Stance protecting against both leg kicks and leg takedowns simultaneously

Oh, KS. His legend lives on
What's with the inferiority complex? People mention karate here... and the embedded bias swells up like some of the recent national goings on.
<PlusJuan>

i was taught this and this is how I train my boxers. For mma i modify it by letting the fighter have one foot down and the other up, but which is which depends on circumstances of the moment. You can generate a lot more power and move your head better if you can comfortably settle in on one foot briefly.
It's rolls into footwork... which few in MMA can demonstrate.

Was watching some fighting alliance the other nite. Guys were plodding around like limp turkeys. And it wasn't 30 seconds before one of those turkeys took the other turkey down right off his whatever disaster of footwork he was doing. Guy punching air with no karate in sight to blame. Dumb AF. This scene MMA plays and replays over & over. <{MingNope}>Dumb AF.

Boxing footwork is boring & karate is taboo... what a direction for a forum.... <JRSmith40> Like a drunken sailor, the show must go on, I suppose AF.

Here an old school karate style... with the answer to protecting the legs against a take down... and through in low kicks too. Have no idea what Fhitoru karate it... Shito Ryu is Japanese & Okinawan which is which here dunno.
Shito-ryu Karate Stances - Busonjuku USA
•Jul 27, 2012

BusonjukuUSA
420 subscribers
SUBSCRIBE
Bigsby Sensei goes over some of the stances you will find in Fhitoru style karate. See more at

<{1-15}>What Rose should be doing to prepare for Andrade2.

Really, I like Cary. The simple stance & footwork is where you start. Thinks like proper stance, good weight distribution, well balanced... good and proper body mechanics in base footwork, etc... EDIT: The deliberated, measured steps, which can be quickened....
all boring, grunt-work which makes one great... and a boring forum so that's the tradeoff MMA wise.<4>

You've got those kickboxing people here.

Last edited:
square stance checks leg kicks best.......square stance sprawls good too..........bladed stance is probably the answer though. Happy medium of everything.

good observation about the side stance MMA guy and not getting his legs taken out in MMA. My guess is that due to takedowns and the possibilities of kicks being caught, even leg kicks, this overall greatly reduces the use and effectiveness of kicks in MMA. Of course they can and do get used effectively, but as a whole, MMA tends to favor a hand dominant striking style. You kick too much your gonna get taken down plain and simple, this is one reason we dont see the teep much in MMA at all. Its there, but not used as common place or frequently as in MT.

square stance checks leg kicks best.......square stance sprawls good too..........bladed stance is probably the answer though. Happy medium of everything.
You know the drill better than I.

good observation about the side stance MMA guy and not getting his legs taken out in MMA. My guess is that due to takedowns and the possibilities of kicks being caught, even leg kicks, this overall greatly reduces the use and effectiveness of kicks in MMA. Of course they can and do get used effectively, but as a whole, MMA tends to favor a hand dominant striking style.
My post was really not directed @ the match up of stance type thinking... but on another plane. There is a massive amount of thought in those karate stances... just not relatable to everyday MMA. With Judo we have the same approach... but not nearly the same degree.
You kick too much your gonna get taken down plain and simple, this is one reason we dont see the teep much in MMA at all. Its there, but not used as common place or frequently as in MT.
I really think the basics rule here... and then onto the kind of material you're talking about. Hardly anybody in MMA wants to put in the journeyman work on boxing stance, posture, footwork... then move onto the more involved tile-like exercise which I feel is really tricky. As a consequence... vulnerable.

{<huh}Wonder what MMA match coming right up best represents the theme of this thread?

Back