• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Movies STAR TREK BEYOND (Dragonlord's Review)

If you have seen STAR TREK BEYOND, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dragonlordxxxxx

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Update: July 20, 2016

Dragonlord's Review of STAR TREK BEYOND
(No Spoilers)

Bottom Line: Less frenetic and more lighthearted than its predecessor, Star Trek Beyond is a pleasant, passable entry in the franchise.

55MDZPs.jpg

While on a rescue mission, the Enterprise is attacked by a new enemy with an unstoppable swarm of ships. Forced to abandon the Enterprise, the crew is stranded on a planet where they uncover a new threat to the existence of the United Federation.

Fast & Furious director Justin Lin takes over the directing duties from J.J. Abrams while Simon Pegg does double duty playing Scotty and co-writing the script with Doug Jung. The result is a less frenetic and more lighthearted entry that allows more breathing room for camaraderie moments while providing enough satisfactory action sequences. Lin does a commendable job overall but some of his execution was lacking like the lackluster prison rescue scene.

Most of the Starship Enterprise core crew gets some quality screen time except for Sulu and Uhura who are mostly relegated in the prisoner role. Brooding that he’s one year older than his father will ever be, Kirk is more mature and considers being promoted to Vice-Admiral. Spock receives some bad news and contemplates leaving the Starfleet. Chekov gets a lot of screen time, albeit not very memorable, following Kirk around. Bones is paired up with Spock and have some amusing buddy moments. Scotty as always is the welcomed comic relief.

Unrecognizable under heavy latex makeup, Idris Elba plays the film’s main villain, Krall. Elba is wasted on Krall, who is like a Khan clone and spends most of his time searching for the MacGuffin artifact that powers his doomsday weapon. The revelation of his true identity comes way too late.

With her spunky attitude, striking yet alluring facial features, survival skills and impressive hand-to-hand fighting prowess, Jaylah (played by Kingsman breakout star Sofia Boutella) is probably the standout among the characters. There is just this one scene that bugs me though where she was soundly beaten up by her opponent but she turns the table around after her battle cry.

Here’s a few mishmash of thoughts. The massive spaceport Yorktown is a spectacular sight to behold. It’s like the space habitat in Elysium meets Inception and multiplied by ten. The swarm looks cool but the practicality and feasibility are questionable (see spoilers below). The photograph near the end was very poignant and packs the biggest emotional punch of the film.

Overall, Star Trek Beyond is a decent, enjoyable adventure paying homage to the original TV series but foiled with a Khan-like clone for a villain and a third act that rehashes the previous two Star Trek films.

Rating: 6.5/10

WARNING: SPOILER THOUGHTS AND MUSINGS BELOW.

* The third act is where the film loses me as it feels like a rehash of the previous two Star Trek film - villain on his way to a Federation planet/base, the heroes have to catch up to him, villain’s ship is neutered, villain gets inside the base, hero chases villain on foot and eventually fight him one-on-one.

* They looked cool and all but there were some aspects of the swarm that kinda bothered me. It didn’t really affect the quality of the film, mind you. The swarm’s primary offense is to ram themselves to their targets. Sure, the tips of the swarm ships were pointy but it doesn’t mean they’re indestructible.

* When you see the swarm in full force, it looks like they’re composed of a million small ships. These ships are not robot drones but are piloted by two beings as proven by Spock and Bones when they twice got onboard these ships by random. That means that there should be roughly 2 million soldiers piloting these ships. But back in Krall’s camp, you only see a handful of them. Plus, Krall’s base doesn’t look like it can accommodate a thousand people, let alone a million.

* The Deus Ex Machina plot device that destroyed the swarm was super convenient. Still don’t understand how come they just spontaneously combusted when the music was only meant to jam their communications and coordination.

* Kirk not finishing off or neutralizing Krall after shooting him when he had the chance was facepalm worthy.

Last edited:
Update: July 14, 2016

First Reactions to STAR TREK BEYOND are Overwhelmingly Positive

Star-Trek-Beyond-071416-Dragonlord.jpg

The verdict is in and it looks like Paramount Pictures' Star Trek Beyond is a winner all the way! The initial reactions from last night's press screening have been very positive with many critics describing the film as the most enjoyable and entertaining of the new trilogy and praising its surprising amount of heart.

Many of the hardcore Trekkies are comparing the film very favorably to The Original Series and are essentially saying it's the first of the three films to properly emulate the feel of that classic series. As for the cast, Chris Pine and Sofia Boutella seem to be the standouts, with one critic saying Pine's performance as Captain Kirk is better than its ever been before and another saying that Boutella's Jaylah steals every scene she's in. Simon Pegg also gets a shoutout for delivering an excellent script.

First Reactions For Star Trek Beyond Say It's A Blast; "A Throwback To The Original Series"

Update: July 8, 2016

Zachary Quinto Disappointed with George Takei's Gay Sulu Comments

Zachary-Quinto-Star-Trek-Beyond-070816-Dragonlord.jpg

"As a member of the LGBT community myself, I was disappointed by the fact that George was disappointed," current Spock actor Zachary Quinto said during a conversation with Pedestrian.TV in response to Takei's comments about the upcoming movie.

Addressing this criticism, Quinto said, "I get it that he's has had his own personal journey and has his own personal relationship with this character but, you know, as we established in the first Star Trek film in 2009, we've created an alternate universe."

He continued, "My hope is that eventually George can be strengthened by the enormously positive response from especially young people who are heartened by and inspired by this really tasteful and beautiful portrayal of something that I think is gaining acceptance and inclusion in our societies across the world, and should be."

Zachary Quinto Is "Disappointed" By George Takei's Gay Sulu Comments

Update: July 8, 2016

Simon Pegg Defends Gay Sulu Reveal After George Takei Criticism

Simon-Pegg-Star-Trek-Beyond-070816-Dragonlord.jpg

Simon Pegg released a statement to The Guardian: "I have huge love and respect for George Takei, his heart, courage and humour are an inspiration. However, with regards to his thoughts on our Sulu, I must respectfully disagree with him.

"He’s right, it is unfortunate, it’s unfortunate that the screen version of the most inclusive, tolerant universe in science fiction hasn’t featured an LGBT character until now. We could have introduced a new gay character, but he or she would have been primarily defined by their sexuality, seen as the ‘gay character’, rather than simply for who they are, and isn’t that tokenism?"

"Justin Lin, Doug Jung and I loved the idea of it being someone we already knew because the audience have a pre-existing opinion of that character as a human being, unaffected by any prejudice. Their sexual orientation is just one of many personal aspects, not the defining characteristic. Also, the audience would infer that there has been an LGBT presence in the Trek Universe from the beginning (at least in the Kelvin Timeline), that a gay hero isn’t something new or strange. It’s also important to note that at no point do we suggest that our Sulu was ever closeted, why would he need to be? It’s just hasn’t come up before."

"I don’t believe Gene Roddenberry’s decision to make the prime timeline’s Enterprise crew straight was an artistic one, more a necessity of the time. Trek rightly gets a lot of love for featuring the first interracial kiss on US television, but Plato’s Stepchildren was the lowest rated episode ever."

"The viewing audience weren’t open minded enough at the time and it must have forced Roddenberry to modulate his innovation. His mantra was always ‘infinite diversity in infinite combinations’. If he could have explored Sulu’s sexuality with George, he no doubt would have. Roddenberry was a visionary and a pioneer but we choose our battles carefully."

"Our Trek is an alternate timeline with alternate details. Whatever magic ingredient determines our sexuality was different for Sulu in our timeline. I like this idea because it suggests that in a hypothetical multiverse, across an infinite matrix of alternate realities, we are all LGBT somewhere."

