Squat Form Check

stile0

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score

This is the heaviest I've squatted before. 225 3 times, about 90% of my training max. This next cycle I'll be going up to 235 and will try and form check again.

Honestly, I don't even know if I squat high bar, low bar, or doing some kind of hybrid variation. I think I tried low bar when I first started lifting, but was having trouble due to shoulder mobility and ended up doing a squat that felt comfortable (no idea what the end result was lol).

I try to get my ass as low as I can with each weight, but I notice with heavier weight I have more trouble getting lower which I attribute to tight hamstrings (they are naturally short) and tight hip flexors.

Either way, any advice is much appreciated. I've been trying to concentrate on keeping my upper body tight and driving my hip up out of the hole. It can be hard with the heavier weight to come out of the hole and I am concerned about whether I was GM'ing the weight or not. My knee buckles in the 2nd or 3rd rep so I already know I have to concentrate on forcing my knees out, but I'm not sure what else I did wrong.

Not bad. Would have liked to see from a better angle (maybe about 45 degrees instead of directly to the side). It would be easier to see if you're doing a good morning.

You seem to hit a bit of a sticking point right in the middle of your ascent. Your knees are still straightening, but your hips get stuck a bit. That's why you get that little air hump at lockout (your knees are straight, but you still have to bring your hips through). Focus on squeezing your glutes to help extend your hips. Should help make the lockout a bit more fluid.

EDIT: If the bar is on your traps you're doing high bar. If the bar is resting lower on your posterior delts then you're doing low bar. A better angle would help us tell if you're still unsure

Right on! Thanks. I'll have to get another video within the week. The holiday schedule kind of messes everything up though.

No problem man. I have the same sticking point and actually thinking about squeezing my glutes as I'm coming up really helps me get through it.

Your form looks pretty decent imo. You don't look like you're GMing it at all.

I guess some of your problems seem to stem from your flexibility (or lack thereof) so if you're dead-set on getting lower I think a heavy sesh with a foam roller and additional mobility exercises might be in order. Otherwise your depth is acceptable for a legal lift.
Can't really tell from the angle but your lumbar spine looks like it might be tucking slightly at the bottom of the squat. I might be wrong but I have the same problem and again, I've found that it is helped by daily flexibility exercises.

Tucking means spinal flexion. Rounding at the bottom of the squat. Looks pretty good, work on mobility to get greater ROM and reduce the amount of spinal flexion that could potentially accompany that.

5x220
I've been really trying to use my butt more. I think my squat is really starting to come along now.

Focus on driving your hips but otherwise looks solid

5x220
I've been really trying to use my butt more. I think my squat is really starting to come along now.

couldnt help but notice the browski next to you, even though we dont see his body, you can tell he wasnt doing full squat. lol

you're looking fine

Since you have low bf, by sight I can tell that your hamstrings arent firing properly and arent really active at the bottom. This is why you have buttwink. You can see how biceps femoris is working in the video.

Since you have low bf, by sight I can tell that your hamstrings arent firing properly and arent really active at the bottom. This is why you have buttwink. You can see how biceps femoris is working in the video.

i'm not really sure what that means. what can i do?

i'm not really sure what that means. what can i do?

I had the same issue once, which is why I was quick to think this. Really think about kind of "hamstring curling" yourself into the hole/bottom of the squat. Look at a pic of hamstring anatomy and when youre squatting try to feel it tense and flexing from its origin to insertion throughout the entirety of the movement use your hands and feel them while youre warming up or at home.

Id also do some smr/foam rolling. I use a lax ball and wooden rolling pin and sit on my dresser and do it. I can get at it the best that way instead of on the floor. Roll along its entirety and stop at different spots doing flexion and extension at the knee.

I had the same issue once, which is why I was quick to think this. Really think about kind of "hamstring curling" yourself into the hole/bottom of the squat. Look at a pic of hamstring anatomy and when youre squatting try to feel it tense and flexing from its origin to insertion throughout the entirety of the movement use your hands and feel them while youre warming up or at home.

Id also do some smr/foam rolling. I use a lax ball and wooden rolling pin and sit on my dresser and do it. I can get at it the best that way instead of on the floor. Roll along its entirety and stop at different spots doing flexion and extension at the knee.

thank you so much. i really appreciate it.

Back