squats - bench press - deadlift weight ratio

currently i'm just over 82.5 kg.
squat (always ATG) -245
deadlift- 365
bench- 405

You threw me for a second. I saw your weight and thought, "okay, he's around 182 lbs."

Then I saw your squat and thought, "Wow, a 540 lb squat!"

Then I saw the DL and bench and it hit me that you don't have a 2200+ lb total.

I'm a little slow. Just thought I'd share.

Darkballs...I'm glad you saw the light and everything, but damn!lol. How did you not realize there was something wrong with what you were doing?

I guess it shouldn't surprise me though. You don't see that kind of stuff much around here, but I was just in Vegas and saw A TON of dudes in cutoff shirts with 18inch guns and nothing for legs.

Darkballs...I'm glad you saw the light and everything, but damn!lol. How did you not realize there was something wrong with what you were doing?

well i really didn't start working out until after i joined the marines about ten years ago. i had no idea what to do and was basically pointed towards a 5 day body building split (without anything for legs). not knowing any better i just kept with that for several years and justified not doing any lower body stuff with the age old "but i run a lot" excuse. finally i was able to admit to myself that i wasn't the beast i thought i was, and i needed to start squating an not just wearing long pants in 100+ degree weather.

You threw me for a second. I saw your weight and thought, "okay, he's around 182 lbs."

Then I saw your squat and thought, "Wow, a 540 lb squat!"

Then I saw the DL and bench and it hit me that you don't have a 2200+ lb total.

I'm a little slow. Just thought I'd share.

HA! well that was my bad. i went with KG's since that seemed to be the trend, and didn't think to convert for my totals. oops.

I just wanted to say - I bet there isn't much this guy couldn't lift:

rise-of-the-argonauts-20080421004247174_640w.jpg

A book.

so, ones DL is typically heavier until you get to a crazy elite level, correct?

Deadlifting is a lot more taxing than squating. More than once a week is overkill unless you are a complete noob or using light weights.

No it's not.

Deadlifting is harder on most folks than squatting because most people work a lot harder on deadlift days.

Lots of guys pull really heavy on their deadlift day and then *** it up on squat day.

That makes the workout harder on the CNS. However, the movement itself is not a more difficult movement. A large number of lifters just don't push themselves in the squat as hard as they do in the deadlift.

Look at yourself and answer honestly, how many 90% 1RM reps do you do on your average deadlift day? What about squats?

Too many variables to determine the average ratio. Everyone's is different do to training history, injuries, limb lengths, ect ect.

No it's not.

Deadlifting is harder on most folks than squatting because most people work a lot harder on deadlift days.

Lots of guys pull really heavy on their deadlift day and then *** it up on squat day.

That makes the workout harder on the CNS. However, the movement itself is not a more difficult movement. A large number of lifters just don't push themselves in the squat as hard as they do in the deadlift.

Look at yourself and answer honestly, how many 90% 1RM reps do you do on your average deadlift day? What about squats?

To me it's harder. Maybe I am in the minority. I work the squat a lot harder than I do the deadlift. I think it has to do with lack of practice and the fact that I initially struggled to get comfortable with my form. It also seems that deadlifting in the 90% range is far more taxing on my body than squating in the 90% range. Consequently, because of the summer squat comp and my lack of effort on the deadlift, my squat has now passed my deadlift by about 40 lbs. Hopefully with the deadlift comp underway I will not be a pussy about the deadlift and make solid progress. I understand your point though. A lot of people do tend to let their deadlift numbers walk away from their squat numbers.

To me it's harder. Maybe I am in the minority. I work the squat a lot harder than I do the deadlift. I think it has to do with lack of practice and the fact that I initially struggled to get comfortable with my form. It also seems that deadlifting in the 90% range is far more taxing on my body than squating in the 90% range. Consequently, because of the summer squat comp and my lack of effort on the deadlift, my squat has now passed my deadlift by about 40 lbs. Hopefully with the deadlift comp underway I will not be a pussy about the deadlift and make solid progress. I understand your point though. A lot of people do tend to let their deadlift numbers walk away from their squat numbers.

You are an anomoly then. Of the people I know that do both, most of them deadlift more than they squat and they train squats more often.

They can't push their squats as hard as they do their deadlifts. Their form breaks down on the squat much more quickly than the deadlift.

Not that it matters. Work em both as hard as you can and you'll get gains :D

I train squat twice a week and deadlift once at similar training %'. I find deadlift more taxing and I've never really heard anyone say that squat is more taxing, but I think you have a point in that most people seem to squat like pussies because they suck at it or are scared of it. I think there are infinite variables to consider in form and biomechanics that can skew this. The major issue in deadlift for me and my form is a far greater hip angle at the start that taxes the muscles of the lower back more which are the slowest recovering muscle group in the body.

Bench 1.5x your body weight
Squat 2x your body weight
Deadlift 2.5x your body weight.

That's considered "strong", relative to the general population. Among people who lift competitively and train very hard, that's just the "minimum".

Maybe thats the case in the USA. But Id say even amongst natural trainers who are "competitive" and train hard, thats slightly above the minimum more average.

I've been deadlifting for a total of maybe 8 weeks, and I pull far more than I squat. Although I have grossly neglected my squat, and it's dropped, I've never squatted more than I pull.

My deadlift is currently around 50% heavier than my squats are. I'm sure part of it is that I have narrow shoulders, but I just find it much easier to do deadlifts.

Bench 1.5x your body weight
Squat 2x your body weight
Deadlift 2.5x your body weight.

That's considered "strong", relative to the general population. Among people who lift competitively and train very hard, that's just the "minimum".

Are you kidding me? A double bw squat is only 'strong' comparated to the general population? Gtfo. Have you seen the 'general population'? 2xbw squat for joe schoe on the street is 'superhuman'.

Back