Stance protecting against both leg kicks and leg takedowns simultaneously

Spacetimes post was misleading.
This is editing media, not martial arts. Who cares... it was material worth discussing. Get past the journalism over martial substance.:confused:
He mentioned Bill Wallace then posted a video of some random bum right under it.
According to the boxer,,, the karate guy was a champ. My point was the boxer was prepared. Dunno why that's so hard for a forum... "yeah I see good point."o_O Lot's of inferiority complexes here.
My point still stands that kickboxer looked like shit in the video.
Yeah, you, me and the boxer all agree. What are you so steamed up about? That you felt dumb thinking you were all alone & weren't?:eek:
StanClarker you sound like a dyslexic 14 year old saying "cool AF" in every other post
Right... I'm criticized for being too long... I'm criticized for being too detailed, I'm criticized for being critical ,now I'm faulted for being brief & complimentary. Schizo's following me, that's my reward. Kinda cuul AF though.:cool:

This is editing media, not martial arts. Who cares... it was material worth discussing. Get past the journalism over martial substance.:confused:

According to the boxer,,, the karate guy was a champ. My point was the boxer was prepared. Dunno why that's so hard for a forum... "yeah I see good point."o_O Lot's of inferiority complexes here.

Yeah, you, me and the boxer all agree. What are you so steamed up about? That you felt dumb thinking you were all alone & weren't?:eek:

Right... I'm criticized for being too long... I'm criticized for being too detailed, I'm criticized for being critical ,now I'm faulted for being brief & complimentary. Schizo's following me, that's my reward. Kinda cuul AF though.:cool:
No one's following you. You posted like a dozen times in this thread. Half the replies in here are your own. It's like you're having a conversation with yourself. Everyone's criticizing you? Maybe take a step back and see why. If anyone sounds like a 'schizo' it's you, or perhaps you just have a poor grasp of the English language. Tbh I just skim through your posts, they hardly make any sense.

Spacetimes post was misleading. He mentioned Bill Wallace then posted a video of some random bum right under it. My point still stands that kickboxer looked like shit in the video. StanClarker you sound like a dyslexic 14 year old saying "cool AF" in every other post

If you listen to the audio and didn't fast forward to the fight, it wouldn't be .

lol I see KarateStylist hasn't changed, still shitting up the sub. I'm curious though was the last account banned or did you just give yourself a fresh start?

Is there such a stance or do you have to pick one or the other? One might point to the UFC but even today, leg kicks are fairly underused, it seems. If Wonderboy can make it through an entire division with a side-on stance, leg kicks can't be that good or frequently used in MMA

The only way to do both is to predominantly have your bodyweight on the back foot. But I, and anyone else will get a lot of pushback for suggesting this because like 90% of trainers in both Boxing, Kickboxing, Muay Thai, and MMA don't know how to teach fighting off the back foot.

But if you can find someone who knows how to teach it, hold on to them for dear life.

The only way to do both is to predominantly have your bodyweight on the back foot. But I, and anyone else will get a lot of pushback for suggesting this because like 90% of trainers in both Boxing, Kickboxing, Muay Thai, and MMA don't know how to teach fighting off the back foot.

But if you can find someone who knows how to teach it, hold on to them for dear life.

That's too vague. What are the parameters of the stance?

That's too vague. What are the parameters of the stance?

The parameters? First of all you're mostly on the balls, the front, of your feet. And not in an exaggerated way, mind you, but standing with the heels of your feet a centimeter or so off the ground. No more. It's very subtle.

Then you shift your bodyweight turning your hips, shoulders, and pivoting your feet to strike and move back accordingly.

when you strike you always want to make sure to have your bodyweight on the balls of the front foot, so you can quickly shift it back in response to a takedown attempt or lift it up to check a leg kick.

Basically: Front foot heavy like they teach in Muay Thai/basic MMA gyms = No good.

Flat Footed like they teach in a lot of bad boxing and MMA gyms = No good.

The only way to do both is to predominantly have your bodyweight on the back foot.
<BC1>The cool AF thing is... out Cary boxing trainer brings this up. Then she moves to the bag and shifts front foolish it looks. This is why boxing comes across as deceptively simple, when it's quite the opposite.

But I, and anyone else will get a lot of pushback for suggesting this because like 90% of trainers in both Boxing, Kickboxing, Muay Thai, and MMA don't know how to teach fighting off the back foot.
That I am ignorant about. But would competition in all arts, especially MMA... fights without basic foundation intact.

Last edited:
The parameters? First of all you're mostly on the balls, the front, of your feet. And not in an exaggerated way, mind you, but standing with the heels of your feet a centimeter or so off the ground. No more. It's very subtle.

Then you shift your bodyweight turning your hips, shoulders, and pivoting your feet to strike and move back accordingly.

when you strike you always want to make sure to have your bodyweight on the balls of the front foot, so you can quickly shift it back in response to a takedown attempt or lift it up to check a leg kick.

Basically: Front foot heavy like they teach in Muay Thai/basic MMA gyms = No good.

