Squat Technique

deadshot138

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score

Neat video from 1993 showing Louie Simmons explain the squat. Does this style still hold up today?

Neat video from 1993 showing Louie Simmons explain the squat. Does this style still hold up today?

Ask yourself how many lifters outside of multi-ply competitors you’ve seen squat like that.

Someone tell Ray Williams he is violating Louie's squat principles!
IdolizedPalatableChrysalis-size_restricted.gif

Ask yourself how many lifters outside of multi-ply competitors you’ve seen squat like that.
Matt Wenning and Chris Duffin, although Duffin holds the bar low as fuck unless that's just how the Duffalo bar makes it look. Vertical shins are the new meta, m8

Lol I'm fucking with you Jimothy. I think even Dave Tate conceded that knee travel is expected with raw squats. He had some rule of thumb where in multiply the heel was in line with the knee, wraps the knee was in line with the ankle and raw the knee was In line with the instep, rough guidelines i guess

Which part is he violating?
Ray-Williams-IPF-squat.png

vs

4d108f9e2e34bc33ca1f74440901b1d2.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

You yourself squat more like the former so I dunno why you'd switch to that vertical shin/hip-dominant/no forward-knee-travel squat for no good reason. But hey, if you wanna try it for fun knock yourself out. Most lifters do not squat more this way unsuited.

vs

hqdefault.jpg

You yourself squat more like the former so I dunno why you'd switch to that vertical shin/hip-dominant/no forward-knee-travel squat for no good reason. But hey, if you wanna try it for fun knock yourself out. Most lifters do not squat more this way unsuited.

See I'm trying to maintain vertical shins but it seems like without the suit you just cant do it completely tbh.

vs

hqdefault.jpg

That wide of a stance would fry my adductors.

Simmons method is very specifically for a very specific type of competition powerlifting.

Squatting / lifting weights athletic development is a very different thing to squatting to squat big numbers in a competition or even squatting to get Olympic lifts up.

Analysing and teaching squats is something I was obsessed with once upon a time. If you have a specific question regarding what method to use, feel free to ask.

why? It's an outdated cue that won't work for most lifters. Stick with what you're doing because you've got a strong squat.

Yeah from what I understand people used to say knee travel was bad, but they've determined that the stresses aren't that bad as long as you're in line properly. Weightlifters have tons of forward knee travel. It really seems to be whatever works best for your specific body leverages.

Yeah from what I understand people used to say knee travel was bad, but they've determined that the stresses aren't that bad as long as you're in line properly. Weightlifters have tons of forward knee travel. It really seems to be whatever works best for your specific body leverages.
A lot of that rigid dogma comes from the Cult of Rippetoe and his autistic devotees. They take a Starting Strength seminar and suddenly think they're experts on biomechanics. I remember they used to share their unsolicited advice on squat videos of weightlifters lol. This is bad form to them-
CreamyReflectingJackrabbit-size_restricted.gif

vs

hqdefault.jpg

Looking at this again I have no idea how someone could have a negative shin angle while squatting like Louie does. Does the suit physically keep you from falling backwards?

Back