Started chemotherapy today.

Cancer. Damn. Good luck to you TS. Keep us posted on your experience and recovery.

I'm only 28. It's in my genetics, this is just way, WAY earlier than anticipated.

Lynch syndrome by any chance?

Shitty shitty thing to have, but the upside is that they have an excellent response to treatment usually. Seen a few patients with that.

I was diagnosed with metastatic colon cancer several weeks back, had my first round of chemo this morning. Things went very well, no side effects yet, plus the cancer symptoms have already begun to lighten up a bit.

Anybody have any chemo stories to share, either yourself or a close individual?

I went through this back in 2011. My thoughts are you with.

Thanks again guys! Still feeling great today. No side effects, pain symptoms are still lessened, and lots of appetite. Bit more tired than usual, but hey, can't complain based on the alternative.

Myself and my friends are very optimistic.

My dad had testicular cancer that had metastasized into his intestines. He was given a miniscule chance of survival, and told that after the first surgery to remove a couple of tumors, he would no longer be able to have kids.

About a month or so after the surgery, my mom found out she was pregnant. She'd gotten pregnant at about the last possible opportunity before his surgery. My dad, in response to the news and sure he's dying, sits down and writes his future child a letter, thinking he won't be around for the birth.

Long story short, my dad survived and I was given that letter when I turned 18. It would be an understatement to say it was nice to be able to hug my dad after reading it.

Stay positive, TS. You can beat cancer. It happens every day.

Last year I moved in with my cousin after her sister died. She was not coping with daily activities, or being alone as her sister was also her housemate.

About 2 weeks after I moved in, she was diagnosed with ovarian cancer.

She had a full hysterectomy and went through 6 cycles of chemo over 6 months. Administered via IV. Her first one was pretty rough as she had a reaction to the chemicals.

Thankfully these days the chemo is much more targeted, specific and refined than the old days when they used to basically nuke everything and hope for the best. The side effects to the old chemo were past horrible.

After her first bad reaction the doses were fairly routine, although tiring and even though routine definitely not pleasant.

She would usually have a week of total fatigue (sleeping), some nausea and aches and then gradually recovering over the next couple of weeks until the next does.

Having the hysterectomy also sends you into early menopause, so there are also those symptoms when you have a hysterectomy to also deal with (hormonal, hot flushes etc).

Full hair loss, but my cousin is a boss and she just rocked the Kojak without all that wig shit that some girls do.

She is now cancer free.

I'm not religious put positive mind frame and energy can definitely help so I will be thinking of you and wishing you the best from Australia.

that's awesome and inspiring.

WAR all cancerpatients !

I will include you in my prayers TS. You should look up neem tree. It might be beneficial for you.

All positive thoughts are headed your way TS. Thanks for sharing. I don't think there are many people who haven't been touched by cancer in some way. Stay strong and positive. On the treatment side, I was just reading a few days ago that very positive results are being found with ketonic diets' ability to starve cancer cells. Has your doctor mentioned this?

Wishing you the best, TS. I think you'll do fine.

I never had cancer, just a cancer scare. It was a 5 month nightmare of doctors telling me I probably had lymphoma and performing biopsy after biopsy to try to determine the type. Finally, they told me I was in for some harsh chemo. I was admitted to the oncology ward and they decided they needed to run more tests since I wasn't exhibiting the expected physical symptoms for the type of lymphoma they thought I had.

I was in the hospital for 2 weeks: first week going stir crazy while they did x-rays and ct scans; second week recovering from a splenectomy. It was the loneliest week of my life since my loved ones were sick and couldn't visit.

The official diagnosis is sarcoidosis. It's been pretty stable, but I'm still having to deal with the effects of having been unaware of having this disease for so many years while having a diet that was causing major issues, unbeknownst to me.

My cousin is going through chemo right now. Unfortunately it's been quite the struggle. He has had 2 blood transfusions in the last 6 weeks and just had surgery where they drained one of his lungs due to some sac around his heart filling up with fluid.

So Ya, fuck cancer. Best of luck my man.

Ring Shark, how did you know. Were there any symptoms? Or did you just go get checked because its in the genetics. I have it in my genes too. Both my Mom and Dad had Cancer. Mom Colon, dad Pancreas. so I worry about it a lot.

Good luck man! If caught early, you'll likely survive cancer. I know people that lived for 30+ years since they went through chemo. You need to start watching your diet and rest habits very carefully from now on though.

Ring Shark, how did you know. Were there any symptoms? Or did you just go get checked because its in the genetics. I have it in my genes too. Both my Mom and Dad had Cancer. Mom Colon, dad Pancreas. so I worry about it a lot.

It was very strange actually. For 2 weeks I had just what felt like a runners cramp on my right side. It came and went randomly, so I thought nothing of it. One day it got quite bad so I went to the ER and they did and ultrasound and found the shit. Booked in for a CT scan the next day, and that is when they found it all.

So I have the cramps to thank really, if not for that it could have spread even worse by now.

Also, any doc I've ever had said to get checked ten years before the earliest diagnosed family member. My mom had it at 56, so my doc said to get scoped at 46, or even 40 to be safe.

I've owned up a whole new ball game on my mom's side of the family lol. All my cousins are frantically going in to get checked.

It was very strange actually. For 2 weeks I had just what felt like a runners cramp on my right side. It came and went randomly, so I thought nothing of it. One day it got quite bad so I went to the ER and they did and ultrasound and found the shit. Booked in for a CT scan the next day, and that is when they found it all.

So I have the cramps to thank really, if not for that it could have spread even worse by now.

BTW How are you dealing with the whole thing? You coping alright? Either way I think most if not all of us here on sherdog are behind you 100% and wishing you all the best pal. Keep us all posted.

BTW How are you dealing with the whole thing? You coping alright? Either way I think most if not all of us here on sherdog are behind you 100% and wishing you all the best pal. Keep us all posted.

I've had my ups and downs. The most stressful weeks of my life were waiting for biopsy results and waiting for meeting with Oncologist. Now that my treatments are underway, I am actually a lot more at ease.

Best of luck, Shark. It's a tough draw but others have made it. You can, too.

Stay positive Ring Shark and stay active. My grandfather survived colon cancer and his doctors credited much of his recovery to his active lifestyle. Even though he was weak from the chemo he still went for his regular walks each day.

Best wishes TS. I have faith you'll be fine. If you feel the need PM me, I have a few stories I can share.

Cheers my friend!

Back