Starting Deadlifts this week

I use a double overhand until my grip fails. then I'll switch to a mixed grip. Its personal preference really, but an alternating (mixed) grip will be your strongest.

Urban said:
I use a double overhand until my grip fails. then I'll switch to a mixed grip. Its personal preference really, but an alternating (mixed) grip will be your strongest.

I've read that you do a lot of grip training. So I am curious as to whether your double overhand grip can handle more weight than you can deadlift.

For me my grip is stronger than my deadlift (but my deadlift is nothing special). I never use a mixed grip, It feels unnatural to me, and I try to work out my body as evenly as possible.

fat_wilhelm said:
Start light. As you know, form is critical w/ deadlifts. You're better off doing absolutely perfect deadlifts w/ a lesser weight than you potentially could handle for a while, so that the movement becomes ingrained.
BINGO, Don't let your ego become a factor. Go lite until you nail the form down and you are comfortable. Ask others (Please make sure they know what they are doing, not just some dorky weak gym rat who likes to run his mouth) and let them give you pointers. Also, don't look down throughout your lift but rather, try to look straight ahead. Good luck!

Back