Starting Deadlifts this week

cosism

Custom User Title
@Green
Reaction score
I have been working my lower back w/ stifflegs(w/DBs), Good Mornings and Reverse Hypers to build my lower back for the past 4 months. I now believe I am ready for Dealifts. I have read all the stickies, as well as searching my ass off, as I do NOT want to injure myself. Is there some rock solid advice I can hear from you guys? I will appreciate it greatly.

Start light. As you know, form is critical w/ deadlifts. You're better off doing absolutely perfect deadlifts w/ a lesser weight than you potentially could handle for a while, so that the movement becomes ingrained.

make sure you dont look down throughout the lift, itll keep your back from rounding

I'll give you advice when I hit 405 and my opinion starts mattering.

HULKAMANIA said:

that's the spirit. :cool:

Classic.

I'd say 495 should be the cutoff though. :D

I am actually all for upping it to five plates.

It's not in effect yet, but I'll certainly consider it in the solemn days and nights to come.

CarnalSalvation said:

It's not in effect yet, but I'll certainly consider it in the solemn days and nights to come.
What about a three plate clean? I haven't got a chance of pulling 5 plates without some fairly serious training and I wouldn't want to shut up just yet.

Well, i never pulled 405 but as german formnazi i tell you: "Concentrate on the hipmovement!"

CarnalSalvation said:

I should pull five plates this friday.

To the thread starter: DL'ing hurts your back, so don't do it.

What helps me is to inhale as much air as you can before you lift, and hold it in on the way up for as long as you can, without passing out, like a pneumatic press in your gut. I forgot where I read this, but really helps me alot.

CarnalSalvation said:

Well, then, please disregard my original response until further notice, cosism. It seems I may have a ways to go. Dammit.

You guys SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!

I'm sticking to the old school rule. When I hit 405, I will begin acting as if my opinion on DL's matter. If you want to fight about it just take into the account that I have huge guns and can bodyslam Andre the Giant. Thanks.

i have a question of these DL's i read that you keep your shoulders behind the bar, how is that possible exactly? And also when you do DL's should you feel nothing in your back, casue i do, its not a painfull feeling, but not pleasant either, but that only last for like 20 seconds and it back to normal so i figured it was like any other muscle.

If you doing Deads for Reps, say 5 reps. Squat down, keep tight, stand up, go back down, then LET GO off the bar, stand up,,then repeat. If you hang onto the bar through the whole rep sceme,...not good for you back.

Look up at the ceiling and make sure you take a deeap breath before you pull. Then just good form and a medium amount of weight like everyone else said.

Back