start fighting at 40?

I'd say no till I saw the fencing Footwork..I mean, thats HUGE and could revolutionize the Sport.

All kidding aside I just turned 40 and had similar thought…….wanna fight ? I’m a small Heavyweight, but could make 195 easy enough

I'm in my 40's now and sometimes think what it would be like to fight again but what puts me off is other guys I've known who've hit their 40's and they remark how their punch resistance has really gone. So if it was looking to fight again I'd like to spar heavy a few times to get some idea of how I'm going to react to taking hard shots. Just from watching boxing it's really noticeable how common it is for fighters to lose their punch resistance as they get older. Then you have guys like Hopkins who can fight at the top level into their 50's but he has excellent defensive skills to mitigate any age related concerns.

Go train with the beasts taking it seriously and you may change your mind. And then there are the killers(athletic freaks) that don’t fight professionally or ever want to but take the odd amateur fight just to wreck someone, and they do. Meh, but what do I know.

I am also 33 , and I want to start professional MMA , I was 2 years ago WAKO pro amateur champion kick boxing , I am abotu 130 kg heavy and 189 cm , I dont have fatt , my instagram is Bosnian Highlander , I am from Bosnia , Balkans , and thanks for every fight advice if you have offer I will fight with everybody , I did many sparings with pro fighters and I was a coach some time

20220209_232408.jpg

Attachments

• 20220209_232408.jpg
    20220209_232408.jpg
    513.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220209_232359.jpg
    20220209_232359.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • 20211030_112842.jpg
    20211030_112842.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
Randy came back at 43 and won the belt and was better than in his younger years.

You can always fight at a local level. It is a bit late to start but so what. I am not going to lie to you and say you will make it to the big show though. It's not that hard to try amateur competition.

Grappling is a good option too but you might bump into an ringer from another sport. They have some competitions where they let you roll more than once now. It's not pay and get eliminated or move forward.

You may be 45 years old, but the main thing is not only to fight, but also to win. There must be a success to be noticed. The fact that you are 39 years old and you will start fighting sounds like good news that you can make money on

So I'm turning 39. I did karate as a little kid for a year or two. I ran a lot in highschool and did boxing classes, a lot of heavy bag, sparred a bit. My jab is decent. I did fencing for a few years and got good linear footwork. I've watched most UFCs so I know the moves, and have rolled a few times.

So I'm thinking of training hard for a year to get in shape, and then fighting when I'm 40. Has this been done before?

As long as it's treated as a hobby. At best you'll win a few amateur fights and that's if you're talented.

Im in exact same situation , about 15 years ago i did matches but then life career got in the way but now ive began training again and am thinking of entering a tournament ,. If you do it i will too !!

Plant a garden, watch some birds, build a model train set. Save your body. After 40 stuff just starts going on it’s own. There are no benefits from being punched and kicked.

So I'm turning 39. I did karate as a little kid for a year or two. I ran a lot in highschool and did boxing classes, a lot of heavy bag, sparred a bit. My jab is decent. I did fencing for a few years and got good linear footwork. I've watched most UFCs so I know the moves, and have rolled a few times.

So I'm thinking of training hard for a year to get in shape, and then fighting when I'm 40. Has this been done before?
Training for a year, what do you hope to gain in a year.

Im in exact same situation , about 15 years ago i did matches but then life career got in the way but now ive began training again and am thinking of entering a tournament ,. If you do it i will too !!
No offence but if you were serious you would not wait for someone else to do it.

Probably a really bad idea.

Do you even have the time to dedicate? in my 20s I trained 6 days per week for 3-5 hours per day, this is the kind of time you need to put in to be ready to fight.
I had a job with no responsibility, no wife, no kids, no mortgage.

Also I was ALWAYS injured, small things usually but there was always a strain, a bump, an infection (staph) sometimes a dislocation and occasionally a broken nose/bone at worst a concussion.
But everyone in the gym was always dealing with minor injuries.

At your age the injuries will probably be worse, I'm 40 now and last trained BJJ when I was 38, as much as I enjoyed it, the injuries were harder to recover from.

Join a gym to keep fit, you can do boxing, kickboxing etc.

But training for a fight is very very different, if you're there 1-2 hours a day for 3-5 days a week you're not going to be ready to fight a 19 year old savage who is training 6 hours a day and wants to make a career of this, that guy will have no qualms in bashing your skull in, breaking your arms or, tearing your knee ligaments apart for a $200 pay day.

when you’re training for 5 hours, does that include instructionals and watching film of other athletes? 5 hours, I’d think you’d be ready for Olympics after some time lol.

Oh, has definitely been done.
I'm seen some old die-hard hillbillies at local ammy shows that are literally on every single card. Their training is the fight. Not kidding at all.

Having done some fighting when younger, and still currently training (myself and others) my advice is focus on cardio all the time... you will not fight in a ring or cage the same as you do in the gym the first several fights. It sucks. You'll gas hella fast most likely; so having the ability to keep pushing when your opponent is feeling similarly is often the difference. I've lost track of how many fights I've seen lost because the adrenaline dump and fatigue after.

Go for it dude, get a coach who will properly guide you and a matchmaker that will give you a equal fight based on experience & age...
If the goal is to take 1-2 AM fights and win them that's a realistic goal. Not like you're 50.

Back