"Whatever dimension we inhabit, we all just want to be loved by those we love (and I love George Takei). I can’t speak for every reality but that must surely true of this one. Live long and prosper."

Star Trek's Sulu Sexuality: Simon Pegg Respectfully Disagrees with George Takei

Update: July 7, 2016

George Takei Not Happy with Sulu Being Gay in STAR TREK BEYOND

George-Takei-Star-Trek-Beyond-Dragonlord.jpg

After it was recently revealed that Hikaru Sulu will be the first gay character in the Star Trek franchise, original Sulu actor George Takei wasn't overjoyed. He had never asked for Sulu to be gay. In fact, he'd much prefer that he stay straight. "I’m delighted that there’s a gay character," he tells The Hollywood Reporter. "Unfortunately, it’s a twisting of Gene’s creation, to which he put in so much thought. I think it’s really unfortunate."

He explains that Roddenberry was exhaustive in conceiving his Star Trek characters. (The name Sulu, for example, was based on the Sulu Sea off the coast of the Philippines, so as to render his Asian nationality indeterminate.) And Roddenberry had always envisioned Sulu as heterosexual.

Proving that is not so simple a matter, however. Sulu never had an on-screen love interest during Star Trek's initial three-season run. He did mention a daughter, Demora, who appeared in 1994's Star Trek Generations, the seventh film in the series (she was played by Jacqueline Kim).

Takei first learned of Sulu's recent same-sex leanings last year, when Cho called him to reveal the big news. Takei tried to convince him to make a new character gay instead. "I told him, 'Be imaginative and create a character who has a history of being gay, rather than Sulu, who had been straight all this time, suddenly being revealed as being closeted.'"

Not long after Cho's bombshell call came another, this one from Lin, again informing that Sulu was indeed to be gay in Star Trek Beyond. Takei remained steadfastly opposed to the decision.

"I said, 'This movie is going to be coming out on the 50th anniversary of Star Trek, the 50th anniversary of paying tribute to Gene Roddenberry, the man whose vision it was carried us through half a century. Honor him and create a new character. I urged them. He left me feeling that that was going to happen," Takei says.

After that, all was quiet from Beyond until a few months ago, when Takei received an email from Pegg "praising me for my advocacy for the LGBT movement and for my pride in Star Trek," he says. "And I thought to myself, 'How wonderful! It’s a fan letter from Simon Pegg. Justin had talked to him!'" Takei was certain the creative team had rethought their decision to make Sulu gay.

That is until one month ago, when he received an email from Cho informing him that the actor was about to embark on an international media tour for Beyond. Cho said it was bound to come out that his character was gay, and "what should he do?" A disappointed Takei told Cho to go about his promotional duties, but that he was "not going to change" his mind on the matter.

"I really tried to work with these people when at long last the issue of gay equality was going to be addressed," Takei says. "I thought after that conversation with Justin that was going to happen. Months later, when I got that email from Simon Pegg, I was kind of confused. He thinks I’m a great guy? Wonderful. But what was the point of that letter? I interpreted that as my words having been heard."

George Takei Reacts to Gay Sulu News: "I Think It's Really Unfortunate"

Update: July 7, 2016

STAR TREK BEYOND Reveals Mr. Sulu as First Gay Character in Franchise

Star-Trek-Beyond-Sulu-070716-Dragonlord.jpg

Mr. Hikaru Sulu, played in the modern Star Trek films by actor John Cho, is being revealed as gay in the next film, Star Trek Beyond. When we pick up the story of the crew of the USS Enterprise, Sulu is depicted as a father with a same-sex partner and a daughter. While it's a fact, it's done very casually, with no fanfare - it's just there, something Cho appreciated.

"I liked the approach, which was not to make a big thing out of it," Cho told the Australian newspaper The Herald Sun during the press tour for the film. "[That] is where I hope we are going as a species, to not politicize one's personal orientations."

The change comes as a nod by writer (and fellow star) Simon Pegg and director Justin Lin to the original portrayer of Sulu, George Takei. The actor, long after playing the character in the original television series and in films, didn't officially come out as gay until 2005. As an Asian-American gay man in the 60s, if he had been open, he would not have been able to work as an actor, he has said.

Sulu has been depicted in the new version of the Star Trek universe as a strong, daring leader, willing to literally jump into action, and capable of working as a bold acting captain when Captain Kirk (Chris Pine) is away. Now, he'll also be depicted as a loving father, who happens to be homosexual. This is the first out gay character ever in the Star Trek screen franchise, and notably beats another franchise, Star Wars with a gay character openly depicted on screen.

Star Trek Beyond Reveals Mr. Sulu as First Gay Character in Star Trek Franchise

Update: June 27, 2016

New STAR TREK BEYOND Trailer Debuts New Rihanna Song

Star-Trek-Beyond-062716-Dragonlord.jpg

Rihanna dropped the full track for "Sledgehammer," her contribution to the Star Trek Beyond soundtrack, on Monday morning.

After teasing on Sunday that the song clip was coming with an Instagram post in which she sported some alien-looking face paint, Rih unleashed the emotional ballad that she has seemingly been working on since tweeting "you're just another brick and I'm a sledgehammer" back in 2014.

The track appears in a new Star Trek Beyond trailer that debuted on Monday morning. Beyond, the third episode in the reboot of the space epic franchise, is due in theaters on July 22.

Rihanna Debuts Ballad "Sledgehammer" in New 'Star Trek Beyond' Trailer

Update: June 19, 2016

STAR TREK BEYOND Actor Anton Yelchin Dies in Freak Car Accident

Anton-Yelchin-RIP-061916-Dragonlord.jpg

Anton Yelchin, best known for playing Chekov in the new Star Trek films, has died. He was 27. The actor was killed in a car accident early Sunday morning, his publicist, Jennifer Allen confirmed.

The accident happened around 1:10 a.m. at Yelchin's home in Studio City, LAPD spokeswoman Jenny Houser told The Hollywood Reporter. "It appears he momentarily exited his car and it rolled backward, causing trauma that led to his death," said Houser.

Yelchin was on his way to meet his friends for rehearsal and when he didn't respond, his friends went to check on him. The actor was found pinned between the car and the fence and a mailbox pillar.

Yelchin stars in the upcoming Star Trek Beyond, which is set to open July 22. The film's studio, Paramount Pictures, released a statement on Yelchin's death:

"All of us at Paramount join the world in mourning the untimely passing of Anton Yelchin. As a member of the Star Trek family, he was beloved by so many and he will missed by all. We share our deepest condolences with his mother, father and family."

Star Trek director J.J. Abrams posted a tribute to the actor through his Bad Robot twitter page. He tweeted a photo of a handwritten note which reads, "You were brilliant. You were kind. You were funny as hell, and supremely talented. And you weren’t here nearly long enough. Missing you. JJ"

Anton Yelchin, 'Star Trek' Actor, Dies at 27, Killed in a Fatal Traffic Collision Early Sunday Morning

Update: May 20, 2016

2nd STAR TREK BEYOND Trailer Rips the Enterprise Apart

Star-Trek-Beyond-072016a-Dragonlord.jpg

Paramount Pictures has released a new trailer for Star Trek Beyond. Justin Lindirects the sequel from a script by Simon Pegg and Doug Jung, which finds the crew in the midst of their five-year mission when they run across a villainous alien played by Idris Elba, who lays waste to the U.S.S. Enterprise’s plans.

The trailer premiered during a fan event in Los Angeles tonight, where it was announced that Star Trek Beyond will have its world premiere at San Diego Comic-Con on July 20th during the world’s very first outdoor IMAX screening, with a live orchestra. Star Trek Beyond opens on July 22, 2016 in IMAX and traditional theaters.

