start fighting at 40?

You could, doesn’t mean you should. Getting confident hitting a heavy bag and watching UFC does not translate into being fight ready. There are less harmful ways of living out a mid life crisis

So I'm turning 39. I did karate as a little kid for a year or two. I ran a lot in highschool and did boxing classes, a lot of heavy bag, sparred a bit. My jab is decent. I did fencing for a few years and got good linear footwork. I've watched most UFCs so I know the moves, and have rolled a few times.

So I'm thinking of training hard for a year to get in shape, and then fighting when I'm 40. Has this been done before?

You don't need to do mma to roll on a mat with sweaty dudes. Just be a normal gay. mma is gay with more steps.

Go for it. I had my first ever fight a couple of months ago in the cage at the age of 34. Plan on doing it a few more times before I’m too old.

As I stated I just had my first fight in the cage at 34. What’s not too bad is there we’ll be a referee to make sure you don’t get killed and to stop the fight if taking too much punishment. Go to a mma gym and train until you feel confident. Do sparring to get the feel of an opponent in front of you. Go to mma classes, boxing, bjj. There’s no getting around you’re going to get hurt though. I still say as long as they will is there and they’ll let you fight then do it. It won’t be as bad as you think. You can at least get one fight in at 40.

No reason not to, you might regret it later if you don't. You're not gonna ruin your health from mid intensity training and a few amateur fights.

I'm turning 37 next month and plan on having my first amateur fight towards the end of the year. Trained 1-2x a week for about 4 years now without ever really planning to fight. But now I know I'll regret it if I never know what it's actually like.

I'm not as fast as I was 10 years ago but apart from that I feel fine, so why not.

No reason not to, you might regret it later if you don't. You're not gonna ruin your health from mid intensity training and a few amateur fights.

I'm turning 37 next month and plan on having my first amateur fight towards the end of the year. Trained 1-2x a week for about 4 years now without ever really planning to fight. But now I know I'll regret it if I never know what it's actually like.

I'm not as fast as I was 10 years ago but apart from that I feel fine, so why not.

you doing boxing or mma?

you doing boxing or mma?

MMA.

I went to MMA classes right away without any prior combat sports experience, it was obviously rough in the beginning but now I feel by far the most comfortable in MMA. Wouldn't want to do a pure grappling or striking competition.

MMA.

I went to MMA classes right away without any prior combat sports experience, it was obviously rough in the beginning but now I feel by far the most comfortable in MMA. Wouldn't want to do a pure grappling or striking competition.
Yes I’m35 and just had my first mma fight it’s what I feel most comfortable with too.. prob do it a few more times til I’m 40

Yes I’m35 and just had my first mma fight it’s what I feel most comfortable with too.. prob do it a few more times til I’m 40

How did it go?

How did it go?
It went well. I just go to the mma classes and I told my instructor I had an upcoming fight and he told me my opponent could be a guy who knows what he’s doing, but since we’re both 0-0 it’ll come down to who is more prepared so leading up to the fight, I ran every night and felt confident. I won in the first round tko. Got slammed pretty good, but other than that used my jab and did what I do. Now I understand I have to put in more work than just mma classes. Have been going to jiu jitsui as well to get a better overall game.

So I'm turning 39. I did karate as a little kid for a year or two. I ran a lot in highschool and did boxing classes, a lot of heavy bag, sparred a bit. My jab is decent. I did fencing for a few years and got good linear footwork. I've watched most UFCs so I know the moves, and have rolled a few times.

So I'm thinking of training hard for a year to get in shape, and then fighting when I'm 40. Has this been done before?

you can absolutley do it especially if you are in good shape already. my dad was 58 and was still boxing professionally and had a winning record against young fighters. he had a lifetime of experience but even still you can definitly still be pro and at least get to top 100 in the world maybe not champion.

I'm hosting a seminar with UFC veteran Jucao Carneiro, head coach at American Top Team, and Jeremy Kennedy, Bellator #2 ranked featherweight, this November in Playa Del Carmen. Our insta is @basedfightcamp if you want to check it out

I'm hosting a seminar with UFC veteran Jucao Carneiro, head coach at American Top Team, and Jeremy Kennedy, Bellator #2 ranked featherweight, this November in Playa Del Carmen. Our insta is @basedfightcamp if you want to check it out
Can I come?

Hey guys. New guy here.

Not going to start another thread, but I'm 38 turning 39 in August.

Starting doing GJJ at 37 but didnt like the idea of getting stripes on my belt for just showing up. Seemed like a cash grab and kinda cultish.

Joined a MMA gym run by a former UFC fighter 3 months ago and now am training muay thai, wrestling and bjj.

Going to try my hand at fighting them little bastards in an mma match when I'm 41. Also planning on competing in IBJJF at 40.

If the little punks beat me up then I'll just beat their dads up lol

You never know until you know.

Last edited:
My girlfriends dad took out a 27 year old while he fought his first amateur fight at 40 years old.
First round KO

Of course! Go for it. You have athletism and Wisdom

It went well. I just go to the mma classes and I told my instructor I had an upcoming fight and he told me my opponent could be a guy who knows what he’s doing, but since we’re both 0-0 it’ll come down to who is more prepared so leading up to the fight, I ran every night and felt confident. I won in the first round tko. Got slammed pretty good, but other than that used my jab and did what I do. Now I understand I have to put in more work than just mma classes. Have been going to jiu jitsui as well to get a better overall game.
Don't look just on supposed opponent's MMA record. Use search engines and find out his bacground in other sports.
It is like BJJ.
Blue belt divison might have guy who had competed in Olympic Games as judoka....best peace of cake, LOL. Monster with xxx rolls under belt.

It depends.

Back