• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Movies STAR TREK BEYOND (Dragonlord's Review)

If you have seen STAR TREK BEYOND, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
@Dragonlordxxxxx

I liked it. A lot .

Admittedly I'm biased , I think this is the best science fiction trilogy of the last 25 years. I don't have any affection for the TV series or the 80s and 90s movies so this reboot doesn't feels fresh to me. Also Idris Elba is one of the great performers , TV or movies, PERIOD. So I liked his villain. I thought he was menacing and the glimpses of what he really was despite it being short was well conveyed by Elba.

The strength of the whole series to me is the Chemistry of the Enterprise crew. Pine , Quinto, Urban, Saldana, Pegg, Cho, and Yelchin (RIP) just flow on screen well together and the Team up of Bones and Spock for most of the movie was the highlight for me.

Also I thought Kirk's growth from the first movie is clear , the cocky to more tempered and feels more confident and I believe that he really is willing to go above and beyond for his crew.

I had a good time

10/10

So George Takei is gay in real life so Sulu must be gay.

Anton Yelchin dies in real life so Chekov can no longer exist.

Spiritual Medium Reveals: Anton Yelchin 'Disappointed' With Star Trek's Decision To Eliminate Chekov From Future Films

Last edited:
13690790_10155115908612178_6951096263778306326_n.jpg
"To infinity and beyond". RIP Alec Guinness.

I loved the hell out of Into Darkness (Hadn't seen Wrath of Khan beforehand so everything in the JJ movie seemed fresh) so I'm willing to give this one a chance. But the whole stuck on a planet thing kinda reminds me of Insurrection. That movie sucked. Especially coming after First Contact.

@Dragonlordxxxxx

I liked it. A lot .

Admittedly I'm biased , I think this is the best science fiction trilogy of the last 25 years. I don't have any affection for the TV series or the 80s and 90s movies so this reboot doesn't feels fresh to me. Also Idris Elba is one of the great performers , TV or movies, PERIOD. So I liked his villain. I thought he was menacing and the glimpses of what he really was despite it being short was well conveyed by Elba.

The strength of the whole series to me is the Chemistry of the Enterprise crew. Pine , Quinto, Urban, Saldana, Pegg, Cho, and Yelchin (RIP) just flow on screen well together and the Team up of Bones and Spock for most of the movie was the highlight for me.

Also I thought Kirk's growth from the first movie is clear , the cocky to more tempered and feels more confident and I believe that he really is willing to go above and beyond for his crew.

I had a good time

10/10
Glad you loved it. I'm curious to see if the others will share your glowing review of the film or fall in line with my positive but lukewarm reception.

It was okay and not better than the first two.

To me it's unnecessary to have the films character be gay when in REAL LIFE the actor who played Sulu in the old films is gay. Why should it translate from real life into the movie? Unnecessary I say

Critics' Reviews for STAR TREK BEYOND

Rotten Tomatoes: 84% approval rating (156 out of 186 critics like it)

Critics Consensus: Star Trek Beyond continues the franchise's post-reboot hot streak with an epic sci-fi adventure that honors the series' sci-fi roots without skimping on the blockbuster action.

Star-Trek-Beyond-071416-Dragonlord.jpg

Entertainment Weekly - Ultimately, Beyond is a movie about characters - and character. But that's half the battle. The other half of the battle is... battle. And Lin, who has such a strong track record with vehicular mayhem, doesn't bring his "A" game. C+

Newark Star-Ledger - While this is not your father's "Star Trek," it still feels like a fan's - and just the kind of warm, inclusive, feel-good entertainment this summer needs. 3.5/4

Richard Roeper - What a load of fun. Star Trek Beyond plays like an extended version of one of the better episodes from the original series, and I mean that in the best possible way. 3/4

James Berardinelli - The action sequences are frenetic, kinetic, and at times incoherent. But the plot, credited to Simon Pegg & Doug Jung, is pure Trek. Unfortunately, it’s also instantly forgettable. 2.5/4

Rolling Stone - It's plenty fast and furious but it also openly gives its heart to what came before. Come to 'Star Trek Beyond' for the pow; stay for the emotional wipeout. 3/4

Update: July 24, 2016

STAR TREK BEYOND Beams Up $59.6 Million on Opening Weekend

x0s0fa.jpg

Justin Lin's Star Trek Beyond beamed up a strong $59.6 million from 3,928 theaters in North America, more than enough to win the weekend and marking one of the best openings of summer to date.

However, the third chapter in Paramount and Skydance Productions' rebooted franchise came in 14 percent behind the opening of 2013's Star Trek Into Darkness ($70.2 million) as Hollywood battles a bad case of sequelitis. (The 2009 film Star Trek blasted off with an even better $75.2 million.)