This trailer is much more character-centric than the film’s first trailer, and that feels like a reaction to the reaction to that debut Star Trek Beyond trailer, which led many to believe that Lin’s take on Trek meant motorcycle jumps and explosions. With this new trailer, it’s made clear the story focus is on Kirk still being haunted by the ghost of his father and trying to figure out what kind of Captain he is. This internal crisis is exacerbated when the crew is forced to abandon the Enterprise and is scattered about, and it looks as though the main story crux will be about the crew members attempting to find each other again.

Star Trek Beyond: New Trailer Attempts to Right the Ship

Update: December 14, 2015

First STAR TREK BEYOND Trailer Boldly Goes on a New Mission

Star-Trek-Beyond-Chekov-Spock-Dragonlord.jpg

Paramount Pictures has released the first trailer for Star Trek Beyond. Fast & Furious veteran Justin Lin steps into the director's chair this time around, working from a screenplay written by Simon Pegg and Doug Jung that finds the Enterprise crew stranded on an alien planet. It's positively unmistakable that this is a Star Trek movie from the director behind that mile-long runway chase in Fast & Furious 6, as we see explosions and stunts galore anchored by a callback to J.J. Abrams' first Trek film in the form of "Sabotage."

And that's really the crux of this initial trailer: to tell audiences that with Star Trek Beyond they'll be getting something big, brash, and fun. And that's really the crux of this initial trailer: to tell audiences that with Star Trek Beyond they'll be getting something big, brash, and fun. The trailer is leaning pretty heavily on the humor aspect as opposed to the dire first trailer for Star Trek Into Darkness. Star Trek Beyond opens on July 22, 2016 in IMAX and traditional theaters.

First 'Star Trek Beyond' Trailer Boldly Goes on a New Mission

Update: September 17, 2015

STAR TREK BEYOND Pushed Back Two Weeks to July 22, 2016

2r6fj1w.jpg

Paramount, Skydance and Bad Robot have moved Star Trek Beyond back two weeks from July 8, 2016 to July 22, 2016, the studio announced Thursday. Star Trek Beyond was going to open against Zac Efron's comedy Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates and Illumination Entertainment’s animated movie The Secret Life of Pets, but it will now go head-to-head with Guy Ritchie's King Arthur and Fox’s animated movie Ice Age: Collision Course. Star Trek Beyond will now arrive one week after Sony’s Ghostbusters and one week before the next chapter in Universal’s Bourne franchise.

Fast & Furious director Justin Lin is directing the third new Star Trek movie, which brings back stars Chris Pine (Captain Kirk), Zachary Quinto (Spock), Zoe Saldana (Uhura) and Simon Pegg (Scotty). They’ll be joined by Idris Elba, who will play a villain in the sci-fi sequel.

Star Trek Beyond is being produced by Bad Robot’s J.J. Abrams and Bryan Burk as well as Roberto Orci, while Skydance’s David Ellison and Dana Goldberg will executive produce. Paramount’s release shift brings Star Trek Beyond closer to the 50th anniversary of the original Star Trek TV series, which debuted on Sept. 8, 1966.

‘Star Trek Beyond’ Pushed Back Two Weeks, Will Take on Guy Ritchie's ‘King Arthur’

Update: August 18, 2015

ABOUT TIME Actress Lydia Wilson Joins STAR TREK BEYOND

Lydia-Wilson-Star-Trek-Beyond-Dragonlord.jpg

Lydia Wilson has joined the cast of Paramount and Skydance's Star Trek Beyond. Justin Lin is directing with Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Simon Pegg, Karl Urban, Zoe Saldana and Anton Yelchin all on board to return with Idris Elba set to play the villain. Joe Taslim and Sofia Boutella have also joined the cast. J.J. Abrams will produce along with his producing partner Bryan Burke and Skydance's David Ellison and Dana Goldberg. Production is currently underway.

Details of Elba's role are being kept under wraps as is the details behind Wilson's role. Paramount and Skydance had no comment on casting. Pegg and Doug Jung are writing the script for the pic that bows July 8, 2016. Since rebooting in 2009, the Star Trek franchise has made more than $800 million worldwide and is viewed as one of Paramount's top priorities.

Known for her roles in British TV and theater, Wilson broke out as Dom Gleeson's lovable, trouble-making sister, Kit Kat, in Richard Curtis' romantic comedy About Time. She can also be seen in the BBC America show Ripper Street and was just seen in the play Charles the Third.

'About Time' Actress Lydia Wilson Joins the Cast of 'Star Trek Beyond' (Exclusive)

Update: August 4, 2015

Director Justin Lin in New STAR TREK: TO BOLDLY GO Promo

Star-Trek-Beyond-Cummins-Lin-Dragonlord.jpg

For the past several weeks, Star Trek Beyond has partnered with Omaze for the Star Trek: To Boldly Go campaign, which allows fans who donate $10 or more to be chosen at random to be part of the "Boldly Go Crew". If you're chosen, you get to fly "to Vancouver to visit the closed set and meet the cast of Star Trek Beyond. Additionally, supporters will also be automatically entered to with the once-in-a-lifetime grand prize: a walk-on-role!" Your donation will go to support nine global causes, each one chosen by a Star Trek Beyond cast member.

Omaze is releasing a series of videos to keep people interested, and today Collider exclusively debuts the latest one, which features director Justin Lin, Omaze co-founder Ryan Cummins, and the magic of well-timed explosions.

Enter to win by going to Omaze.com/StarTrek. If you win the grand prize, you and a friend will be flown to Vancouver and stay in a 4-star hotel, go behind the scenes, hang out with the cast, witness filming, and be transformed by hair, makeup and costume to be a Star Trek character and get a walk-on role in the film. And even if you don't win, you still donated money to some amazing charities. Star Trek Beyond opens July 8, 2016.

Director Justin Lin Wants You To Be on the “Boldly Go Crew”

Update: July 14, 2015

STAR TREK BEYOND Cast Launches Global Omaze Campaign

Star-Trek-Beyond-Omaze-Dragonlord.jpg

The Star Trek Beyond cast has created a unique philanthropic initiative in partnership with Omaze. The Star Trek: To Boldly Go campaign will support the cast's personal selection of nine global causes, which will each receive equal portions of the funds raised when fans enter for a chance to win a walk-on role in director Justin Lin's Star Trek Beyond, the third film in the blockbuster franchise, released on July 8, 2016. The campaign runs from 12:01 a.m. PST on July 14th until 11:59 p.m. PST September 1st.

To coincide with the campaign's launch, cast members John Cho, Simon Pegg, Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoë Saldana, Karl Urban, Anton Yelchin and Idris Elba recorded a special video message on the iconic Starship Enterprise bridge set. The video, which you can watch below, kicked off production and features the cast inviting fans to make franchise history as the first fans to ever win a walk-on role in a Star Trek movie. For each $10 contribution made through the Omaze fundraising platform, eligible participants will be automatically entered for a chance to win this once-in-a-lifetime experience.

The Star Trek: To Boldly Go Grand Prize winner and a guest will: Fly to Vancouver and stay in a 4-star hotel; Go behind the scenes of Star Trek Beyond, hang with the cast, and experience the filming of the movie; Be transformed by hair, makeup and costume teams into a Star Trek character and filmed for a scene in Star Trek Beyond.

In addition to the Grand Prize Winner, six additional winners will be randomly selected throughout the campaign to form the honorary Star Trek: To Boldly Go crew. The Star Trek: To Boldly Go Crew will: Visit the closed set and meet the cast of Star Trek Beyond; Be among the first to see scenes from the latest film; Travel to Vancouver

The Cast of Star Trek Beyond Launches Global Omaze Campaign

Last edited:
Update: July 24, 2015

THE RAID Actor Joe Taslim Joins STAR TREK BEYOND Cast

Joe-Taslim-Star-Trek-Beyond-Dragonlord.jpg

Indonesian actor and martial artist Joe Taslim has joined the cast of Star Trek Beyond. The movie, the third installment of the rebooted sci-fi franchise, is currently in production in Vancouver and reunited the main cast including Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana, Simon Pegg, Anton Yelchin, Karl Urban and John Cho.

