Squat Form Check

Not only "no" (as witnessed by his fallacious reasoning and by just about any squat vid you will find online by a competent squatter), but if you take a look at the actual squat vids from that same dude's channel, he breaks at the hips and knees concurrently.

Example: at 0:22 of this vid he breaks concurrently and the hips and knees (exaggerating hip flexion over knee flexion):

Not only "no" (as witnessed by his fallacious reasoning and by just about any squat vid you will find online by a competent squatter), but if you take a look at the actual squat vids from that same dude's channel, he breaks at the hips and knees concurrently.

Example: at 0:22 of this vid he breaks concurrently and the hips and knees (exaggerating hip flexion over knee flexion):

First caption of the vid (PR attempt, not good form).. He also doesn

You mentioned to break concurrently in a high bar and hips first in a low bar squat before. But Candito is squatting low bar there I think.

Thats also what always was my impression (low bar at least). Youre supposed to break concurrently but for some people "break at the hips first" is a cue to make them sit back more when in reality they still dont break at the hips first.

This thread is confusing me lol.

Because if you are going to make the "that guy is an expert, therefore everything he says about squat form must be correct" argument, then your own level of squatting expertise matters when it comes to how competent you are at assessing the validity of his position.

On that same note, if you are making the argument "this guy squats more, therefore he must be correct", your own numbers also matter for the validity of your own opinion. So what is your height and bodyweight and how much do you squat?

You mentioned to break concurrently in a high bar and hips first in a low bar squat before. But Candito is squatting low bar there I think.

Thats also what always was my impression (low bar at least). Youre supposed to break concurrently but for some people "break at the hips first" is a cue to make them sit back more when in reality they still dont break at the hips first.

This thread is confusing me lol.

There is some variation when it comes to different anthropometrics. For example, I break at the hips and knees concurrently both when low-bar and when high-bar squatting (people have often commented that I squat low-bar with a "high-bar form", but that's just how it works for me). For another example, people with very short femurs will tend to have a less exaggerated hip flexion because they can stay more upright due to their limb ratios (this is the case with that dude, and in the vid I posted he still exaggerates breaking at the hip).

Most people will break at the hips first when low bar squatting, and break at the hips and knees concurrently when high-bar squatting. OP wasn't breaking at the hips at all, therefore I cued him to break at the hips first. End result was satisfactory.

Because if you are going to make the "that guy is an expert, therefore everything he says about squat form must be correct" argument, then your own level of squatting expertise matters when it comes to how competent you are at assessing the validity of his position.

On that same note, if you are making the argument "this guy squats more, therefore he must be correct", your own numbers also matter for the validity of your own opinion. So what is your height and bodyweight and how much do you squat?

5.10, 162 lbs, do sets with 235, PR is 265. But I have a lot of back problems from a car crash, so not really important numbers... That does however not exclude me from studying the subject... I don

Last edited:
5.10, 162 lbs, do sets with 235, PR is 265. But I have a lot of back problems from a car crash, so not really important numbers... That does however not exclude me from studying the subject... I don

Last edited:
Candito says:

- "by leading with the hips it forces them into an awkward bottom position where their lower-back is rounded"
- "[initiating the squat by breaking at the knees] is simply the only way to avoid your lower back from rounding"
- At 1:20 he shows the (presumably) different bottom positions when breaking at the hips and knees.

Here is the problem with these assertions: they are wrong. I can find you tons videos of squatters who don't break at the knees first, and who reach good depth with zero lower-back rounding.

As a matter of fact, breaking at the knees first is one of the most common mistakes beginners tend make when squatting and can lead to knee health issues.

TL;DR: If you want to educate yourself on proper squatting form, watch a lot of vids from a lot of different competent squatters.

Oh I have watched a lot of vids, and like he says in one of them, it is a controversial opinion but more and more are agreeing with it. If you look at the second vid where he exlains in more detail, his wording might be a bit of. Initiate concurrently might be a better way to say it..

The tons of vids you can find are usually of more or less experienced squatters. For beginners his advice is certainly solid and will help prevent buttwink when going ATG. I have certainly seen many people starting a squat like an ugly good morning because sitting back with a bar on your back doesn

Lol.

SD, you just don't get it.

Would be nice if the camera wasn't so high.

I would say to fix your walkout, the way you lift the bar out of the rack is unnecessary. Get into position and squat it up, then take a step back.

Close your hands and hold the bar properly, I think it was Cratos who said to actively pull the bar down across your back. I find it helps me stay tight through the lift personally.

Sorry to keep bringing this back, but here's 230 3x3.

[YT]2GNSDRPK0KM[/YT]

Last edited:
The tons of vids you can find are usually of more or less experienced squatters. For beginners his advice is certainly solid and will help prevent buttwink when going ATG. I have certainly seen many people starting a squat like an ugly good morning because sitting back with a bar on your back doesn

Last edited:
... Why should a beginner squat any differently than an experienced squatter? Shouldn't they instead be squatting depending on their body shape and the position of the bar on their back?

I wasn't aware that the whole "break at knees first" is a controversial opinion. Afaik, the whole break at both the knees and hips is the new and "controversial" opinion.

I've found that breaking at the knees first has helped me to sit back deeper. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me if the form is fine.

It has less to do with form, but rather with where the weight is focused on.

Proper form is whenever you have the weight balanced properly and not at all on your knees.

Back