start fighting at 40?

Screw the negativity, bro. If you want to try it, do it. Of course you can get hurt, everyone knows that. It will be amateur MMA; there's WAY more dangerous things you do on a daily basis.

I'd heavily emphasize grappling and cardio. Unless you're familiar with combat sports and competition your first go-round will be sloppy, any plan most likely forgotten, and gassed way quicker than you thought possible.

Do an amateur fight!
Set your goal to win a fight.
You will build discipline and feel a sense of accomplishment. Build a new perspective on life. Get in better shape.

I turned pro in 2013 at the age of 35. Didn’t turn Pro to be a Champ or known fighter, I had just beat cancer and wanted to live out a “dream”. I wrestled in hs and college, been a judoka since a child, cousin is pro boxer Karim Mayfield, best friend is Bunkerd Fairtex’s oldest son, and I had been at Fairtex Muay Thai SF long before Alpha Male, Team Cesar Gracie and MFS came weekly to train. So I had been training with pro fighters long before I ever thought about fighting plus I taught Muay Thai and Wrestling at the old K1 Fitness in SF. I’d train a lot longer then a yr and be completely realistic about your goals and wants in becoming a fighter. You will be a regional fighter if you even get fights offered to you during your Am career, fighting for pennies and selling your own tickets to events, if seeking fame and money, it’s not realistic regardless of how good you may end up being. I went 2-1 as am Am losing my last Am fight and went 2-3 as a Pro, but enjoyed every moment of the journey. Now I’m a Boxing Instructor to Am and Pro fighters, and teach a Muay Thai kids class.
Awesome!!

So I'm turning 39. I did karate as a little kid for a year or two. I ran a lot in highschool and did boxing classes, a lot of heavy bag, sparred a bit. My jab is decent. I did fencing for a few years and got good linear footwork. I've watched most UFCs so I know the moves, and have rolled a few times.

So I'm thinking of training hard for a year to get in shape, and then fighting when I'm 40. Has this been done before?
I was a very young 40, in fantastic shape, played sports, martial arts background, lifted my whole life had been in a few fights . Not sherdog level but still . I started mma training at almost 41. Sub wrestling, BJJ, MT, boxing. I had the money , the time on my hands and the rage.
2 years later I took a smoker. Won it easy with a counter left on the button about 2 mins in, ko.
I thought that this is fun.
My next smoker was a 26 year old wrestler. I had 4-5 inches in him, he looked like a fire plug. He was very respectful to me unlike the asshole who got knocked out that called me grand pa as we touched up
I lit his ass up on the feet. Floating like a butterfly, sting in those hands. He didn't hit me once for the first 2 or so mins. I was fucking him up and was feeling myself
Then the little bastard shot on me with a double, I managed to pull one leflg out and hopped around for awhile..he took he down and landed in side control and it felt like the Moon was laying on me. I landed hard when I went, down air almost went out . He was trying to relate space so he could punch/elbow my face in. I managed to hang on to his neck and pull him close no chance at any sub whatsoever, his limbs were short and he was strong as fuck.
I shrimped and then it gets fuzzy. Somehow I managed to grab a guard kimura.in a scramble / chaos and hung on for dear life. I put everything I had into it, I was gassing, I was in trouble. . He verbally tapped after eternity had passed.. I had an andreneline dump right about the same time. I laid there for I don't know how long, 30 seconds? and some dudes and my "corner " came over to congratulate me and help me up. It was fucking awful.
I realized I had no business in that cage.

Thx for letting me share. I still think about it all the time.
It's a young man's game

Why not? Age don't mean nothing. Randy Couture was a better fighter at 43.

Do it , im.getting back into Thai at 31 after a 4 year absence . Never competed but trained for 5 years before my absence love to compete before 35

So I'm turning 39. I did karate as a little kid for a year or two. I ran a lot in highschool and did boxing classes, a lot of heavy bag, sparred a bit. My jab is decent. I did fencing for a few years and got good linear footwork. I've watched most UFCs so I know the moves, and have rolled a few times.

So I'm thinking of training hard for a year to get in shape, and then fighting when I'm 40. Has this been done before?
Honest Question -
Have you ever been in real fight before? I don't mean grab ass on the playground, I mean trade blows against another person that is trying to wreck you?...

BronzeRegalKudu-max-1mb.gif

Honest Question -
Have you ever been in real fight before? I don't mean grab ass on the playground, I mean trade blows against another person that is trying to wreck you?...
That partially knows what he’s doing counts too

After carefully reading your thread.. Im essentially in the same kind of spot as you,.But im 30,and if im thinking about it like you are and your ,Almost 39 if anything your inspiring me...so i wish you luck

I think if you take the time to plan it, are honest with yourself and matchmakers its totally doable to get a scrap in ..I was close and in talks with promotions for my first fight then Covid shutdowns forced a stop to that

But plans will begin again once im working more regularly and i know my kids are safe at school...

I was supposed to fight MMA when i was like 18 - 20 years old but it was Illegal in my province so that meant traveling to fight and at that age it wasnt possible

Last edited:

If it hasn’t been brought up- do a masters boxing tournament. You’ll be matched within 5 years and 10lbs of your opponents and generally with someone around your same skill set.

bigger gloves than other amateur boxing but
Those old folks beat the shit out of each other, it’s a real fight. I watched Robert deniro’s stunt double knock a cholo grandpa out cold. It was wild

sure, why not, work on your movement. Foot work is everything.

Actually salsa classes or something might be a better place to start. That and skipping a lot of rope.

Honestly I think it would be best to make your # 1 goal to join a good gym & make a commitment to attend as many classes as you can and be consistent. Then after some time talk to your coach about fighting (#2 goal).

Sure why not? Go for it bro.

Back