Squat Form Check

1v1

White Belt
Reaction score
Today I was doing 5x3 on squats for 215. Just want to make sure my form looks good. This was my last set so I wasn't getting as deep as I probably should've. I'm squatting again this Tuesday so I'll upload another video with different angles.

[YT]x_T4Ur4oHdk[/YT]

Depth seems fine.
On your way down: more butt going backward, less knees going forward.
On your way up: more explosion.

Start by breaking at the hips first.

Make sure to keep your chest up (think "chest up" or "big chest") and a strong arch at the lumbar spine.

That kid in the back thinks he's bigger than you.

Squat looks good. Could have been a hell of a lot worse.

Make sure to keep your chest up (think "chest up" or "big chest") and a strong arch at the lumbar spine.

I thought you were supposed to first break at the knees and then sit back with your hips? I understand what you mean with arching my back though.

I thought you were supposed to first break at the knees and then sit back with your hips? I understand what you mean with arching my back though.

Low-bar: break at the hips first, then at the knees

High-bar: break at the hips and knees concurrently

You are breaking at the knees before breaking at the hips. You need to emphasize breaking at the hips.

Haha, that kid in the back curl-bombing your video.

Only major issue was slight forward knee travel. Try to think about pushing them out to the sides more. You could probably keep your back tighter too.Consciously think about squeezing your back tight, keeping your chest up, and elbows down. This will keep your back straighter and limit forward knee travel. Someone already said this, but try to explode out of the bottom. Your descent should be controlled, but a somewhat quicker descent can help the stretch reflex allowing you to move more weight.

That guy in the background had me laughing.

This was with 225 3x3. Been going heavier lately. I definitely improved my knees moving forward but this time they started caving in. Depth wasn't also as good as I thought even though I was hitting ass to calves.

[YT]k0S17oFFwEI[/YT]

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

In the more recent video, knees caving in wasn't as much of a problem as your knees (and your ass) moving forward as you ascended off the bottom (especially in the first set). You did improve your breaking at the hips, though, that is good.

Btw, a good angle for a squat form check video is 45 degrees to the side and back, around hip high, camera being still with a frame that includes both your heels/feet and your head (or at least shoulders) at the beginning of the video.

In the more recent video, knees caving in wasn't as much of a problem as your knees (and your ass) moving forward as you ascended off the bottom (especially in the first set). You did improve your breaking at the hips, though, that is good.

Btw, a good angle for a squat form check video is 45 degrees to the side and back, around hip high, camera being still with a frame that includes both your heels/feet and your head (or at least shoulders) at the beginning of the video.

You mean when coming up to have a more upright back? Is that what you mean when you say I'm moving forward?

No, back is ok. I mean you should stay on your heels and try to push your knees back as you are coming up from the hole. Your knees shouldn't travel any more forward after you've reached maximum depth.

220 5x3

[YT]2dtaKCokfkQ[/YT]

Let me know if this looks any better

I hold my breath and go the same speed as you until I get halfway down then I accelerate downward the rest of the way. This dropping motion allows me to create a bounce to accelerate upwards.

I hold my breath and go the same speed as you until I get halfway down then I accelerate downward the rest of the way. This dropping motion allows me to create a bounce to accelerate upwards.

I've heard accelerating out of the hole is good but bouncing isn't. Anyone else have thoughts?

You initiate the squat by breaking at the knees, starting with the hips will usually result in lower back rounding when squatting deep.

Back