Idris Elba and Sofia Boutella are the new additions. Details on Taslim's role are being kept underground but sources say it is a key part opposite Elba, who plays a villain. Justin Lin is directing the movie that has a July 8, 2016 release date.

Taslim was discovered by director Gareth Evans and co-starred with Iko Uwais in the director's 2011's cult action movie, The Raid, in which he played a police officer. Taslim, who is repped by ICM Partners, worked with Lin when he played a bad guy in the director's Fast & Furious 6.

'Fast & Furious 6' Martial Arts Actor Joe Taslim Joins 'Star Trek Beyond' (Exclusive)

Update: June 26, 2015

Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto Signed Up for STAR TREK 4

Zachary-Quinto-Chris-PIne-062615-Dragonlord.jpg

Per THR, Paramount's deals with the actors became a point of contention for Star Trek 3. The Enterprise crew received only nominal raises for Star Trek Into Darkness as Paramount argued that Star Trek - which grossed $385.7 million - was not a runaway, billon-dollar success like other franchises (e.g. Transformers). Into Darkness grossed an impressive $467 million but again wasn't in the realm of other blockbusters, so when it came time to make Star Trek Beyond, Paramount was again hoping to give the actors small raises but there was an issue.

Some of the Trek actors and their representatives argued that under California law, "a personal services contract cannot bind someone for more than seven years." Since they made their initial deals-which included options for two sequels-in 2007, the actors were arguing that the old deals were arguably invalid and had expired in 2014. Paramount disputed this claim, but with no one wanting an ugly legal battle, the two sides came to a compromise.

THR reports that Paramount ultimately made some concessions to actors which included a combination of raises and better performance bonuses, with Chris Pine landing the biggest deal that sees him making $6 million for Star Trek Beyond. Pine made $600,000 for the first film and $1.5 million for the second, and Paramount was looking to set him at $3 million for Trek 3.

But as part of the compromise, Paramount was given contract options for Pine and Zachary Quinto to return for Star Trek 4, which insures that the central pairing remains intact should the studio make another Trek movie. No word on whether this option also includes Zoe Saldana, but since her profile has been significantly raised thanks to Guardians of the Galaxy, one hopes she fared well in the deals also.

'Star Trek 3' Stars Score Big Raises as Captain Kirk and Spock Sign for Fourth Movie

Update: April 21, 2015

STAR TREK XIII Confirmed to Be Titled STAR TREK BEYOND

Star-Trek-Beyond-Unofficial-Logo-Dragonlord.jpg

It appears that Star Trek Beyond may be the title of the upcoming Star Trek film, lucky number 13 in the franchise. As far as the storyline is concerned, the title suggests that the new film will venture farther out into the galaxy than we have seen in the previous two Abrams films, as co-writer Simon Pegg has been hinting at for some time now.

TrekMovie.com has it on good authority that Star Trek Beyond is being used for the title of the new Trek film. What we do know is that the name has been registered with the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA), a step that typically signifies a title has been settled on for an upcoming movie. It is possible, given Bad Robot's history of secrecy and pretense, that this is merely a decoy name registered to stir up conjecture amongst the media and fans. But, the official title will need to be registered with the MPAA before the film's release, and given the timeline, it seems likely that such a decision would be made now.

Does this mean our heroes will venture "beyond" where they have before? As suggested by the film's co-writer Simon Pegg, fans may get to see a more exploration-focused, less Earth-centric storyline. Pegg said in a recent interview to Den of Geek and The Guardian:

"So for me it's now about the spirit of adventure and exploration and also, in modern terms, just how would that be for people, to be away for that amount of time and that kind of stuff. And it's a story about frontierism and adventure and optimism and fun, and that's where we want to take it, you know. Where no man has gone before - where no one has gone before, sensibly corrected for a slighter more enlightened generation. But yeah, that's the mood at the moment."

[Update 6/29/15: Director Justin Lin has tweeted the first behind-the-scenes image from Star Trek 3. Lin's hashtag basically confirms the title of Star Trek Beyond.]

'Star Trek' Sequel to Be Titled 'Star Trek Beyond'; Title Now Registered with MPAA

Update: April 10, 2015

KINGSMAN'S Sofia Boutella Lands Lead Role in STAR TREK 3

Sofia-Boutella-Star-Trek-3-Dragonlord.jpg

After a sharp turn as the sexy blade-legged assassin in the Matthew Vaughn-directed hit Kingsman: The Secret Service, Sofia Boutella has been set for a lead role in Star Trek 3, which Justin Lin is directing from a script by cast member Simon Pegg and Doug Jung (creator of the TNT series Dark Blue).

Prying loose info on this project is difficult, so it's still unclear whether she's on the side of good or bad, but Deadline reports she's got a lead role in the Paramount/Skydance film produced by Bad Robot that's based on the Gene Roddenberry series. Paramount has dated the pic's release for July 8, 2016.

Star Trek 3 is set to open on July 8, 2016. Justin Lin is directing with a script from Simon Pegg and Doug Jung. Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Anton Yelchin, Karl Urban and Zoe Saldana are all set to return. There was a report claiming that Idris Elba was in talks to play the villain, but according to Pegg, he's not playing a Klingon as some suspected.

'Kingsman: The Secret Service's Sofia Boutella Lands Female Lead In 'Star Trek 3'

Last edited:
Update: March 25, 2015

Idris Elba in Early Talks to Play the Villain in STAR TREK 3

Idris-Elba-Star-Trek-032515b-Dragonlord.jpg

Idris Elba is reportedly in early talks to play the villain role in Paramount Picture's Star Trek 3. Details about the Elba's potential character are being kept under wraps. Rumors suggest that the Klingnons will be featured in the film, as they haven't made much of an appearance in the rebooted film franchise so far, but Variety was unable to confirm those rumors with sources.

The film will be the third set in the rebooted Star Trek timeline launched by J.J. Abrams' Star Trek and Star Trek Into Darkness. Justin Lin is poised to take over as director for the franchise's third installment, with Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Simon Pegg, Karl Urban, Zoe Saldana and Anton Yelchin all set to return as the crew of the Enterprise. Abrams will produce, with Pegg and Doug Jung co-writing the script. Star Trek 3 is scheduled for release on July 8, 2016.

Elba is best known for his roles in HBO's The Wire and BBC One's Luther, but has become a favorite of genre movie fans for his role as the Marvel Cinematic Universe's Heimdall in Thor and Thor: The Dark World, and for his role in Guillermo del Toro's Pacific Rim.

[Update 7/14/15: Idria Elba has confirmed reports that he's starring in the upcoming Star Trek Beyond movie by appearing in a charity video with Star Trek co-stars.]

Idris Elba in Early Talks to Play the Villain in Jon M. Chu's Star Trek 3 (Exclusive)

Update: February 27, 2015

Leonard Nimoy, Spock of STAR TREK, Passes Away at Age 83

2mo87df.jpg

Leonard Nimoy, the Hollywood renaissance man who fashioned a long and prosperous career as the supremely logical and cerebral science officer Mr. Spock from Star Trek, has died. He was 83.

The actor tweeted on Jan. 14, 2014, that he had lung disease. "I quit smoking 30 years ago. Not soon enough. I have COPD. Grandpa says, quit now!!" As he always did, Nimoy signed off with the acronym LLAP, short for "Live Long and Prosper," his Star Trek character's most celebrated phrase.

