments."

At our school we start in guard, on knees, and sometimes specific training. There are far too many people to start on our feet. There is open mat 6 days a week, less people, much easier to start standing up. My coaches will show takedowns, but more towards tournaments or during open mat.

The problem with this is that you can't learn a takedown close to a competition and be expected to execute it properly. There are sooo many variations in what you will see the defensive player do in response to your takedown that you can't possibly teach with some reps before a competition. You have to train them all the time.

All competitors at our academy are encouraged to attend the wrestling class every week and we have open mats on the weekends where students will often work on their standup. Judo and wrestling techniques are covered in the regular BJJ yearly curriculum the same way that guard or mount is covered. We drill takedowns with no, little, or full resistance semi-regularly. That said, we start most regular sparring sessions from the ground unless big competitions are coming up. This is to prevent injury and save space and because although we believe stand-up training is imperative, we want the students to spend more time on the ground than standing - as is the norm in most matches.

I did not say that, I just don't feel like reading the rules on my iphone

The problem with this is that you can't learn a takedown close to a competition and be expected to execute it properly. There are sooo many variations in what you will see the defensive player do in response to your takedown that you can't possibly teach with some reps before a competition. You have to train them all the time.

All competitors at our academy are encouraged to attend the wrestling class every week and we have open mats on the weekends where students will often work on their standup. Judo and wrestling techniques are covered in the regular BJJ yearly curriculum the same way that guard or mount is covered. We drill takedowns with no, little, or full resistance semi-regularly. That said, we start most regular sparring sessions from the ground unless big competitions are coming up. This is to prevent injury and save space and because although we believe stand-up training is imperative, we want the students to spend more time on the ground than standing - as is the norm in most matches.

lol how often do takedowns actually happen in competition? come on most people jump guard or try to. I love to do takedowns, and i'll show anyone who asks me. not only that i didn't mean days i said closer to a competition. like a month out, we start doing takedowns not only that we have wrestling class, plenty of people go to it. but in our bjj class, the class is focused on the ground, because bjj is a ground fight.

Like I said they want to practice td's we have open mat, 6 days a week. everyone starts how they want, a lot of people start standing. ta da!

I don't know how many people, or how much space you have at your gym, but starting from stand up can be extremely dangerous when you have a bunch of people rolling at the same time...whether or not you are "aware".

In BJJ you usually cover about 10 feet in order to take somebody down, multiply this by all the people in your class and see if it is still a safe option. If it is, you must have a big ass gym or very few members.

If you have to move 10 feet to take someone down, you're not doing it properly.

it falls under this catagory

Advantages will be awarded during standing fights or on the ground if
the athlete attempts a technique with more aggressiveness and
initiative, trying takedowns , other finalizing moves during the fight. Or
showing that he dominate the fight most of the time by putting the
opponent on the defensive

the guard itself isn't the issue, the issue is that you're put on the defensive while stand up fighting thus chose to pull guard.

it falls under this catagory

the guard itself isn't the issue, the issue is that you're put on the defensive while stand up fighting thus chose to pull guard.

Thanks.

I have been trying to look for the rule as well but it seems to be more of an interpretation.

most bjj rules are interpretations. The only things that are clearly stated are the banned techniques most of the time. It has to be when bjj is about the least ammount of interfernce as possible from the reff.

Makes sense to me in situations where you don't have room or there's a visiting student/you're visiting but I disagree on people doing it on a normal basis.

In our BJJ class we always start from the knees as it is supposed to help prevent injuries. But in our MMA class once a week we do a ton of work on takedowns. (We're completely no-gi). Pretty much anyone who competes in a tourney goes to the MMA class regularly so our takedowns are actually pretty good. But I can't imagine going into a comp with little takedown experience.

Starting from the knees is dumb and a waste of time IMO. We always start from a position, guard, half guard, side control...

I like starting from the feet... but I am glad we start on the mat. The issue for me is TIME. You can spend the full roll just trying to get a takedown, and not really get any work in at all. Since I only get 4 or 5 rounds in at most, I really don't want to spend the time dancing around for a takedown. I like doing it though with the understanding that if someone doesn't get the takedown in teh first 10-20 seconds, someone will pull guard.

Like many others have said we typically start from the knees, but I do really enjoy starting from the feet. There is so much crap that can be done and it really is a good time once you get used to it.

Back