Costing a hefty $185 million to make, Star Trek Beyond will need to do strong business overseas. It opened in roughly 46 percent of the marketplace this weekend, grossing $30 million from 37 markets for a global bow of $89.6 million. (It doesn't land in China until Sept. 2) With a heat wave impacting Europe, the overall result was 14 percent ahead of Star Trek: Into Darkness but 35 percent ahead of Star Trek.

Box Office: 'Star Trek Beyond' Beams Up $59.6M; 'Ice Age 5' Bombs With $21M

To me it's unnecessary to have the films character be gay when in REAL LIFE the actor who played Sulu in the old films is gay. Why should it translate from real life into the movie?
I kinda get it. The new films constantly refer back to the old films, playing with expectations. But because of this a lot of the new films have elements that feel undeserved and a little perfunctory. I think they want to balance that with heart and paying homage to not only the mythos but the culture of STAR TREK as well.

For me the films tend to get better upon repeat viewing.

I fucking hated everything about into darkness...... EVERYTHING!
I will wait for netflix.

Update: September 17, 2015

STAR TREK BEYOND Pushed Back Two Weeks to July 22, 2016

2r6fj1w.jpg

Paramount, Skydance and Bad Robot have moved Star Trek Beyond back two weeks from July 8, 2016 to July 22, 2016, the studio announced Thursday. Star Trek Beyond was going to open against Zac Efron's comedy Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates and Illumination Entertainment’s animated movie The Secret Life of Pets, but it will now go head-to-head with Guy Ritchie's King Arthur and Fox’s animated movie Ice Age: Collision Course. Star Trek Beyond will now arrive one week after Sony’s Ghostbusters and one week before the next chapter in Universal’s Bourne franchise.

Fast & Furious director Justin Lin is directing the third new Star Trek movie, which brings back stars Chris Pine (Captain Kirk), Zachary Quinto (Spock), Zoe Saldana (Uhura) and Simon Pegg (Scotty). They’ll be joined by Idris Elba, who will play a villain in the sci-fi sequel.

Star Trek Beyond is being produced by Bad Robot’s J.J. Abrams and Bryan Burk as well as Roberto Orci, while Skydance’s David Ellison and Dana Goldberg will executive produce. Paramount’s release shift brings Star Trek Beyond closer to the 50th anniversary of the original Star Trek TV series, which debuted on Sept. 8, 1966.

‘Star Trek Beyond’ Pushed Back Two Weeks, Will Take on Guy Ritchie's ‘King Arthur’

Update: August 18, 2015

ABOUT TIME Actress Lydia Wilson Joins STAR TREK BEYOND

Lydia-Wilson-Star-Trek-Beyond-Dragonlord.jpg

Lydia Wilson has joined the cast of Paramount and Skydance's Star Trek Beyond. Justin Lin is directing with Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Simon Pegg, Karl Urban, Zoe Saldana and Anton Yelchin all on board to return with Idris Elba set to play the villain. Joe Taslim and Sofia Boutella have also joined the cast. J.J. Abrams will produce along with his producing partner Bryan Burke and Skydance's David Ellison and Dana Goldberg. Production is currently underway.

Details of Elba's role are being kept under wraps as is the details behind Wilson's role. Paramount and Skydance had no comment on casting. Pegg and Doug Jung are writing the script for the pic that bows July 8, 2016. Since rebooting in 2009, the Star Trek franchise has made more than $800 million worldwide and is viewed as one of Paramount's top priorities.

Known for her roles in British TV and theater, Wilson broke out as Dom Gleeson's lovable, trouble-making sister, Kit Kat, in Richard Curtis' romantic comedy About Time. She can also be seen in the BBC America show Ripper Street and was just seen in the play Charles the Third.

'About Time' Actress Lydia Wilson Joins the Cast of 'Star Trek Beyond' (Exclusive)

Update: August 4, 2015

Director Justin Lin in New STAR TREK: TO BOLDLY GO Promo

Star-Trek-Beyond-Cummins-Lin-Dragonlord.jpg

For the past several weeks, Star Trek Beyond has partnered with Omaze for the Star Trek: To Boldly Go campaign, which allows fans who donate $10 or more to be chosen at random to be part of the "Boldly Go Crew". If you're chosen, you get to fly "to Vancouver to visit the closed set and meet the cast of Star Trek Beyond. Additionally, supporters will also be automatically entered to with the once-in-a-lifetime grand prize: a walk-on-role!" Your donation will go to support nine global causes, each one chosen by a Star Trek Beyond cast member.