Nimoy died Friday at 8:40 a.m. at his home in Bel Air. His granddaughter, Dani, said on Twitter that the cause of death was end-stage chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

Nimoy was a vagabond TV character actor when he made his debut as the somber Spock on NBC's Star Trek, which debuted on Sept. 8, 1966. He went on to play or voice the half-Vulcan, half-human on live-action shows, cartoons, films, video games, etc. all the way through J.J. Abrams' movie sequel Star Trek Into Darkness (2013) -- marking an amazing span of nearly 50 years.

In the 1970s, Nimoy replaced Martin Landau in the cast of CBS' Mission: Impossible series, playing Paris, a master of disguise. And recently, he recurred on the Fox science-fiction drama Fringe as William Bell, the founder of the Massive Dynamic corporation.

Leonard Nimoy, Original Spock of 'Star Trek,' Dies at 83 After Suffering Lung Disease

Update: January 21, 2015

Simon Pegg Writing New STAR TREK 3 Draft With Doug Jung

Simon-Pegg-Star-Trek-012115-Dragonlord.jpg

Simon Pegg has been set to co-write Star Trek 3, the film that just got Fast & Furious director Justin Lin aboard after Roberto Orci exited the helmer chair. He will co-write the script with Doug Jung, creator of the TNT series Dark Blue. Jung has also written for TV shows Banshee and Big Love.

Pegg's already a pivotal player in the JJ Abrams-produced Paramount/Skydance pic; he also will reprise his role as Scotty, the engineering wiz originated by James Doohan in the original 1960s Gene Roddenberry series. Don't be surprised if Scotty beams up further on the call sheet. Jung also wrote for Bad Robot and Paramount a film called Diamond, which is how he got the gig. They are just getting underway.

Pegg certainly has the writing credits to back him up for such a job. With Edgar Wright, he's scripted the Wright-directed Cornetto trilogy consisting of Shaun Of The Dead, Hot Fuzz and The World's End, as well as Run Fatboy Run. Star Trek 3 hits theaters on July 8th, 2016.

Simon Pegg Writing New Draft of STAR TREK 3 with 'Dark Blue' Co-Creator Doug Jung

Update: December 25, 2014

Roberto Orci Confirms Not Writing STAR TREK 3, Disses Haters

Roberto-Orci-Star-Trek-122514-Dragonlord.jpg

Several days ago when it was reported that Justin Lin (Fast Five, Fast & Furious 6) replaced Roberto Orci as the director of Star Trek 3 many websites added that Orci will still serve as a writer and producer on the film. This caused a bit of confusion for Star Trek fans and Orci decided to visit trekmovie.com and leave a message in their comment section to clarify his involvement. "I'm producing, Nothing more or less," Orci wrote.

He also took a moment to defend the alternate Star Trek timeline he helped to create, which some fans still haven't embraced. Orci wrote, "Stop blaming BR (Bad Robot). It was my idea so that you would not know what was gonna happen next. Nothing more or less. I Stand behind it. And it, again, is the reason why I make movies and you don't."

This isn't the first time Orci slammed the haters of the new Star Trek movies. In September 2013, Orci also had a little meltdown in a message board. "Having said that, two biggest Star Treks in a row with best reviews is hardly a description of 'broken,'" Orci wrote. "And frankly, your tone and attidude make it hard for me to listen to what might otherwise be decent notions to pursue in the future. As I love to say, there is a reason why I get to write the movies, and you don't. You prove the cliche of shitty fans. And rude in the process. So, as Simon Pegg would say: FUCK OFF!"

Roberto Orci Confirms He's Not Writing STAR TREK and Leaves a Message to Haters

Last edited:
Update: December 23, 2014

Paramount Sets July 8, 2016 Release Date for STAR TREK 3

Star-Trek-Enterprise-122314-Dragonlord.jpg

Star Trek 3 will beam into theaters on July 8, 2016. Fast & Furious franchise director Justin Lin will direct the third installment in the Paramount Pictures, Bad Robot and Skydance Productions franchise. He takes the helm from J.J. Abrams, who is directing the new Star Wars film Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens. Lin replaces Roberto Orci, who exited the project in early December.

The most recent film, Star Trek: Into Darkness, earned $467.4 million worldwide after opening in May 2013. The first film in the rebooted Star Trek franchise grossed $385.7 million in 2009. The film currently has the July 8 release date to itself.

It's a bit surprising that Paramount would go with a July opening after both Star Trek and Star Trek Into Darkness performed well in May, but when you look at the competition, it's pretty clear that the studio just gave the film the best possible shot at hitting it big. Captain America: Civil War and X-Men: Apocalypse will both likely be well on their way out as July rolls around and then Star Trek 3 will have a month until Suicide Squad comes out.

Paramount Pictures Announces July 8, 2016 Release Date for Justin Lin's STAR TREK 3

Update: December 22, 2014

FAST & FURIOUS Director Justin Lin to Helm STAR TREK 3

Justin-Lin-Star-Trek-3-122214-Dragonlord.jpg

The search for a Star Trek 3 director is over. Justin Lin, director of multiple Fast and Furious films as well as True Detective season 2, will helm the sci-fi sequel, tentatively set for release in 2016. He replaces Roberto Orci, who remains attached as a producer. Deadline broke the news.

Lin is currently directing a few episodes of True Detective for HBO. After that, he was supposed to do a new Bourne movie with Jeremy Renner, but that got postponed once Paul Greengrass and Matt Damon decided to return to the franchise. Rumor was Lin was then considering doing a few more Fast and Furious movies but that's, obviously, not going to happen.

It's those Fast and Furious movies that likely got Lin this job. They proved not only can he work with a huge ensemble and budget, it proves he has the ability to take a fledgeling franchise and pump it full of adrenaline. After 2 Fast 2 Furious, most thought the Fast and Furious franchise was dead. Lin's first movie, Tokyo Drift, reinvented the series and kept it alive. But it was the fourth film, Fast and Furious the exploded it back into the stratosphere. Since then, he's been somehow making the movies bigger and more exciting with each installment.

That'll be Lin's job on Star Trek 3. J.J. Abrams gave the franchise a great start, but the second film is largely disliked by fans of the franchise and first film. Paramount wants to make new Star Trek movies forever and they'll need a big threequl, on the franchise's 50th anniversary, to do that.

Search Is Finally Over: FAST & FURIOUS' Justin Lin Set to Direct STAR TREK 3

Update: December 16, 2014

Paramount Wants STAR TREK To Be More Like GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY

Guardians-Galaxy-Star-Trek-Dragonlord-1.jpg

Badass Digest has heard two different narratives about what happened in Roberto Orci's final days on Star Trek 3: one is that he quit because Paramount's notes on his script were untenable and the other was that Paramount shut the picture down a month ago and spent the time talking to other filmmakers before officially taking Orci off the project. Edgar Wright was offered the movie, but the site assumes his experience with Ant-Man made him unwilling to pick up someone else's unfinished film.

But what would have made Orci quit? What was the source of the disagreement between Orci and Paramount? The answer is Guardians of the Galaxy. That's the movie that has a bug up Paramount's ass, and they want Star Trek 3 to feel more like Guardians. This comes on the heels of the first two movies being respectable, solid earners but not the kind of home runs Paramount needs. They want the third film to be huge, and they want it to be huge overseas especially. They look at Rocket and Groot and then they look at Keenser and they wonder why he doesn't have more of a role.

