start fighting at 40?

Its hard but you can do it. They'll probably pair you up in a masters division for older blokes.

Someone said it’s never late to start fighting but I think it totally depends on what the goal is. If it’s for fun, then nothing is too old but talking about professional fighting, it might be getting old fr.

I'd recommend challenging a local boxing club owner publicly, make sure someone videos it for YouTube fame at a later date

So I'm turning 39. I did karate as a little kid for a year or two. I ran a lot in highschool and did boxing classes, a lot of heavy bag, sparred a bit. My jab is decent. I did fencing for a few years and got good linear footwork. I've watched most UFCs so I know the moves, and have rolled a few times.

So I'm thinking of training hard for a year to get in shape, and then fighting when I'm 40. Has this been done before?
put your mind to it, train hard, be careful, have fun. all i can say. if you think you can do it, you can do it. work hard, pick up some fights. you never know til you try!

Fighting is a young mans game. You are going to get injured a lot. Join the local UFC gym and hit bags and do some light rolling. Otherwise you are going to get hurt and be out of work.

My friend just had his 1st MMA fight, hes 38, hes no slouch BJJ brown belt and did some sambo tournaments...

Fought vs some jacked hungry young dude. Didnt end well, it was pretty ugly for my guy. Randleman vs Cro Cop, call the ambulance type of ugly.

1/10 would not reccommend.

My friend just had his 1st MMA fight, hes 38, hes no slouch BJJ brown belt and did some sambo tournaments...

Fought vs some jacked hungry young dude. Didnt end well, it was pretty ugly for my guy. Randleman vs Cro Cop, call the ambulance type of ugly.

1/10 would not reccommend.
What was the young guys martial arts background and accolades?

So I'm turning 39. I did karate as a little kid for a year or two. I ran a lot in highschool and did boxing classes, a lot of heavy bag, sparred a bit. My jab is decent. I did fencing for a few years and got good linear footwork. I've watched most UFCs so I know the moves, and have rolled a few times.

So I'm thinking of training hard for a year to get in shape, and then fighting when I'm 40. Has this been done before?
I believe in you!

I did it @42. I was already in good shape, had never let myself go. I joined a BJJ/MMA gym and started going at it hard. I left there and went toAmerican top team,met some pros and worked hard. I had (have) good hand speed and reflexes, had bb in karate, done some wrestling and boxed at the boysclub as an adult.
I took lots of supplements and did a cycle of test.
I took two smokers, won both but the 2nd fight put the fear in me and caused me to question wtf I was doing. I tore my hip flexor (still hurts) rolling , planned I. Taking a break, but after I healed I never went back. It was a lot of fun, I met some cool dudes and I'm glad I did it.
Both my fights were stand up affairs , but the 2nd one Iwasighting him up and I got cocky and got taken down by a bull strong kid ,I snatched a kimura and held on for dear life.. I think he would have killed me if I had let go.
Took me 30 seconds to get off the mat and had a major adrenine dump. That part was awful

I did it @42. I was already in good shape, had never let myself go. I joined a BJJ/MMA gym and started going at it hard. I left there and went toAmerican top team,met some pros and worked hard. I had (have) good hand speed and reflexes, had bb in karate, done some wrestling and boxed at the boysclub as an adult.
I took lots of supplements and did a cycle of test.
I took two smokers, won both but the 2nd fight put the fear in me and caused me to question wtf I was doing. I tore my hip flexor (still hurts) rolling , planned I. Taking a break, but after I healed I never went back. It was a lot of fun, I met some cool dudes and I'm glad I did it.
Both my fights were stand up affairs , but the 2nd one Iwasighting him up and I got cocky and got taken down by a bull strong kid ,I snatched a kimura and held on for dear life.. I think he would have killed me if I had let go.
Took me 30 seconds to get off the mat and had a major adrenine dump. That part was awful

I know the 'adrenaline dump'/octagon jitters thing is often mocked, but it's unbelievably easy to dump adrenaline in a fight and just run out of steam right away.

Not necessarily as related to cardio as you might think, though obviously at UFC level most guys have good control over this kind of thing.

I know the 'adrenaline dump'/octagon jitters thing is often mocked, but it's unbelievably easy to dump adrenaline in a fight and just run out of steam right away.

Not necessarily as related to cardio as you might think, though obviously at UFC level most guys have good control over this kind of thing.
I had never experienced anything like that. It was scary actually. I was so hyped up and even though I won, I literally had to be helped up and I wasn't hurt at all. I think he hit me twice, I hit him like 20 times, mostly jabs, but he had a head like a rock and when he doubled my legs l, I felt how strong he was, like a fire plug.

Go for it bro!

If you are talented and have a natural aptitude for combat then you will do well. As long as your desire is enough to motivate you to do the work and if you have that natural talent then you may do well. Who knows you might go far in the sport. New generation is not really in to fighting. I believe you may do well if you somehow become the very FEW people that loves cardio training.

Yes, you are just entering your prime. You will be UFC champion in no time!

Just get into a gym where people don't try to kill each other and you will be fine.

Why do you give a fuck what anyone thinks other than yourself? Your first test will be if you acutally train everytime your gym has classes for 1 year. By that point you will have a better idea of the answer to your own question.

Get a real job bro, don't follow your passion especially at that age...

man-in-wheelchair-exercising.jpg

My advice: do it.

If you are sincere about it, if you ask yourself, "how great will I feel AFTER I went through this and got a match?" then you already know the answer.

40 is just a bullshit number. The hardest part for you will be staying determined and overcoming the head games that come with preparing for a combative match. I remember driving to the gym knowing there would be hard sparring in the lead up to my match, and I be trying to talk myself out of it a couple times. I didn't. After a couple of those times, I said, "what the fuck am I having these chats with myself for?," and then I remembered the best way to overcome what you are afraid of is to run straight at it. After that it was simpler.

don't have a fight after one year of training most wait five years before they debut unless they are a heavyweight. I'm not saying it's unwinnable but your opponents will have massive advantages.

Back