Flat Footed like they teach in a lot of bad boxing and MMA gyms = No good.
This is a very interesting post... and i'm certainly not schooled enough in boxing to know. But I do know boxing stresses maintaining balance. And off balance or stance out of whack is what tanked Frode's Muay Thai opponent. <NewGina>Frode jumped on it.

This is one reason Muay Thai came off my striking list. I just hate the stance.

Having said that, one can't be categorical. Frode's fight video shows that it's intelligent use of the style that makes all the difference. There's a whole method there.

<BC1>I don't think Muay Thai is outmoded, or will ever be outmoded. My impression is I think it can be outfought.

This is one reason Muay Thai came off my striking list. I just hate the stance.

Having said that, one can't be categorical. Frode's fight video shows that it's intelligent use of the style that makes all the difference. There's a whole method there.

<BC1>I don't think Muay Thai is outmoded, or will ever be outmoded. My impression is I think it can be outfought.

No doubt about it, and i would never suggest so. I think leg kicks and the Thai Plum (the control + Knees, elbows, throws, trips) are things of beauty and obviously incredibly effective. But for protecting against leg kicks and especially takedowns, the front foot heavy weight distribution and reliance on the clinch is a no no.

No doubt about it, and i would never suggest so. I think leg kicks and the Thai Plum (the control + Knees, elbows, throws, trips) are things of beauty and obviously incredibly effective.
Right... though I haven't the specifics on Muay Thai.

But for protecting against leg kicks and especially takedowns, the front foot heavy weight distribution and reliance on the clinch is a no no.
I'm kinda a party pooper... but basic boxing is about balance... ideal weight distribution... and what i know says drive off the back foot.

Defending against leg kicks.. and take downs... prolly an MMA encyclopedia. One thing for sure though... {<huh!}>MMA strikers as a rule can't strike & defend take downs.

i think using Stephen Thompson as being a one dimensional example was a terrible choice because, in fact, Stephen has what it takes to avoid leg kicks and takedowns. He thinks fast, he acts fast, he is light on his feet, has great balance and great distance and timing awareness and control.

Right... though I haven't the specifics on Muay Thai.

I'm kinda a party pooper... but basic boxing is about balance... ideal weight distribution... and what i know says drive off the back foot.

Defending against leg kicks.. and take downs... prolly an MMA encyclopedia. One thing for sure though... {<huh!}>MMA strikers as a rule can't strike & defend take downs.

Drive off the back foot and land/strike with the balls of your lead foot and then either spring back or pivot. And remember always engage your core (your ass, hips lower back, when moving) to make your movements faster and more fluid.

Notice how all the best movers in fighting tend to have their feet slightly wider than their shoulder, allowing them to throw their core into their movements. Doesn't even matter if it's boxing or MMA boxing (McGregor), Karate (Machida), or TKD (Wonderboy). Standing too tall compromises movement.

Drive off the back foot and land/strike with the balls of your lead foot and then either spring back or pivot. And remember always engage your core (your ass, hips lower back, when moving) to make your movements faster and more fluid.
Haven't gotten that far w Cary. Still on stance with forward / backward. The concept is cool AF.:cool:

Notice how all the best movers in fighting tend to have their feet slightly wider than their shoulder, allowing them to throw their core into their movements. Doesn't even matter if it's boxing or MMA boxing (McGregor), Karate (Machida), or TKD (Wonderboy). Standing too tall compromises movement.
I think in boxing,,, it's slightly more than shoulder width. Cary knows.:cool:

The others, don't know. Varies. McGregor could be good... but his stances go to sh+t rather quickly. Comes from the SBG elitism which isn't base art, IMO.

On standing too tall I'd say that compromises,,, which Muay Thai looks most guilty. But don't know Muay Thai. Boxing the knees are bent... not sure of degree.

I think Cary knows her stuff... but as she progresses into the whole basic routine... she kinda loses steam... which is very much my view of boxing... getting it altogether is much bigger challenge than people think.:eek:

That Hadley boxer really knew his way around the ring. I think that is the big lesson of that video. Not sure what that means for the thread.

He talks about Bill Lewis kicking him in the stomach during sparring sessions... Hadley had to change his stance. .. not sure how that figures in take down / leg kicks.

Really a good demo of boxer vs. kick boxer... <DCrying>who couldn't box for sh*t.

P.S. I can fault Hadley's form theoretically... but the important point is his boxing was measuered. The karate guy, no way.

i think using Stephen Thompson as being a one dimensional example was a terrible choice because, in fact, Stephen has what it takes to avoid leg kicks and takedowns. He thinks fast, he acts fast, he is light on his feet, has great balance and great distance and timing awareness and control.
<{CMPALM}>Thompson MMA holds up for marketing. Guy befuddles the befuddled.

<Goldie11>Pressures on, he starts looking like the karate guy against Hadley.

lol I see KarateStylist hasn't changed, still shitting up the sub. I'm curious though was the last account banned or did you just give yourself a fresh start?
Oh, KS. His legend lives on

i was taught this and this is how I train my boxers. For mma i modify it by letting the fighter have one foot down and the other up, but which is which depends on circumstances of the moment. You can generate a lot more power and move your head better if you can comfortably settle in on one foot briefly.

Back