Orci has said that he'll still be involved, but considering the film's current situation is all his fault - a year ago he set himself up as an obstacle to new directors coming aboard, his fights with the studio have left the film without a script very late in the process - it'll be interesting to see how happy Paramount is to have his input. It's also hard to imagine a guy who has no directing experience getting a shot at directing this movie - the 50th anniversary movie for a franchise he claims to love - and just walking away like this.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY Is The Reason Why Roberto Orci Left STAR TREK 3

Update: December 9, 2014

Roberto Orci Comments on No Longer Directing STAR TREK 3

Roberto-Orci-Star-Trek-120914-Dragonlord.jpg

Last week, it was reported that Roberto Orci was stepping down as the director of Star Trek 3, and the news was greeted by fans with cautious optimism. It seems like Paramount came to its senses in not letting a guy who hadn't even directed a YouTube short film to take the reins of a major blockbuster, although previous reports say that the script was the big problem, not his glaring lack of experience. However, it's not like he was kicked off the lot or even off the project.

Orci confirmed his continued involvement on the website Trek Movie, and also commented on the rumors regarding the script and the current status of the film. Orci posted the following comments on the Star Trek fansite TrekMovie.com: "I will be very involved. Still excited to make Trek 3! And on time. We'll find the right director! No time travel was ever considered, FYI."

By claiming that time travel was not a part of his pitch, Orci is denying the claim by Badass Digest that the story would have involved the Vulcans wanting to go back and stop the destruction of their planet, a time travel plot point that would have allowed Chris Pine and William Shatner to share the screen. In the comments section, someone wrote "You seem to have forgotten Kirk's advice to Picard: 'Don't let them do ANYTHING to take you out of that chairs,' to which Orci responded: "Have not forgotten. On the contrary, factored into decision. Their are bigger chairs to consider."

Roberto Orci Comments on No Longer Directing STAR TREK 3, Denies Time Travel Plot

Last edited:
Update: December 5, 2014

Roberto Orci Reportedly Beaming Off STAR TREK as Director

Star-Trek-Into-Darkness-Enterprise-120414-Dragonlord.jpg

Roberto Orci is beaming off the bridge of the Starship Enterprise on Star Trek 3. Rampant rumors are swirling and Deadline has confirmed there is fire behind the smoke that he won't be directing. According to the site, Edgar Wright and others are on a short list to take the job. Orci will stay on the project as producer. There are no details on Orci's decision to vacate the director's chair, though the fact that he will stay on as a producer may indicate that it was his decision, at least in part.

You will recall that Orci got the job to replace JJ Abrams, his first big gig after Orci parted company with longtime partner Alex Kurtzman (though they continue on TV projects). Orci stepped off helming Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. This was a big career coup, the latest first-time director taking on a massive project, which has been hit (Snow White And The Huntsman) and miss (Transcendence, John Carter, 47 Ronin). Star Trek 3 is expected to shoot early next year for a release in the summer of 2016.

[Update: Badass Digest claims that their sources tells them the script for Star Trek 3 was one of the problems which factored in Orci leaving the project as director. Paramount has shut the production down last month and sent home all the design people while they battled over the direction of the screenplay.

Their sources tell them that the script Orci was working on saw the Enterprise, the Vulcans and a new alien race competing to get a time travel device. The Vulcans want to go back and stop the destruction of their planet, and the time travel schtick is what would allow Chris Pine and William Shatner to share the screen.]

Roberto Orci Exits STAR TREK 3 as Director; Edgar Wright and Others on Short List

Update: October 3, 2014

STAR TREK 3 Adds Claudio Miranda; Shoot in Vancouver, Seoul

Star-Trek-Into-Darkness-100314-Dragonlord.jpg

Oscar winning cinematographer Claudio Miranda (Life of Pi, TRON: Legacy) will be joining writer/director Roberto Orci behind the camera for Star Trek 3. This marks the first time a Star Trek movie has ever been shot digitally. The film is expected to shoot early next year for a release in the summer of 2016. Miranda will replace prior Trek lenser Daniel Mindel, who is currently shooting Star Wars: Episode VII with director J.J. Abrams.

Unlike Star Trek Into Darkness, which retained most of the behind-the-scenes team from the 2009 Star Trek movie, Roberto Orci's 2016 Star Trek film will feature some new faces. Part of this is Bob putting his signature on the film and part of it is due to how some of the people who worked the last two Trek films are working with JJ Abrams on Star Wars: Episode VII.

TrekMovie also goes on to mention that some of the film will be shot in Seoul, South Korea (while maintaining a base in the more traditional shooting city of Vancouver). Seoul Mayor Seoul Mayor Park Won-soon confirmed this on his Facebook page. "Today I met with Jeffrey Chernov, producer of Star Trek 3, at the Paramount Pictures Studio and agreed to film a portion of the upcoming movie in Seoul."

Cinematographer Claudio Miranda Boards STAR TREK 3, to Shoot in Vancouver, Seoul

Update: October 6, 2014

Details on William Shatner's Cameo Scene in STAR TREK 3

Chris-Pine-William-Shatner-100614-Dragonlord.jpg

For the past few weeks there have been whispers, an unconvincing denial, and then some soft confirmation that William Shatner's cameo Star Trek 3 was coming together after being left out of the first two films in J.J. Abrams' Bad Robot franchise reboot. And now Badass Digest has what seems to be some solid details on the scene itself.

Per Devin Faraci at Badass Digest, Shatner will share the screen with Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto and Leonard Nimoy, which should make for an interesting convergence of old and new:

"My sources are now telling me that not only will Shatner be in the movie, his scene will have him meeting Chris Pine. Also in that scene: Zachary Quinto and Leonard Nimoy. But if my sources are steering me correct this won't be original timeline Spock – it'll be future alt-timeline Kirk and Spock. Basically the scene will have Kirk and Spock interacting with their future selves."

[Update: William Shatner commented on Twitter: "I'm baaaaccckk!!!"

Details on William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy's Cameo Scene for STAR TREK 3

Update: September 27, 2014

William Shatner Confirms Being Offered STAR TREK 3 Cameo

William-Shatner-Star-Trek-092714-Dragonlord.jpg

Despite tweeting out a denial that anybody had contacted him about Star Trek 3, William Shatner confirmed today that he had indeed been contacted about Star Trek 3 by none other than J.J. Abrams. Shatner said that while he was visiting Australia a couple weeks ago, Abrams called him from London, where he's currently shooting Star Wars Episode VII. Shatner said Abrams told him, "I'm calling because the director of Star Trek, the next movie, has had an idea where you might be involved, so I'm calling to find out whether you would be interested."

Shatner said he told Abrams, "It depends on what you do with the character, but I would be delighted." Shatner said that Abrams warned him that he couldn't say anything to anybody, and Shatner agreed not to even tell his wife.

However, when Shatner got back from Australia, he said, "It's all over the Internet that the director had held an interview and said they want Shatner and Nimoy to be in the next movie. I'll bet you J.J.'s frothing at the mouth at this point. So the news is out that they have an idea that they want Leonard and myself... they might want Leonard and myself in it. But I would love to do it. But how do you get me fifty years later into the movie? I mean how do you rationalize it. I know it's science fiction, but even I couldn't come up with an idea. So that's the news on that."

William Shatner Confirms He Was Contacted by J.J. Abrams for STAR TREK 3 Cameo

Last edited:
Update: September 22, 2014

William Shatner Could Possibly Make a Cameo in STAR TREK 3

William-Shatner-Star-Trek-092214-Dragonlord.jpg

Leonard Nimoy has ended up being integral to the Star Trek reboot films, but William Shatner hasn't come near them yet. There was a cameo written into the first film for him, but it was dropped before shooting, and there was no place for him in Star Trek Into Darkness. Shatner himself has been vocal about wanting to appear in one of these movies, and it seems like with professed Trekkie Roberto Orci helming Star Trek 3 he may be getting his chance.