Omaze is releasing a series of videos to keep people interested, and today Collider exclusively debuts the latest one, which features director Justin Lin, Omaze co-founder Ryan Cummins, and the magic of well-timed explosions.

Enter to win by going to Omaze.com/StarTrek. If you win the grand prize, you and a friend will be flown to Vancouver and stay in a 4-star hotel, go behind the scenes, hang out with the cast, witness filming, and be transformed by hair, makeup and costume to be a Star Trek character and get a walk-on role in the film. And even if you don't win, you still donated money to some amazing charities. Star Trek Beyond opens July 8, 2016.

Director Justin Lin Wants You To Be on the “Boldly Go Crew”

Update: July 14, 2015

STAR TREK BEYOND Cast Launches Global Omaze Campaign

Star-Trek-Beyond-Omaze-Dragonlord.jpg

The Star Trek Beyond cast has created a unique philanthropic initiative in partnership with Omaze. The Star Trek: To Boldly Go campaign will support the cast's personal selection of nine global causes, which will each receive equal portions of the funds raised when fans enter for a chance to win a walk-on role in director Justin Lin's Star Trek Beyond, the third film in the blockbuster franchise, released on July 8, 2016. The campaign runs from 12:01 a.m. PST on July 14th until 11:59 p.m. PST September 1st.

To coincide with the campaign's launch, cast members John Cho, Simon Pegg, Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoë Saldana, Karl Urban, Anton Yelchin and Idris Elba recorded a special video message on the iconic Starship Enterprise bridge set. The video, which you can watch below, kicked off production and features the cast inviting fans to make franchise history as the first fans to ever win a walk-on role in a Star Trek movie. For each $10 contribution made through the Omaze fundraising platform, eligible participants will be automatically entered for a chance to win this once-in-a-lifetime experience.

The Star Trek: To Boldly Go Grand Prize winner and a guest will: Fly to Vancouver and stay in a 4-star hotel; Go behind the scenes of Star Trek Beyond, hang with the cast, and experience the filming of the movie; Be transformed by hair, makeup and costume teams into a Star Trek character and filmed for a scene in Star Trek Beyond.

In addition to the Grand Prize Winner, six additional winners will be randomly selected throughout the campaign to form the honorary Star Trek: To Boldly Go crew. The Star Trek: To Boldly Go Crew will: Visit the closed set and meet the cast of Star Trek Beyond; Be among the first to see scenes from the latest film; Travel to Vancouver

The Cast of Star Trek Beyond Launches Global Omaze Campaign

The release date being moved around worked out perfectly. Good for the execs.

And lol @ crushing Ice Age. Why did they make another Ice Age cartoon?

Nice action movie. Not Star Trek.

Here are the results for the opening weekend for Germany:

Beyond: 304k visitors
Into Darkness: 446k
Star Trek 2009: 422k
Nemesis: 483k
Insurrection: 826k
First Contact: 769k
Generations: 558k
Undiscovered Country: 532k
The Final Frontier: 36k (lol no typo)
The Voyage Home: 129k
Search for Spock: 323k

Will probably see on cable. Respect Takei's stance.. Leave characters sexuality alone. Also, I think there WAS a scene of Sulu kissing a female in the original series; contrary to what I read about Sulu's sexuality not being discussed. You know, in those times, you didn't have to say all that much, if you kissed a women and had a daughter, you didn't need to "come out" as straight."

I like some of the reviews for this film, and if I find myself at the movies not knowing what to see, this might get my money.

Last edited:
I really don't get why trekkies hate these movies. I think they are true to the Star Trek legacy and also go with the times of modern cinematography. Of course they will be significantly different from the series, they are movies after all.

Maybe the new movies...Go against the whole idea of the show? Maybe in a time where everything has lost its soul, we need a soulful Star Trek even more than before? Maybe in a time where atheism and scientific knowledge has grown, a movie with a strong component being a partial moral guide for the future like Star trek would be 100000000x more important than a shoot em up action flick?

So George Takei is gay in real life so Sulu must be gay.

Anton Yelchin dies in real life so Chekov can no longer exist.

Let's hope Zachary Quinto isn't picked up for shoplifting anytime soon.

To me it's unnecessary to have the films character be gay when in REAL LIFE the actor who played Sulu in the old films is gay. Why should it translate from real life into the movie? Unnecessary I say
but it does vibe with what Star Trek series (tv shows, movies, etc) has always tried to emulate. Acceptance of a person regardless of race, religion, gender, and now, sexual orientation. I don't see it as a big deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RuralAttacker25
Back