Stance protecting against both leg kicks and leg takedowns simultaneously

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Is there such a stance or do you have to pick one or the other? One might point to the UFC but even today, leg kicks are fairly underused, it seems. If Wonderboy can make it through an entire division with a side-on stance, leg kicks can't be that good or frequently used in MMA

I think it's a bit of a pick your poison thing really. I'm training an MMA fighter at the moment in Muay Thai, but the guy is competing in MMA and already has quite a side on stance - and seeing as he's comfortable and he moves well out of it, I'd have to be out of my mind to try to take him out of it and get him to stand 'correctly' for my purposes.

So I opt to keep his side on stance and am introducing him to side kicks. Thankfully he has a very strong wrestling game (a rarity in the UK).

Wonderboy did lose to the two best leg kickers he has faced, but neither of them were performances where his legs were really battered by them. His division just doesn't have an Aldo.

I think it's a bit of a pick your poison thing really. I'm training an MMA fighter at the moment in Muay Thai, but the guy is competing in MMA and already has quite a side on stance - and seeing as he's comfortable and he moves well out of it, I'd have to be out of my mind to try to take him out of it and get him to stand 'correctly' for my purposes.

So I opt to keep his side on stance and am introducing him to side kicks. Thankfully he has a very strong wrestling game (a rarity in the UK).

Wonderboy did lose to the two best leg kickers he has faced, but neither of them were performances where his legs were really battered by them. His division just doesn't have an Aldo.

Side-on stances are very underrated, especially against guys who are heavy on the boxing. Punchers hate facing it.

Here's a Cus'damoto boxer who admits he had to change his stance to be able to hang with Bill Wallace in sparring.

Of course the problem is that side-on stance is damn near useless against a wrestling clinch. It is the worst standing position you could ever clinch in.

The stance that would protect you for both simultaneously is the one that offers you the better mobility, you need to fight out of kicking range, you need good footwork, in and out

The stance that would protect you for both simultaneously is the one that offers you the better mobility, you need to fight out of kicking range, you need good footwork, in and out

mobility isn't good for takedown defense. You lose time dropping your gravity to stuff the takedown. Better to stay fairly low at all times.

mobility isn't good for takedown defense. You lose time dropping your gravity to stuff the takedown. Better to stay fairly low at all times.
They wouldn't shoot from a long distance

Good on your for working with the tools the guy brings to the table. Too many coaches want to change everything about a guy to fit a mold.
Jose Aldo disagrees

Is there such a stance or do you have to pick one or the other? One might point to the UFC but even today, leg kicks are fairly underused, it seems. If Wonderboy can make it through an entire division with a side-on stance, leg kicks can't be that good or frequently used in MMA

2 schools thought i prefer a more square stance if im fighting a good wrestler whos very good and ill take a more side vs average i can feed them a single and easly work out of it or use it to counter and end on top its hard to shoot a proper double from a more side stance denying them the proper entry and head placement but if they get to your far side hip like the chad mendes cross side double your in trouble due to your base being weaker when standing more sideways atm im high so if you dont understand ill respond back later

wait till you actually have to deal with a good wrestler theory sounds nice and peachy till theirs someone who is taking you down non stop and you realize how hard it truly is dealing with a wrestler

Of course the problem is that side-on stance is damn near useless against a wrestling clinch. It is the worst standing position you could ever clinch in.

Advantage of a side on stance is that it will encourage the opponent to shoot for a single which can be more easily defended, you can then limp leg your way out of it, like Aldo does

Good on your for working with the tools the guy brings to the table. Too many coaches want to change everything about a guy to fit a mold.

Cheers! I'll shoot you over some footage of him when I remember!

wait till you actually have to deal with a good wrestler theory sounds nice and peachy till theirs someone who is taking you down non stop and you realize how hard it truly is dealing with a wrestler

You don't even know what you are replying to. I never said it was easy. And I have wrestled a wrestler.

Last edited:
Advantage of a side on stance is that it will encourage the opponent to shoot for a single which can be more easily defended, you can then limp leg your way out of it, like Aldo does

Can't say I got convinced after how easily Woodley took Thompson down

You don't even know what you are replying to. I never said it was easy. And I have wrestled a wrestler.
Wrestling a wrestler isn’t the same as sparring one with punches kicks and your country is garbage for wrestling freestyle

This but it makes cross side doubles much easier to land cause your a bit more narrow when they go to your far side hip also it’s hard to defend body locks from side stance it’s much easier to get into it from their side stance

Can't say I got convinced after how easily Woodley took Thompson down

Times Woodley got on top of Thompson: first time, off of a leg kick; next two or three times, knockdowns from punches.

Doesn't really speak as much to either Woodley's takedowns, or Thompson's takedown defense, 'in of itself', as much as it was 'mmaing' in general.

Last edited:
Side-on stances are very underrated, especially against guys who are heavy on the boxing. Punchers hate facing it.

Here's a Cus'damoto boxer who admits he had to change his stance to be able to hang with Bill Wallace in sparring.

Damn Bill's kicks weren't doing shit lol.

Back