Badass Digest's Devin Faraci is reporting that the script for Star Trek 3 includes a scene that reteams Shatner and Nimoy onscreen as Kirk and Spock for the first time in canon since 1991's Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. It would be a pretty huge moment for fans of the franchise, and likely the last time we'll ever see Shatner as James T. Kirk in official continuity.

Will it happen? The movie is still a ways out from shooting, but unlike the cameo intended for 2009's Star Trek this appearance is plot-driven and integral enough that it might just survive any future revisions. And if it does, will Shatner - who can be prickly - agree to the appearance?

According to star Zachary Quinto, filming will begin on the third installment of the rebooted franchise within the next six months. "I think it's on the horizon," Quinto who, who plays Spock in the series, said on The Today Show. "Things are rumbling, so I have a feeling that we will be in production sometime in the next six months."

STAR TREK 3 Might Include Cameo by William Shatner - If He Decides to Show Up

Update: June 26, 2014

Director Roberto Orci Says STAR TREK 3 Set in Deep Space

2075p4j.jpg

Paramount is expected to release Star Trek 3 in the summer of 2016, to tie into the 50th anniversary of Star Trek. The main cast, led by Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto, are expected to return. Star Trek Into Darkness ended with the USS Enterprise setting off on a five-year exploratory mission, right where the original 1960s series started. Roberto Orci, who graduated to Star Trek 3 director after co-writing Star Trek and Into Darkness, teased where the sequel will take the crew.

Orci said on the Humans from Earth podcast [via Badass Digest]: "In [Into Darkness] they set out finally where the original series started. The first two films - especially the 2009 [Star Trek] - was an origin story. It was about them coming together. So they weren't the characters they were in the original series. They were growing into them and that continues on in the second movie. So in this movie they are closer than they are to the original series characters that you have ever seen. They have set off on their five-year mission. So their adventure is going to be in deep space."

Director Roberto Orci Reveals STAR TREK 3 Details, Says Film Set in Deep Space

Update: May 13, 2014

Roberto Orci Confirmed to Direct STAR TREK 3 for Paramount

Roberto-Orci-Director-Star-Trek-051314-Dragonlord.jpg

After weeks of rumblings that he was the frontrunner, sources have told Variety that Skydance and Paramount have tapped Roberto Orci to direct Paramount and Skydance's Star Trek 3. Orci is currently writing the story with J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay and had been campaigning to replace J.J. Abrams as director for some time. Abrams is busy with directing the next installment of the Star Wars franchise and will only be producing this pic.

Abrams had given Orci his blessing, as he felt comfortable handing the reins of the sci-fi series to someone within the core creative group of the franchise. Abrams is focused on directing Star Wars: Episode VII, so he'll only serve as a producer on Star Trek 3 along with his Bad Robot partner Bryan Burk and Skydance principal David Ellison. Orci is joined on the project by screenwriters Patrick McKay and J.D. Payne, who will help him pen the next adventure of the Enterprise crew.

Plot details are unknown but the cast, which includes Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto, are expected to return. The news comes on the heals of Orci and long-time directing partner Alex Kurtzman going their separate ways on future film-making endeavors (although their TV production company is staying intact). Sources had told Variety both were looking to direct more pics and that going solo would be in the best interest of both parties.

First-Time Director Roberto Orci Confirmed to Helm STAR TREK 3 for Paramount

Update: October 1, 2013

J.J. Abrams Apologizes for the Many Lens Flares in STAR TREK

Star-Trek-Lens-Flare-Galore-Dragonlord.jpg

Over the last four years since J.J. Abrams directed and delivered Star Trek, Super 8 and the sequel Star Trek Into Darkness, many people have complained about his overuse of lens flare in the movies. In an interview with CraveOnline just a few weeks ago (likely for the Blu-ray release of Into Darkness), Abrams finally manned up and admitted he has a problem: he's addicted to lens flares. J.J. explains it was his wife, of all people, who finally got him to realize just how much he went overboard with lens flares:

"I know I get a lot of grief for that. But I'll tell you, there are times when I'm working on a shot, I think, 'Oh this would be really cool... with a lens flare.' But I know it's too much, and I apologize. I'm so aware of it now. I was showing my wife an early cut of Star Trek Into Darkness and there was this one scene where she was literally like, 'I just can't see what's going on. I don't understand what that is.' I was like, 'Yeah, I went too nuts on this.'"

"This is how stupid it was. I actually had to use ILM [Industrial Light & Magic] to remove lens flare in a couple of shots, which is, I know, moronic. But I think admitting you're an addict is the first step towards recovery."

J.J. Abrams Finally Apologizes for All the Lens Flares in STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS

Last edited:
Update: September 8, 2013

STAR TREK Co-Writer Bob Orci's Meltdown on Message Board

2u41wy1.jpg

A large portion of Star Trek fans have begun to express their displeasure with J.J. Abrams' Star Trek Into Darkness. Just last month, fans attending the Las Vegas Star Trek Convention voted it the worst in the franchise, while a gathering of Trekkies at a Seattle convention only ranked it 6th best.

Last week, Joseph Dickerson of TrekMovie.com posted an editorial entitled: "Star Trek is broken - Here are ideas on how to fix it," which focused on some of the major complaints that Trekkies have had with J.J. Abrams' Star Trek universe, and especially the last film, Star Trek Into Darkness. This didn't sit well with Roberto "Bob" Orci, who was a co-writer of the past two Star Trek films. He added his two cents in the comment section, which you can read below:

310. boborci - September 2, 2013

I think the article above is akin to a child acting out against his parents. Makes it tough for some to listen, but since I am a loving parent, I read these comments without anger or resentment, no matter how misguided.

Having said that, two biggest Star Treks in a row with best reviews is hardly a description of "broken." And frankly, your tone and attidude make it hard for me to listen to what might otherwise be decent notions to pursue in the future. Sorry, Joseph. As I love to say, there is a reason why I get to write the movies, and you don't.

312. boborci - September 2, 2013

308. Ahmed, I wish you knew what you were talking about. I listened more than any other person behind the Trek franchise has EVER listened. And guess what? Glad I did becuase it lead to 2 biggest Trek's ever.

You think action and thinking are mutually exclusive. Ok, then. Pitch me Into Darkness. Pitch me the plot, and let's comapre it to other pitches. Go ahead. Let's see if you actually understood the movie. Tell me what happened?

318. boborci - September 2, 2013

312 Shitty Dodge. STID has infinetly more social commentary than Raiders in every Universe, and I say that with Harrison Ford being a friend. You lose credibility big time when you don't honestly engage with the [frick]ING WRITER OF THE MOVIE ASKING YOU AN HONEST QUESTION. You prove the cliche of shitty fans. And rude in the process. So, as Simon Pegg would say: F*CK OFF!

398. boborci - September 2, 2013

don’ take me too seriously. if you've been on this board for the last 5 years (as I have been) you know that twice a year I explode at the morons. today, there seemed to be a congregation, so it seemed like a good time.

you are the most listened to fans ever. That doesn't mean you will get is to do what you want. just means what I said: I listened. Then we decided, having heard as many opinions as possible. To paraphrase of one of my great and beloved heroes, George W. Bush, "we're the deciders".

1437. boborci - September 7, 2013

Joseph, Wanted to make something clear in the middle of this moment. I hold nothing against you. I have loved Trekmovie from day one, and your article does not change that. I respect the site even more for that. And I hope some remember that out of the thousands (literally) of valuable interactions I've had here with great Trekkies, my inelegence represents less than one percent of my interactions.

STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS Screenwriter Has Meltdown, Tells Trekkies To "F*ck Off!"

Update: Roberto Orci posted on Twitter he was sorry that he reacted that way:
"not my finest moment. agreed. what can I say? i'm more than half human."

