Starting Deadlifts this week

TheNerdKing said:
Classic.

I'd say 495 should be the cutoff though. :D

TheNerdKing:

5ft 10in 240lbs.

should be too easy for a big guy like yourself. How about 3x bw?

As long as you dl 720, then you can be an expert.

Fedorable said:
TheNerdKing:

5ft 10in 240lbs.

should be too easy for a big guy like yourself. How about 3x bw?

As long as you dl 720, then you can be an expert.

Haha, classic.

Awesome help guys, thanks. I will start out light first.
A few pointers that stuck out,
Inhale through belly
Keep shoulders behind the bar
Round shoulders/arch lower back
Do not tense shoulder blades
Look up
Pull back, not up
Do not try to squat or stiffleg the weight
Thanks guys. I have realized all the benching and squats are useless without having DLs in the routine. I will try my best and WILL become stronger. Wish me luck.

CarnalSalvation said:
I am actually all for upping it to five plates.

It's not in effect yet, but I'll certainly consider it in the solemn days and nights to come.

for me at least, pulling 4 plates was not that big of an accomplishment. After spending a month or so getting my form down, it only took a few months of steady progress to hit 405. Since then my progress has been more gradual, and I still don't think I know that much about lifting. I'm in favor of this motion, as it keeps insolent gnubs like me from feeling like we know something

morganfreeman said:
for me at least, pulling 4 plates was not that big of an accomplishment. After spending a month or so getting my form down, it only took a few months of steady progress to hit 405. Since then my progress has been more gradual, and I still don't think I know that much about lifting. I'm in favor of this motion, as it keeps insolent gnubs like me from feeling like we know something

I agree man. I pulled 315 easy my first time and 405 came fast. I'm really hoping to pull 5 plates soon.

Set standard=Absolute bullshit.

Not everyone is the same.

Haha guys I don't think you get it. It's always been a tongue in cheek rule. Are we seriously debating this?

no shit hulk, how hard is this to understand. Look the conversation goes like this:
Some rookie says, "blah blah blah, my method is the best"
and somebody says, "what are your numbers"
then he says, "well I kinda suck at LIFTING weights, really." or some such nonsense
and then anyone can reply "SHUT THE FUCK UP! You can't deadlift 405, come back when you grow some testicles"

It's not a rule... it's like the pirate code: guidelines mostly.

HULKAMANIA said:
Haha guys I don't think you get it. It's always been a tongue in cheek rule. Are we seriously debating this?

no, we are joking around, but you can use it to your favor if you know the code.

If no one in this thread was trying to make a serious point, my sarcasm meter is seriously busted.

Duncon76 said:
If you doing Deads for Reps, say 5 reps. Squat down, keep tight, stand up, go back down, then LET GO off the bar, stand up,,then repeat. If you hang onto the bar through the whole rep sceme,...not good for you back.

Please explain. Hang on to the bar?

HULKAMANIA said:
If no one in this thread was trying to make a serious point, my sarcasm meter is seriously busted.

*picks up and shakes Hulk's sarcasm meter*

Try it now.

Sherddog said:
Please explain. Hang on to the bar?

Maybe my sarcasm meter is broken too, but since you seem new here:
Hanging on to the bar means NOT to let go of the bar between reps and re-grip.

I love this board...

Anyway, good luck on your DL's cocism. A while back, someone ( I think either Urban or Carnal) posted a link to a t-nation guy that wrote up a nice article about 12 common mistakes on Deadlifting. I'll see if I can dig it up, lots of juicy information in there.

Im not shure about this "roll shoulders forward"-thing. Its made up form some powerlifters to lower the distance the bar has to travel. As long as all powerlifters care about is move as much weight as possible i think it can be usefull for an ahtlete to pull his shoulderblades together adn like that maybe move less weight (longer distance) but have a better effect on his upper back.

Lusst said:
I love this board...

Anyway, good luck on your DL's cocism. A while back, someone ( I think either Urban or Carnal) posted a link to a t-nation guy that wrote up a nice article about 12 common mistakes on Deadlifting. I'll see if I can dig it up, lots of juicy information in there.
Dave Tate's article on deadlifting:
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459744

Regarding the DL grip...

...is it better/more beneficial to have one hand pronated, and the other supinated (palms facing away from each other) or both hands pronated (palms facing you)?

I prefer both pronated, but then again I don't DL that much weight (don't own enough plates yet)

I go with the pro/sup grip, like so:

194johnstafford.jpg

P.S. - Thanks for the link SmashiusClay, gonna read that gem again later on today.

BackBrainKick said:
Regarding the DL grip...

...is it better/more beneficial to have one hand pronated, and the other supinated (palms facing away from each other) or both hands pronated (palms facing you)?

I prefer both pronated, but then again I don't DL that much weight (don't own enough plates yet)
Most people will lift with a mixed grip, this makes it much easier to hold onto the bar. I would'nt have thought the effect on your actual ability to deadlift changes much with either grip its just what your hands can take.

Lusst: That is an article I continually come back to and I swear each time I realise something that can change to make me a better deadlifter. I love deadlifts.

Back