Update: August 22, 2013

Simon Pegg Says F-You to Star Trek Into Darkness Haters

Simon-Pegg-600x200-Dragonlord.jpg

Star Trek Into Darkness grossed just under half a billion dollars worldwide and currently holds an 87 percent Fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Yet during a Star Trek fan convention in Las Vegas earlier this month, attendees ranked Star Trek Into Darkness as the worst of the Star Trek movies.

It was interesting watching Simon Pegg -- who has played Scotty in the last two Trek films from director J.J. Abrams -- wrestle with that information. Pegg, who is one of the most prolific nerds on the planet, actually does get where the fans are coming from, but that didn't stop the 43-year-old from defending his film with lots of passion (and a bit of colorful language).

"I think it's like when you tire of an indie band that you love because, suddenly, they get a number one single. You don't necessarily start disliking their music, but you stop liking them because you're pissed off that they're famous, or whatever. Star Trek Into Darkness is the most successful Star Trek movie ever made. It is, in terms of what it took at the box office and how many people went to see it. More people saw that film than any iteration of Star Trek that existed before. That is probably slightly annoying to some Star Trek fans -- which I totally understand."

"And you know what ... it absolutely isn't the worst Star Trek movie. It's asinine, you know? It's ridiculous. And frustrating, as well, because a lot of hard work and love went into that movie, and all J.J. wanted to do was make a film that people really enjoyed. So, to be subject to that level of sort of, like, crass fucking ire, I just say fuck you."

Pegg is also very passionate about Star Wars, specifically his love of the original trilogy and his hatred of the prequels. Read more by clicking on the link below.

Simon Pegg on The World's End, Star Trek Into Darkness Haters and Star Wars Trilogies

Update: August 20, 2013

Watch the Honest Trailer for STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS

Into-Darkness-Half-Naked-Alice-Eve-Dragonlord.jpg

Just in time for the digital release of the film on iTunes, the hilarious folks over at Screen Junkies have unveiled a re-cut version of the Star Trek Into Darkness trailer. The five-minute video calls out many popular criticisms of the film - including the portrayal of the female lead characters, the overuse of lens flare, and the numerous references to Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.

While some Honest Trailers may be hit or miss, this one for Star Trek Into Darkness is pretty spot on. The trailer also features animation from How It Should Have Ended (HISHE). The highlight is not so much the spoof of Into Darkness but instead the predictions for where Star Trek 3 may go. Don't forget the Gorn is a test and grab some humpback whales for later! Classic.

"For fans of Star Trek ... Star Trek Into Darkness was one of the summer's biggest let downs. We boldly go and revisit the action-packed tale of lens flare, over-recycled Trek cannon, and frozen torpedo body nonsense."

Watch the Honest Trailer for J.J. Abrams' Star Trek Into Darkness

Update: August 5, 2013

Karl Urban Wants More Space Exploration in STAR TREK 3

Karl-Urban-Star-Trek-080513-Dragonlord.jpg

Star Trek Into Darkness took a lot of well-deserved flak for co-opting an iconic villain and plotline from Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, remained stubbornly vague when pressed on related questions prior to the film's release and then failed to execute said plot points in the film in any sort of impactful way.

One highlight of Star Trek Into Darkness was that its ending suggests the Enterprise crew is finally going to go, ya know, into space. Trek's Karl Urban recently voiced a wish shared by many fans about the upcoming film, saying (via IGN):

"What I really believe we should do now is strive for originality. Because in Star Trek Into Darkness we took one of the most revered and loved adversaries of the Enterprise and put him in there, and did a story that had all of these wonderful nods to films from the past, and episodes from the past."

"I really think that what we should do from here, in my personal opinion, is strive to be original. Strive to be something different and new. You know, let's not forget that Star Trek as envisioned was about space exploration. And it would be really wonderful to harness the spirit of that and apply it to the next film, so that we do something different than a revenge-based picture."

Karl Urban Hopes for an Original Story and More Space Exploration for STAR TREK 3

Pegg can fuck off. Fans don't hate it because its popular, they hate it because its not an actual Star Trek film. It's got the name and the characters, and that's where it ends.

Everything is new generation.

Bond isn't really Bond. Batman wasn't really Batman. STAR TREK is now STAR WARS and I can only imagine Abrams' STAR WARS will be TRANSFORMERS. It does feel like we're in a derivative fanboy generation of filmmakers, but I'm not sure it's not because we as an audience have been around the block a few times.

I'm feeling a bit hypocritical here.

I just went on about how people should accept cinematic Wolverine as different from comic book Wolverine, because they're very different, and they're both pretty good.

I have a hard time accepting the new Star Trek movies, though. I find them lazy and uncreative, and they don't really feel like Trek even though they stole most of material from existing movies.

I'm not actually a fan of Star Trek movies in general, though. The only one I think is a great movie is Wrath of Khan, and the only other one I enjoyed from start to finish was The Motion Picture. I consider all the other ones campy B movies.
I think the most jarring thing is how much science fiction and- as a result- Star Trek have transformed. You have to keep in mind that, when the first series came out, "Campy B movies" was the ceiling of capability that culture really regarded for the genre. Television series like Star Trek got very little funding, and were widely dismissed as childish fun by the mainstream. That's what 99% of science fiction had been in 1966 when the first one launched, and considering ST's immense impact on culture, it's easy to forget that despite it's cult following it was a commercial failure, and was canceled after only three seasons. People just didn't take the genre seriously. Shows like Star Trek and The Twilight Zone before it snuck into the cracks and commanded serious, philosophical musings beneath the patina of trivial camp. I remember watching a documentary where one of Rod Serling's original collaborators said that he knew some of the "monsters" appeared ridiculously cheesy in the show, but they were doing the best they could; they just didn't have the technology or the budget to convey the robust ideas the writers were generating.

So the truth is that it would impossible for Abrams to reproduce this serial fidelity that some Trekkies are castigating him for failing to reproduce. TNG hit it on the head: Star Wars changed everything. It didn't just change the film industry, but it changed the very lens with which science fiction was regarded. I know that you're personally aware of how much amazing, serious science fiction was published in the 60's and 70's, but how many National Book Awards or Pulitzers was Philip K. Dick winning? How much did the genre's market penetration increase post-2001: A Space Odyssey? It was Star Wars that transformed the landscape. Meanwhile, Star Trek was evolving to rival SW as the most commercially successful sci-fi franchise in history.

So now Star Trek, instead of being belonging to this dismissed, campy, niche genre belongs to what is overwhelmingly the most successful critical genre of all time. Last I checked, even adjusting for inflation, something like 23 of the Top 30 grossing films of all time were science fiction or fantasy. The double-ot version of Battlestar Galactica is one of the highest rated series of all time on sites like Metacritic. Movies like LOTR are being nominated for Best Picture. Abrams can't will this away. He's creating his films in an entirely different environment. I strongly believe that if he made a film that emphasized philosophy and morality over special effects and action that it would be a commercial flop, and people would be calling it "boring". It is what it is. I don't blame JJ so much as I blame my generation. I love that science fiction and fantasy are taken more seriously; unfortunately we're the ones taking it more seriously, and we're not a serious people.

I really don't get why trekkies hate these movies. I think they are true to the Star Trek legacy and also go with the times of modern cinematography. Of course they will be significantly different from the series, they are movies after all.

I'm fine with shit with blowing up and being a faster-paced adventure movie as opposed to a hard science fiction show.

What I don't like is reusing classic scenes and retwisting shit that doesn't need to be done. I was on board for the first trek movie. I wanted to see what new stories and what new directions they could tell with established characters. I wanted a brand new frontier.

What we got was reruns and the original was done so much better.

Is Abrams going to retell Star Wars too? But this time when Leia gets frozen in carponite, Han will say he loves her and she'll answer back that she knows.

Back